001[clears throat] This public meeting of the board of education's facilities improvement oversight committee for January 20th, 2026 is called to order. Um, good afternoon. Thanks to everyone for being here and uh before we get started, I'll share a preview of what's on our agenda today. Uh we'll start with public comments and we'll move on to bond audit recommendations, our seismic grants, Portland energy fund, community benefits fund, 2025 bond procurement schedule, major athletic projects, and future agenda topics next steps. It's a good one. Um so let's go ahead. Why don't we introduce ourselves up here? I'm Virginia Lefort, zone 5, director um for PPS 4. >> Michelle Chase Miller. I represent zone 4. >> I'm Michelle Depass, board member for the entire all zones. [laughter] >> I represent all zones. >> We represent all zones. I'm
002just, you know, much about >> Yeah. Patty Patty Sullivan, board member. I'm not really a committee member, but there's a lot on this agenda I wanted to see. So, that's here. bunch of staff as well. Joanna Evenson, director of project management and construction. >> Sarah Norman, senior interim senior director of office of school modernization. >> Hello, I'm TJ Hopkins, program director with Presidio. >> I'm Janice Hansen, the district's internal auditor, board manager. >> Tom Rogers, chief of integrated operations. >> John Franco, senior chief operations. I'm Jennifer Edgars. I'm with Holmes, a structural engineer. >> Hi, Liz Large, contracted. >> Excellent. All right. Thank you. So, next we have public comment. Um, please make sure when you begin your comments that you clearly state your name and spell your last name. You'll have two minutes to
003speak. And once you hear the alarm go off, please wrap up your comments. We're pretty strict about cutting this off only so everybody has the same amount of time and opportunity to speak. So, uh, with that, let's go ahead get started. Cara's gonna look for the list. >> Yeah. Um I'm gonna call two at a time. You come up and sit over here where the blue tags are at. Lola Alita and CJ Watson. All right. Uh I'm CJ Watson. uh teacher at Lincoln High School. I've served as the head baseball coach at Lincoln High School for 12 years. I'm here today to help you understand the recent history of Lincoln baseball's use of facilities and why it is crucial this project is completed as soon as possible. Over the last 12 years, Lincoln Baseball has
004practiced in over 23 different locations spread across five different cities, which doesn't seem acceptable for a high school baseball program. Those five cities include Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Milwaukee, and even crossing the bridge to Vancouver, Washington. All three levels of our baseball program play and practice off campus. Our games have to start at 400 p.m. Because our city park permits only run till 6 p.m. This causes all of our baseball players to get early release up to three times per week, even for home games. Our [clears throat] freshman baseball team last year missed a combined 19.5 hours of school to get out uh for their home games and away games throughout the year. Our JV and varsity missed even more. This is too much class time for students to be missing. We are given Gabriel Park
005as our home field which is located in the IDB Wells boundary 15 minutes away from our high school. Gabriel Park baseball fields are not fenced in, causing the local community to allow their dogs to run freely, leave their droppings on the field, children to ride their bikes on the infield. Moleho moleholes have completely taken over the outfield, leaving hazards all over. There are no fences. There are no fences for dugouts, leaving just a bench on either side. This is the same setup you would see at a T-ball game. This is not an acceptable baseball field for us to be playing at. um especially when you consider the varsity level and you look at our surrounding suburban schools. This is one of the reasons why we're losing kids is our facilities. There are no bullpen mounts
006for our pitchers to warm up. Uh and there's just not a lot of pride when our kids show up at the at these fields. We rent out Hillsboro Stadium for our home games so we can assure to get played games and have somewhere for our kids to feel important, which costs us over $7,000 per year. Our community deserves a clear and concise timeline on when this is going to be completed. Thank you. >> Um, good afternoon. My name is Laya Almeida, ALM EI DA, and I'm a student athlete at Lincoln High School representing our softball team. We want to thank the board for the plan to build fields at West Silvin. We know it is the right solution. However, I am here to ask you to view that project with a new sense of urgency.
007Currently, despite our school's best efforts, Lincoln softball and baseball teams are in a logistics crisis. The baseball team travels 21 miles just to find playable ground at Hillro Stadium. My team is similarly trapped. Hamilton Park is unplayable most of the time due to mud. Delta Park is so far that we must miss valuable class time just to make start times. This leaves Wallis Park as our only option. While we are thankful for it, relying on a public park creates safety risks no student should face. Last season, a man followed our assistant coach while shouting the n-word at her. He then turned that abuse toward my mother and me, forcing us to flee while our head coach tried to help. We also face sexually inappropriate comments from bystanders. Some even directed at middle school students. I
008want to be clear, our coaches and AD are incredible. They do everything to protect us, but they should be allowed to coach, not at the security guards. We are seeing a historic rise in support for female sports. It is vital to show that young you young ladies that are safety that our safety and education are priorities. We know the fields at West Silven are coming one day, but given the safety challenges and the logistical strain, we respectfully ask for an accelerated timeline. We are eager for a home where we can focus entirely on our development, not our safety. Thank you. Thank you. Kim Borsham and Aton Wilcox. >> Hi, my name is Kim Worsham. W A M. I am a parent, a business professional, and currently a CTE business teacher at Lincoln High School. In
009addition, I have been part of Lincoln's baseball program for 15 years. The iconic quote, if you build it, they will come, came from the movie Field of Dreams. The phase, the phrase became a popular idiom for the idea that creating a quality product or experience will naturally draw people to it. In business, you are always trying to balance keeping stakeholders happy and generating revenue. We currently have a po Portland problem with both keeping molten no multa taxpayers in the city while [clears throat] stabilizing the number of students in PPS. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just use our public fields as marketing for the families we want to keep and attract to PPS and PDX. The 2025 bond listed West Silvin Middle School's field as one of the athletic projects. Did you know that
010in 2017 we also passed a bond that listed West Silvin as an athletic project? and we actually received conditional approval by the city of Beaverton in March 2020, but we let it expire. We also had another review in November 2021 with no luck. Now, another 5 years later, we are putting together schedules that have increased cost and timelines that push anything from happening out another two to three years, eight years later. for everyone in PPS's sake. How can we focus our city and oversight and accountability committees to prioritizing and getting the jobs done more efficiently? Now, time is of the essence. And while our city, county, and district struggle, we need to all rally around the goal of getting the athletic fields completed ASAP. With design proposals due as late as June 2026, how do
011we ensure that it's not just a dream that will never come true? We can plan, approve, and build entire high-tech manufacturing plants in Washington County in few years, but we can't put lights on an existing field or turf on a field that's designed and permitted that was already approved 6 years ago. To all stakeholders, [music] please do the right thing. Consider the weather in the BMW. Engage the right people, proactively work with the city, focus consultants, and get things done in the most efficient manner possible before it's too late. I'm assuming we all love PDX and we need to act now for PPS and our city. >> Thank you. Just just coffee. >> Oh god. Deliver some water. [clears throat] >> Same. >> Just did that. >> Okay. Um, okay. Let's go ahead and we
012can keep moving. [laughter] >> Uh, my name is Afton Wilcox. W I L CO X. Do I just begin? >> Yes, please. Yes. Uh, I want to start off on a good note. I'm really encouraged by the community engagement and decisive action that PPS took in the sun setting process with Jefferson in the midst of all of this absolute terror. Thank you for getting something done in Portland, something meaningful in a move towards equity and action and not just words. I also want to extend my gratitude to Safe Structures PPS whose tireless efforts contributed to getting the 2025 bond measure passed. I know there's a real fear that children's lives are in danger. And I would ask everyone in this room, is this the first time you've felt that kind of fear? What would it
013be like to feel that fear every day in any building, in every building? We need to confront uncomfortable truths about the current system of white body supremacy. This shouldn't be radical or revolutionary in a city that claims to be progressive. I'm not from Portland. I'm from Florida, and lots of folks like to make jokes about that, myself included. I thought when I moved out here, I would learn uh so much about being progressive, open-minded, and welcoming. But like many places, Portland is still very much segregated, and PPS is no exception. I've been doing a lot of learning these past few years and I ask you all to be open to learning together. Back to facilities, I expected the formula would get tweaked again and instead you're moving forward with a formula that is completely tonedeaf.
014I don't know if you're rushing the process to receive your grant dollars, but all the funds in question and allocation thereof need to clearly and transparently address meaningful retrofits, save the most lives, provide disaster resources to communities that don't get retrofits. Here is my official request for the public record showing the models used to arrive at the current prioritization formula. I shouldn't have to go through bureaucratic channels to make the same request. I'd also like to state that prioritization decisions absolutely should not move forward until community engagement around school consolidations begins in spring of 2027. Unreinforced masonry and other high-risisk buildings should be considered for consolidation. As we move forward reintroducing equity into the formula, I want to remind us that all kids deserve to feel safe, loved, seen like they matter. All kids deserve
015to be safe. >> Thank you. Thank you. >> Wait, Nicole Keer. Chair Lefort and Vice Chair Depass and Director Chase Miller. My name is Nicole Keer, KM Per, and I serve on the Lincoln Youth Baseball Board of Directors. I'm here to tell you about the kids in our youth program because they are the ones who dream about playing on the fields at West Silvin that your committee has the power to accelerate. I'll start by noting that Lincoln youth baseball families don't just come from the hills above Lincoln. They live in apartments on downtown blocks and in the rural areas up around Skyline. [clears throat] Every child who wants to play does, no matter if they can pay the registration fee or not. But let me get to the more important point for today, which is
016about our kids' connection to the fields that they play on. Not many are aware that our youth league maintains the majority of fields that they play on. The coaches and players are the ones who pull the weeds, repair the surfaces after heavy rain, and donate the equipment and material to level fields for safe play. Lincoln youth baseball players know that the first practice of the season starts with pulling weeds because they know that no one else is going to do it for them. These kids come out for field improvement days that start at 8:00 a.m. even this last weekend when the temperatures were in the mid30s. They write thank you letters to the donors who support them at our annual hitathon. They design their community middle school projects to raise money for their fields because
017they know that they don't match the conditions of the leagues that we play to our north, south, east, and west. even within the PPS boundary. They write essays in class about the baseball community that they've grown up in that's taught them to accept pride and wins and accept defeat with grace. Their coaches tell them, "Leave it all on the field." And they really do because they know that baseball happens in our league from the ground up. [music] >> Very dramatic music. took [laughter] me a minute to realize what was happening. I was hoping it would come at the front. >> Like a couple more sentences. That's [laughter] >> um so I wanted to share all this because PPS and our West Silven neighbors should feel good about supporting fields for kids who have learned the
018hard lesson to put in work for the things that they care about. And it is on their behalf that I urge the committee to finish Lincoln's modernization program and not delay this voter approved project. Thank you for your time today and I offer Lincoln Youth Baseball's ongoing partnership as an advocate and good neighbor. Thank you. >> Thank you. [clears throat] >> Is that everyone? Cara? >> Yes. >> Okay, great. Um, let's see. So, our first topic tonight is review of our bond audit recommendations. Uh, Dr. Franco, would you like to introduce the topic? >> Sure. Uh, thank you for this. So, we started out this last month with a a review of three audit recommendations. Try and stick to that piece. And so, we're going to review two today and I'll turn it over to
019both Sarah and TJ. Am I running the >> Okay. [laughter] >> It's a different >> It is, right? >> This is the auditor. >> Oh. Oh no, this is the wrong one. Janice's presentation. >> Oh. >> Would you want to >> introduce Janice? >> Yes. >> Do we want to do Janice first? >> Let's do it. So, you and then Um, sorry, it's out of here. So, yeah, let's go ahead. Sorry, I'm following the script. Janice, we would love to hear from you and hear um, thanks for spending some time on this and hear on your recommendations. Okay. >> All right. Thank you guys so much for letting me come and talk to you guys a little bit about the bond accountability charter. Um, what I would like to do is just kind of go
020over some background information with you to help understand how did we get here and kind of what is the recommendations from the contracted external auditors related to the bond accountability charter and I'll give you guys some suggestions to um think about as you guys go through the updating of the bond accountability charter. So, some background information here. Um, the PBS's bond ballot measure includes a paragraph on oversight and accountability. It says, um, "An independent group of community members will review quarterly reports and audits of how the bond dollars are being spent and provide accountability to the public until [clears throat] construction is completed. So that independent group of community members that is our BAC the bond accountability committee and the audits that are being referenced there are um performed annually by our contracted independent bond
021performance auditors. So to start thinking about um so just a little bit of background about what is the bond accountability? It's an advisory committee to the PPS board. The roles and responsibilities and committee charges are detailed in the BAC charter. The charter is approved by the board and members of the BAC are appointed by the board. So, I kind of threw in um like what's the purpose of a charter to start thinking about um as you work through your way and updating the charter. So, the external bond performance auditors in their year 6 bond performance audit which was issued in June of 2025, they made a recommendation for to revisit how best to use the BAC and strengthen the committee's roles and involvement in oversight to enhance the bond program and pro project delivery through
022BAC's technical feedback and insights on project details. And then it goes on to talk about what could that include. Um so there's like a couple of the things they're talking about is um you know providing detailed schedules with a critical path or project prior priority criteria for review. Um and then in addition to involving the BAC with the annual bond performance audits. Um so your your charge my hope for you guys tonight is to um walk through the BAC charter and work revisit that charter and make some updates that you um feel are appropriate. the in addition to the primary recommendation um that I showed on the last slide, there are three additional recommendations to kind of keep in mind as you look through the charter. These are really recommendations that I think the BAC
023um would probably want to have direct um impact on kind of putting that into it. So for example, work with the BAC to establish protocols for voting and formalizing any relevant recommendations. [laughter] So our practice is the BAC chairperson um likes to provide the board with their BAC quarterly report in p in person or online but directly to the board. Um so like um how would that recommendation be implemented into the actual charter? It could be updated just to say just that that the chair person will provide the quarterly report to the board in one of their regular meetings. Um and then ensure written BAC minutes include a bunch of information there and um you know for the part that talks about distributing materials at least 12 days in advance. You know I don't even
024think board members get their packets 12 days in advance. So I mean yes that is what the recommendation says but I think that communication with the BAC members to better understand what their timely needs are. Maybe something around 7 days might be more realistic. But again, um I think you would need to get some input from the BAC members um on how many days in advance that they really need the materials to ensure that they're uh prepared. Um and then also I would recommend or I'm suggesting that you would consider adding like requests for information or documentation from the BAC should be clearly documented in the meeting minutes. One of the things that I did in preparation um to talk to you guys is I went back and I watched quite a few BAC meetings
025and um it was really hard to um follow the meetings one to the next to the next. Um, sometimes BAC members were asking for information or documentation about a specific thing and then I didn't necessarily see that pop up in the next committee meeting and I'm wondering if um because right now they're only meeting quarterly. It's kind of hard to reflect back um a quarter later and remember all the things that you know they wanted. So I really think that anytime the BAC members are asking for documentation or a specific set of information that that should be clearly documented in their meeting minutes. Um and then to formalize the DAC recruiting and application process. So um when a vacancy occurs, it can get filled um as soon as possible to maintain full membership. And I
026believe that um director de pass worked on the recruiting a couple years back to try to diversify it. So I know that we have a a process that has been talked about in the past but um the recommendation is to formalize it and by formalizing it it kind of just means write it down. So those recruiting practices could be written right into the charter or it could be in the form of um like post on the BAC's website that shows what the recruiting um process is. Okay. So, um, I also kind of came up with some suggestions on things that I thought you might want to take into consideration as you work to go through the BAC charter. So, the first suggestion is to ask the BAC members for suggestions on what the committee charge
027what the committee charges they think would be most appropriate. Um, I really do think that for the charter to be it the best, it is a collaboration between the BAC members and the board. So, the board is able to clearly communicate what types of advice that they're looking for and then in collaboration with BAC members talking about what types of advice they would like to give to the board members. And then I would also suggest any changes to the BAC charter that you just give them to the BAC committee and and have them um go through and review them and approve them before finalizing. So I would also suggest increasing the BAC membership to include members with experience related to technology and curriculum in the 2020 bonds and also in the 2025 bonds. There is
028a group of funds um specifically identified for technology and curriculum and currently we the um BAC membership when we're the charter doesn't ask for those type of skills and expertise. It's it lists a lot of other expertise but nothing related to curriculum and technology. And I really think that the BAC membership is lacking those kind types of experience. So I would really like to see you guys update or increase the BAC membership to include at least one person with technology and one person with curriculum. And I thought about, you know, what that might look like for somebody who has curriculum experience and perhaps, you know, maybe they don't want to sit through all the BAC materials about the other things. Um, so I think that but they really want to give their advice related to
029curriculum. So, I just, you know, there's some ways to um maybe invite them on days on meetings whenever they're going to present on technology and curriculum. Um but again, that's something that can be talked through with BAC members. Um I would also suggest increasing the BAC meeting frequency. Um right now they're meeting quarterly and um you know in the last year it seems like they're presenting one meeting they're getting updates on the major modernization projects and then in the next meeting they're getting updates on um everything else. And if you think about that, that's means that really only two times a year the BAC members are getting updates on our big modernization projects. And um one of the things I just wanted to make note of is as we um roll into the next couple
030years, having three major modernization projects going on kind of at the same time is a lot. And I really think it would make sense to increase that frequency. I would suggest um a minimum of six meetings a year. Um but again, feedback from the BAC would be helpful, but increasing that would really make um getting through the materials and all of the projects that we have a little bit easier and maybe make the meetings a little less short or I mean less long. So they'd be a little shorter but meet more frequency. Um the a couple more suggestions is to revisit the following statement. The committee may request additional documents and provide advice to PPS staff on topics agreed upon by the committee and PPS staff. So when I look at this um line that's
031currently in the charter, I I it kind of throws me off because it's providing advice to the PPS staff and this is really a board advisory committee. So it's certainly okay to have um the BAC make provide advice to PPS staff as well. It's just um just kind of out of place potentially and um really when it says may request additional documents um the use of the term may is it's difficult to say like how does that actually work? Um you know maybe they request something and maybe we provide it. I'm not sure. So I would really revisit that statement. Make sure that you're um asking for advice to the board because it's a board advisory committee or clearly distinguishing what types of of advice that um the BAC could be providing to staff. Um
032I would also suggest consider adding a mission statement. Um just really missing a missing a mission statement. I think it would really help to clarify um what the board is trying to achieve by this advisory committee. I would also suggest revisiting the statement or one of the bullet points in the charter is topics and scope for the annual [snorts] um performance audit work plan. So currently what happens um pretty consistently over the last few years, the bond auditors will provide um staff a list of a proposed audit plan and that can include a lot of different things, but um then in collaboration with the contract manager, the PPS staffer who is the contract manager and um in the asked that was the director of OSM. And um so that contract manager had the ability to
033kind of go in and say, "Yes, I would like this scope included in this year's audit, but they could also say, no, maybe I don't want this scope included in this year's audit." And um performance audits are definitely different than financial audits, but it would kind of be like our financial statement auditors asking our CFO if they wanted us to cover the auditors to do payroll. You know, like those are not really the types of questions that financial auditors present to like the CFO to decide on what the scope of the audit is. So I would really like to see um the scope of the audit be recommended by the BAC. So that's why I would like to see it kind of in the charter that the scope is presented to the BAC and then
034the BAC can make a recommendation to the board on what scope they would like included in the annual bond performance audits. Um, I also was hoping May I ask a question really quick? So, on the scope of work currently, who who determines the scope for the audit? And I think you might have covered that while I was reading, >> but that's okay. So, um, it's kind of a long process, but typically what happens is auditors will meet with a variety of stakeholders. >> External auditors. >> Yep. The external auditors will meet with a variety of stakeholders. So they meet with board members, they meet with OSM staff, they meet with me, they probably meet with BAC members, and what they're meeting with everyone for is to try to gain an understanding of what risks are
035present. You know, what are the most significant risks to consider in that year scope. So what they'll do is they'll put together a proposal and the proposal could have five objectives, five objectives or two objectives. It just depends on um the feedback and what they hear. Once that proposal is created, they send that to the contract PPS's staff person who's the contract manager for their contract. and that person gets to review the scope and make decisions on what's included and what's not included. Um, did I answer your question? >> Is that a contract manager and is that also someone uh in management at OSM? Is that executive level like who who approves the what the topics are that are being audited? Who who's the final decision? the final decision maker in the past was um
036the senior director of OSM and so I think that kind of with our new staff I think that falls to Sarah um but I don't know ex or potentially TJ but um you know so that would be the decision maker >> it would be it would be me >> the >> that's what I was trying to >> that's going to be me and I think one of the big pieces within this is that they also seek feedback before they go out in terms of what we would like them to look at, >> right? And then they go out and they talk to a bunch of people and then they list what their suggestions potentially would be and then we we ultimately can determine what we accept or don't accept moving forward. >> Okay, that was
037the that was the answer I was looking for. Thank you. Um, okay. So, as you guys are thinking about what types of charges you may want to consider for the BAC charter update, I just wanted to draw your attention to some recent public testimony that um seems to indicate a request for the board to provide increased oversight around the bond seismic funds. Um, so something like that could be added to the BAC charter to ask the to provide the board with some advice as it relates to um our bond seismic projects. Um, I would also suggest revisiting the use of the term may in the charter um to kind of clarify in what situations it can occur. I think that um the the term may is just not very clear. So, it could happen or
038it could not happen. And anytime that is in the charter, I find that um it's just not clear about what's expected from for each roles and responsibilities. So as you see the term may in the charter, just think about what does that actually mean? What would you expect in what situations? And try to tighten up that language a little bit to um clarify. Then I would also suggest adding a charge to the BAC to monitor and report to the board on the KPI's key key prevent key performance indicators established in the comprehensive management plan that is referenced in the Presidio contract. So in the contract it says within 90 days there will be a comprehensive management plan that outlines lines a variet I mean a whole long list of things but from that comprehensive management
039plan I would suggest providing that to the BAC and asking them to pull from that like specific key performance indicators ers like um that they could monitor and report to the board on uh for that. And I feel strongly about the audit scope. So apparently I put that in there twice. Sorry about that. Um, but I do really didn't mean to put it in there twice, but it is important to try to make sure that um the scope of the audit is [clears throat] recommended by um the BAC or some other way of of doing it. And then um in a staff report provided to the policy committee a couple months ago um there was a statement announced that the BAC closely monitors increases in bond funded contracts. And as I followed the BAC meetings
040I didn't really see how they were um closely monitoring increases in bond funding contracts. So, I would just suggest formalizing that. Um, if that is currently the practice, I think it should be in the BAC charter. Or, um, if it's not the practice, then everybody should be on the same page about what the BAC does and does not monitor. So, if in fact they're not closely monitoring um increases in bond funding contracts, that's okay as long as staff understand that that is not what's happening. So, just being clear and concise about what is and is not really considered a VAC charge. So I just wanted to give the kind of wrap up a reminder that the advice provided by the BAC it's for the board. The BAC charter can be updated to reflect the monitoring
041oversight and accountability measures you want to see and the BAC reports can include the advice you need to inform your decision making around the bonds. Um, and if what you want or need from the BAC does not fall neatly within a charter, the board could pass a resolution identifying specific advice requests and monitoring um or oversight and accountability responsibilities for the VAC. Do you guys have any questions? I have a lot of questions, but I don't want to go first. First, I said I don't want to go first. I go second or third. I I want to hear what what what else is what other people are thinking. I I [clears throat] have a small list. I just have a comment. Um I just wanted to thank you for your time and these suggestions. uh
042feel like this is exactly the kind of conversation um that we should be having before the board agrees on uh updates to the new charter. Uh it's really important because this the BAC is part of you know the language and the bond referral. So this isn't something required to do this. So I love the detail. I love the suggestions. Um I was wondering what role maybe know this. Um, so I guess we kind of cover who ultimately decides the scope of the audit like at any point does that come to the board to approve the scope of the audit or does it just come to us? >> No. >> Okay. It's just provided. I mean, the contract manager for the contract with our external bond performance auditor um could certainly seek out a variety of
043of input to help make that decision about what scope would be included in that year. There's nothing that would prevent them from reaching out and saying, "Hey, this is what we were thinking. Does this make sense to you guys?" Um but the way it is written right now it's just not clear. >> Okay. Um and then in terms of um having facilitating the process for the BAC to give their input on the charter. Um is that something that you know Christie is director splits the the board liaison to the committee. Would she facilitate that? So, I did chat with director split last week and they were planning to have an agenda setting meeting for the next BAC meeting and I think that's been rescheduled. Um so she wasn't able to attend that meeting but um
044she suggested I go and and try to provide some input um which I'm willing to do at any point if it gets [music] rescheduled or um yes the short answer is yes if director split is available. It is certainly my hope that she will communicate back and forth with the chair [clears throat] of the BAC to try to talk through um what that might look like. Ultimately, it's the BAC is the board's advisory committee. So, any changes will have to be approved by the full board. So, um, my hope is that tonight you guys will start on the process, um, and make some suggestions and talk through them and then refer from your committee today when you're done talking about it to the draft to the BAC so they can talk about it in their
045next meeting, which I [clears throat] may or may not be towards the end of this month. I'm not sure it's been scheduled quite yet, but I know that it's getting close to that time of kind of scheduling that meeting. So once the BAC goes through all the edits and suggestions from this committee, they can add to it um make notes and then refer it to the full board for review and approval. And I know that today it's just the committee members. So there may be additional input from your other board colleagues. Um and I don't know exactly how to kind of work that through, but it might be a situation where um when the charter comes back from the BAC that it could be an agenda item for the board to talk about, but that's
046for you guys to decide. But ultimately all the edits will have to be approved by the full board before they're finalized. >> And just from a process perspective, I think that's you know one of the the facilitation I think of of the charter piece I think is conjunction [clears throat] is in conjunction with staff as well in terms of the facilitation. I mean it's not something we would expect directors to just go in and think you know this piece. Um, but at the same time it's it's going to be the BAC's I mean it's your committee ultimately and the BAC rep, but I think Greg is actually here who's going to be participating in that conversation. >> Um, I don't want to call you >> but um, but that's in conjunction that's in partnership staff
047in terms of the facilitation. >> So my questions have to do I mean I have a a question that's high level and very detailed. The first one is again that I think this work should be directed by Dr. Franco and Sarah. >> I mean this is wildly different from anything that we've talked about before in the years I've been here. Um it should come this work should be originating at that level. Um I'm I'm really curious on recommendation 19. Um, I'd like to hear from the folks actually managing projects what the BAC can do to add value. Um, I know I've worked with the BAC and I I did establish a I thought a really nice recruitment uh several years ago that uh resulted in, you know, people under 40 women and actually women of
048color on the committee and I was really proud of that work. Um, but right now what I'm hearing is seems duplicative of work that other people are doing. And in a season where we're going to be making quite a few cuts, $50 million to be exact, I'm really concerned about putting more demands on staff and we'll have actually less staff and we'll have committee members like, you know, I need to have this and we're going to have fewer people to do the work. So, um I'd really like to hear from the folks act actually doing the management because we need their buy in uh what it is that the BAC can do to add value to this. Um again, the ultimate responsibility is with the with the superintendent. Um that is ultimate. Um but so
049that also um on the recommendation 20 um 12 days advance is unreasonable. Um even including the charter that we've received. We we didn't have that. We got that two days or yesterday I think. Um anyway um uh I was curious about the there's a detail about transcription and notes and adding attendance and I think attendance is taken as far as I'm concerned who's there who's used absence. I don't know the detail of the um of of that but I'm I'm thinking okay well now that's a staff person that's going to be taking notes or we use Mr. or AI or MIS AI. Um because the BAC is an advisory committee, I would not want to add more meetings. Um the cadence is about quarterly right now. Um I I would like to hear from them
050if they want to meet more and just hang out more together. Um add two meetings. Um I do agree with formalizing the recruitment application process. I think that would be great to write that down. And you know, the results spoke for themselves. I don't know where we're at with the committee members, but I I think we could write that down and replicate that. My biggest question is kind of where the lines drawn between the BAC, which is an advisory committee, to the board, not to staff. Um, uh, I also have concerns about adding the seismic language into the charter where, um, we do need to assure that the seismic work gets done and we need to ensure all of the work gets done. There's a lot of work. It's nothing's more important uh in terms
051of there's not a hierarchy of work. There's there's plenty of work that needs to be done. It's all important, but we wouldn't want to put all of that work into the charter because it's it's just too much. >> And I'll just note director to pass in the existing charter there is a reference to seismic. It's in the the work that the committee may engage. Okay. >> And it includes references to seismic. So there's the and Janice and I have met a couple times about how to think about the governance level articulation in a charter versus specific tasks and that's the that's the kind of leveling to think about. We want the charter to be clear and to provide guidance about what's expected [music] um of the committee, you know, what it what its scope is,
052how it does often it does its work and with some level of detail enough to provide guidance. I mean, how how they do that work, but if it gets so prescriptive that it it needs to be updated all the time, it's probably too specific. So, we're trying to find that balance in these in these issues. So anyway, >> I'd like it to be higher level, I guess, more, you know, it's a it's a volunteer committee that advises the board. It's not staff. Um, and so I'd like to see it. Yeah, I I agree. It needs to be clear. It needs to be not updated every 6 months, and it needs to be perhaps less um specific, less prescriptive. Um be I also again want to assure that we're not duplicating work in a in a
053time when we're going to be shorter on staff than we are today. So, >> how do you see I'm curious like what do you find duplicative and what your >> uh let's see well so on on the year on year six recommendation number 19 work with the BAC to establish protocols for voting and formalizing any relevant recommendation recommended advice that can be presented in BAC quarterly reports or the board to the board were provided in real time. I want to know how that would differ from what the staff reports that we regularly receive as a as a full board for instance. How are we again with a constrained uh work workforce? I'm I'm just curious if if there's already responsibility that's happening in OSM, I wouldn't want to see it duplicate duplicated uh on the
054BAC. I don't think they need to be working on the same things at the same time. Well, the BAC report to the board is um something different than a staff report. It's they're doing. So, it's not really a staff responsibility to draft that. I think that the chair drafts it. >> I'm not sure. >> Well, that that's what I want to clarify though because right now it looks like we're going to be getting a report two different two reports about the same thing. So my concern is just uh efficiency basically >> and I will say that the pieces around the we're streamlining processes so the level of updates you're going to get consistent updates to the board which a lot of the times is going to be information that we have shared with the BAC
055right so there is a level of duplicity >> duplicity duplication >> duplication not duplication [laughter] >> not duplicity >> yes duplication very very >> so how does the information flow then? is it is it coming from staff to the BAC? >> Correct. Staff gives a report to the to the BAC on various agenda topics to which then since the quarterly reports they would provide a summary then update to the board which Cara has provided. I think I think care provided both times, right? I guess and also too that's on top of the um updates that we gank at every regular session, >> right? Okay. I was going to I was just going to put this in context for everyone on the amount of reporting that the bond program does to all of the different committees
056and entities that we do it to. Um um on a monthly basis we report to the FIO and the BOE. On a quarterly basis we report to the BAC. We sometimes report to the BOE twice a month if we are on the regularly scheduled board meeting and then if we are scheduled again in the in the working session. All of the all of everything that is reported from staff is is created is done with staff. >> Mh. >> And ultimately the agenda setting the reports that we go through on a quarterly basis with the BAC which they do see the variances within the contracts and how the money is spent. Um they that is done on a quarterly basis. The agenda setting thus far I've only had one BAC meeting with the BAC committee thus
057far just because of where we fell within the year. Um the cadence of those meetings was that one quarter that we um the bond program will report on the modernizations and CBSE and the next the next quarterly meeting would be on all consolidated projects. So everything outside of the modernization and CBSE that that would be the next agenda item. So that may be where some of your following confusion may come from because it doesn't go because then we pick up on the modernization and CBSSE in the in the following quarter meeting. Um you you guys have already said it. It's an advisory it's an advisory committee made up of volunteers. Um all of them have construction design uh engineering >> public sector private sector. uh their their resumes are on our our website. I also
058want to draw our attention to our website and the public notices that we deliver the meeting minutes that are captured there. The um you know that also lives on the the BAC the portion of our PPS website for um anyone that would want to know what is going on with the BAC it is there. Um so I just wanted to kind of draw attention to that as well. So, but just so you know, like we are reporting, we're doing a bond report on a almost a weekly basis. >> Great. Just thank you. >> Yeah. >> So, Liz and I met um to try to like figure out what is it actually going to look like? How can we talk through this in in this committee meeting? And um so I was trying to work on
059the charter and other people were too. And um we just kind of decided I'll just make a bunch of suggestions and you guys can think about them and then kind of relay which suggestions that you would like to um update the charter with and potentially Liz or or somebody else could um take a swing swing at at incorporating them to some extent. Um, but I'm just making suggestions for your consideration as it relates to the BAC charter based off of just my own monitoring of what I see going on and listening to kind of public testimony and things that I've heard um the [snorts] public ask for also. And and I think you know the ultimate question is what does the board want from the VAC? And the charter should make that real clear. what
060is helpful in that advisory role to the board and um in in my job is to take what you want and get it into governance language into this document. What you have is the first draft that that is the first stab at the audit recommend most of the audit recommendations >> and some other pieces that jumped out some of Janice's suggestion technology and curriculum being you know one of the experience categories we consider but it's the start of the conversation and the ultimate decision is what is helpful to the board and I think being thinking about this flow of information from these different channels. BAC comes from a different lens than staff, but how how will you use that? How do you get the most yield out of that volunteer time that advances the oversight
061of the bond? >> It it seems like their original charter was literally to uh report back that bond dollars were being spent as intended. >> Correct. >> That was it was very cut and dry. it wasn't, you know, um, and and you know, they're they're all professionals. They're amazing professionals. I I was I was so lucky to work with people that spoke some of the similar language. Um, so I think framing it in terms of what's helpful to the board is interesting. Um, I I mean, I would be in favor of making it less more simple and not uh and less detailed. I really like that they were like, "No, you can't spend it on this. Voters voted for X. We need to produce X. That seems pretty cut and dry." Um, and they and
062they did that very well. And they do that very well. >> I agree with your comment about spending. Um I sent some feedback [clears throat] um about mirroring the ballot language which um says it says no independent group of community members and that no and independent group of community members will review quarterly reports and audits of how the bond dollars are being spent to provide accountability to the public until construction is completed. um that I support the idea of getting the spending language back into the charter because it's not quite there right now. >> Mhm. >> I would like to hear from the committee about how often they would like to meet um because it is a different board. >> Um so I wonder if it would be more efficient to have six meetings for
063them because it's not just such a huge chunk of work. kind of thing from the board perspective, you know, we'd only be hearing about, you know, their feedback on the consolidated projects twice a year. Um, which feels we a little bit behind. I feel like I'd be hearing about everything after the fact. So, I would be very interested hearing our feedback. And I also in terms of like, you know, I kind of look at it as a scope of work in the charter. So, I like specificity um so that we know exactly, you know, they know exactly like what we need them to cover off on. So, um that's my point of view. >> Well, also I just want to remind so these suggestions are not they're just your suggestions as someone that looks at
064this stuff. They're not, you know, written in stone necessarily. there a person's ideas about what should be included um is that right or [clears throat] the recommendations auditors >> the auditors suggested those >> but there's two sets of recommendations there's the little [clears throat] yellow boxes recommendations those are from >> suggestions are mine >> they're yours and the >> recommendations the year and the recommendation >> are from the bond auditor >> straight from the bond audit so there are two separate One was from the bond audit one group. The other group is just from the office of internal auditor. So >> which is just so everybody knows we the board has two employees. One is the superintendent and one is the office of internal auditor. So we're we're actually your managers. >> Those are the
065ones from the >> these are ones from the bond audit. Yes. The other ones are um just suggestions that for consideration and and again the public testimony is always you know by advisement because we have people coming in you know testifying on a range of things um that I think our job is to listen to that and to take it under consideration but not um necessarily adopt everything we hear because otherwise we have a we wouldn't have a ship that is this tight. Um, but I think yeah, we want to take public testimony under adisement >> and one of the most important things for me is that it mirrors our our language and our referral language. So the project is called out that it's included. >> Do we need to So the referral language is
066like that's the referral language. Do we >> It says that we will have a committee that does this. >> Do we have to mirror? >> Uh, >> I think so because it's part of the referral. was asking um our lawyer if if she thought >> well that's a public representation of what the bond account committee will do. >> I don't know it's a technical legal requirement that the exact language be in the charter certainly want the charter to reflect that that there's consistency between the two >> and it doesn't hurt to put it in there either. I mean I just didn't put that there. that is the that um you want to make sure that that the committee is fulfilling the representation and the commitment made to that can be done in a number of
067ways but that is that's the outcome we want through the language you suggest um sorry just one more thing I wanted to mention that typically recommendations from auditors s are reviewed and discussed in the audit committee. And one of the reasons why like myself and Patty are here today is because we didn't want to have one more committee to add to um the agenda for staff to report to the audit committee about these things. So we are trying to go where they're already the staff are already here and all the expertise are already in this committee. So we were super mindful of trying to cut down on the amount of re um different committees that need to um be reported to where we can. And um so just FYI like typically we would talk about
068audit committee recommendations in the audit committee but in an attempt to try and reduce the number of committees um you know we're trying to come to the committee where the recommendation could be talked at about. So, it makes sense for us to give our I'm trying to figure out like how it's wired um our individual recommendations to the audit committee before it comes to the board or we having like a larger discussion as a board about this. My understanding or can decide how it wants to handle but my understanding is it was coming here >> right it was going to the BAC for review to provide feedback back to this committee and then it >> that's not that's not because that's a legally required path that's the path since the work is being done >>
069um >> here I I could tell we have a couple differences of opinions so I'm not sure um if we would make a recommendation as a group and figure out how to >> how to do it. [snorts] >> Um, >> well, as the next step, it needs to go to the bond. Well, I think we need we have a draft in front of us that we hopefully I would like to add some edits to it. >> I mean, I like the red lines generally. I've skimmed them. I haven't read them, but I skimmed them in between work and work. Um, I I like them generally. I would like to add some just commentary to that document. >> You want to talk through it? >> Well, I'd like to write it because I'm a better writer
070than a speaker. >> Um, I don't know that I wouldn't get it done today. >> Um, but I can prioritize it. Absolutely. Um and I think looking at time also maybe it would be helpful >> um to sit with the drafts add anything um want to add to it um and then either pick the conversation back I mean could we do parallel where we have time to sit with the draft and the BAC has time to provide some input at the same time we don't have to. >> So looking at bond accountability the BC member I see sitting on the back here. >> Yeah. So our our next meeting is scheduled for um the 28th. >> Our BAC meeting is scheduled for uh January January 28th. >> 5:30 5:30 to 8:30. >> It's it's out
071there. >> I will not be >> I won't be here. Three of us in the room have a birthday that [laughter] I hear as well. >> It's a big day. But yeah, that's currently that is current that's the current BAC uh quarterly meeting is currently scheduled for that day. >> So that's the 28th at 5:30. >> Mhm. >> It's an in-person meeting this time. We also alternate whether they are in person or virtual. Um and this meeting is at Jefferson High School. >> Yes. Go Demos. >> Demos. >> So maybe what we do is have I say >> a former right >> I mean of Jefferson >> okay did you work at Jefferson at all or >> okay you just love the deos >> and all athletics >> so for the meeting next Wednesday um
072it sounds like not be We have an opportunity to submit our thoughts >> to the committee. >> Yes. >> In advance. Uh I >> or does it go through through Christie? >> Great question. >> Uh that might make >> I think I think you want to send them like >> through legal I'm also the I have I'm a legal assigned attorney to the BAC also. >> Okay. >> Take those incorporate them. So they have the the options, the materials, Janice's recommendations, and then we can get a we can get that together if you send them to me and that avoids the >> creation of a serial meeting. >> That's exactly what I wanted. Okay. So if we send them to you, that avoids that and they'll make their way to the BAC. >> Yes. Yes.
073>> Okay, great. Okay. Um, thank you for all of your work on this and more prepared uh for the next couple weeks update the charter. So, um, know it's a little clunky, but I love that we're having this conversation before and not during after. So, thank you. All right. So, thank you, Janice. Thank you, Dr. Um, so let's see. Fair enough. We have um we just take it from the top with presentation and walk through seven. It sounds great. >> Yeah. >> Okay. So we have uh six thing or five things to provide some updates on. As you can see here uh we do have u two u bond audit recommendations that uh we're asked to provide updates on. So we'll give some progress checks on that. Also Jennifer Edgars is here from home structures
074to talk a little bit about where we are at in regards to our grants uh for the seismic. Um, also Tom is going to provide us an update on PF funds where we're at with that that process. Um, also TJ then is going to talk through kind of so so you can see our our our bond procurement schedule which will give you a better idea too and that will lead also into kind of that next topic around major athletic >> and and Dr. just a point of clarification in the interest of time and that we just talked about the bond audit recommendations. Do you want to jump to the next? >> We move forward. >> Yes. >> Okay, great. >> Chair decision. [laughter] >> Good suggestion. Nice. >> Well, they're different on >> Oh, some
075of some of the ones unrelated to the charter. >> Yeah. Unrelated to the charter. >> Unrelated to the charter. Sorry. Yes. Slide the, uh, year six recommendation number five, uh, the written plan and methodology for allocating contingency funds. >> Yes. So we'll move >> we'll move to this one and I'll turn it over to Sarah to kind of talk through this. But this one is >> there the recommendation was to develop and formulate plan or methodology for allocating bond contingency funds including identifying how project savings will be assigned to bond projects or return to the 2017 program contingency fund. So Sarah, >> yeah, I I mean again, these are these are um this is the 2020 bond program and it was a recommendation made by their by them and uh we're currently working through trying
076to reconcile the 2012 2017 and 2020 bond. Um, and so we kind of wrote a a um paragraph about how we if there is recognized savings within or it goes into a contingency and then we go back to the bond language to make sure that we have fulfilled everything that was requested in the 2012 2017 bond program. And if that truly is at that point um if it truly is savings then are we moving that forward into the next bond? You know how what are we doing with that? >> Yeah. Yeah. >> Yeah. And so, um, what we have been doing in some of the bond programs, we've got kind of seismic that's been in a few, right? And so, some of that savings has been identified to go into a seismic, um, um, because
077it's it sticks with the bond language within that bond program and there's a need. Um, [clears throat] and so I re-roofing is a good example as well. We had roofing in a couple of bond programs and we could only touch so many. And so then we recognized some savings and so because that was part of that bond program language, those got we we added additional re-roofing projects to that bond program at a later date. And so that's kind of how it has been working. >> Um and it does I agree it needs to be formalized. It needs to be written down. It needs to be all of those things. And we're in the process of working through that and making sure that that happens moving forward. >> Excellent. Sounds like an improvement over our practice.
078>> We're working. We're working. >> Um, do do the So, if something's on the 2020 bond, does the contingency and any savings stay within that program? >> It stays within that bond program. >> It's spent within that program. >> It's spent within that bond program, right? So, whatever language is associated with that bond program, that is what whatever contingency or whatever savings we find in there, that's what it can be spent on. >> Okay? So we can't all of a sudden just add a wing to a to a hospital because we decided that we had savings within the 20 2017 bond program. Just >> obviously that is fac but just saying >> you're not taking 2020 dollars and moving them forward to another bond. It stays within correct the scope and the language of that
079>> within the scope of that particular bond. Correct. >> That's great. >> And that that uh 2017 bond was the first one at environmental health and safety. So that was a big you know interesting bucket. I was on that advisory group and uh so there's a lot of um uh you know room for opinion in terms of like is everything completed >> correct there's you know plumbing that is off and hasn't been replaced is all the lead paint actually stabilized those are security all those things. I'm sure you're going through all of that. we are. And the first thing we had to do was make sure that we reconciled the money, >> right? We needed to make sure that we had reconciliation of the money and we understood what was what um was encumbered and
080not encumbered because you could think that you have money but it's encumbered in another contract. And so we've been working through that on each one of the bond programs. And so we and we will be doing financial reporting on a monthly basis to the board of education. So you guys will see you guys will see this moving forward. Yeah, you guys will see this moving forward. It's one of the things we also present to the BAC. So, >> okay. So, our next uh topic is just give you an update in regards to seismic and Jennifer's here to kind of talk through update in terms of where we're at with plants. >> Um, sure. So, I'll just jump right in. So, we have um two comprehensive campus retrofits. Um, of course, all these projects are being
081funded by bond funds and um potentially state of Oregon seismic rehabilitation grants. Um, and as a reminder, you can apply for a campus for up to $2.5 million um to help fund a seismic upgrade um of a um of a school building on a campus. Um so the comprehensive campus retrofits Beverly Carwood um the status of that project is also that design was awarded in the last bond uh board meeting. Um so that team is getting up and running. We also have an SRGP grant application that we're submitting this week. We're actually printing it today. Um it is due 5:00 p.m. um this Friday and Son. So um that will get there in plenty of time. Rose City Park is the other full campus uh seismic retrofit um notifi notification of intent to award has
082been issued um on all the rest of them. um on the targeted retrofits. And again, a reminder of what the targeted retrofits are are the um high-risk building parts or high-risk building elements in schools. Um for AWorth, Beach, Capitol Hill, Kelly, Richmond, Vernon, and Winter Haven. Um all of those uh notification of intent to award has been issued. It's gone through the RFP process. in the proposal stage and then that will come to the board for official approval. Ainssworth, we are also working on a grant application for um two building parts at Ainssworth and that will also be submitted this week >> questions. Um, I have questions around like I guess the assumption is that since we're planning to move forward with these sites, we've thought through um consolidations and deferred maintenance and determined that
083it makes sense to be investing time and money into these buildings. >> Yes. And I will say so one of the things too is because we do have a right size it's going to be kicking off here pretty soon. And if you remember pieces of of the criteria not only seismic risk but facility improvements in the moment and we're just thinking globally right in regards to moment I think we have to but I think that's as we we know that the right sizing conversation is also working in parallel track to what we are also working on is is a comprehensive plan for all the other schools right and I think that's the other piece too we know that we don't have the funding for it right now but I think as we just talked to
084that whenever we can get funding once we create that that list in parallel with we know the right sizing conversation is going to happen we can immediately start allocating funds and so this is kind of an initial step right for that that first 100 that 100 million which is we've allocated 75 million because we want to make sure we have enough in case issues arise right we always we don't want to say well you guys know it's always better to do it this way and then and then it comes in and 75 million is where we're at, then we immediately then we could say, "Okay, there's 25 more million that we could start allocating to improve our our seismic risk assessment across the district." >> So, this [clears throat] is based on 75 million, >>
085correct? >> And and securing the grants, I assume >> and securing the grants. >> Fingers crossed. >> Okay. So, our next topic, Tom is going to lead us through this with PA. >> Good evening, directors. Uh here's a quick um Portland Clean Energy Fund Strategic Program 16 update. The slide is the grounding context for the PAP because it explains why progress looks a little different from maybe some of our bond funded work. Uh PPS was awarded $16.9 million through the city of Portland's climate investment plan under strategic program 16. Of that amount 10 million $10 million is PAT agreed upon and can be used for thermal comfort improvements. Importantly, PF dollars are not advanced upfront. Funds are released only after proposals are approved and then in phases. Each phase must be fully completed, invoiced, and
086reconciled before we can request the next trunch. That structure protects public dollars, but it means sequencing and timing matter. So, the takeaway here is it's not a delay issue. It's compliance and cash flow structure. Uh, additionally, we did lose our amazing energy and sustainability senior program manager, Eron Pressburg, uh, a few months ago, but we are in the late stages now of hiring a new person uh, who actually leads this program. At our current state, uh, we've completed, uh, technical energy audits at 12 schools, which is the foundational step required by this PF um, before any construction funding can be released. We have $700,000 in planned near-term projects focused on lighting and weatherization. These are eligible lower risk scopes that improve comfort and efficiency while we wait for larger construction approvals. In parallel, we've submitted
087thermal comfort design funding requests for Alita Elementary, Alita Annex, and Clark Elementary. That design work um is what positions us to move quickly once capital funding is completely authorized. Looking ahead, 2026 work will focus on early design, long lead equipment procurement, and hazardous materials coordination. All of which are critical path items to reduce future construction risk and schedule impacts. All of this is is ultimately um a relationship with PAT. We're in lock step with them on these, especially for that that $10 million. The bottom line is PPS is progressing PF work within program requirements and coordinating closely with capital planning to ensure the projects are positioned for construction once uh each funding phase is approved. So we coordinate all of our PF projects with our longrange capital plan as well. We are operating exactly within
088the funding rules which is frustrating but we are operating within those rules. funding work that's allowable today, protecting the industry, this excuse me, protecting the district from financial exposure and ensuring we can execute quickly when the next funding approvals come through. Concludes my briefing. Are there any questions? >> Will we continue to um apply to PA funding? >> Absolutely. >> So, sorry. >> Oh, um I was curious about energy auditing. Do you have several firms doing energy audits or >> We do have two firms doing energy audits. >> I was just curious about that. I've worked with one of them quite extensively. >> Okay. >> I don't know if it's the same one, but I was just curious if that was kind of uh project process. >> Sure. So with the 16.9 million when that
089was awarded, don't we have to have the projects planned by June or we lose there was two years for BBS to come back with plan? >> We lose a year. We wouldn't lose a full year for two years. >> So would we lose the money? >> We wouldn't lose the money overall as long as we can still spend it within the five four year program. And then there's two different programs we're talking about here because there's the student led one which is a 5year $10,000 a year which is very much dependent. If we don't use it, we lose it. >> Whereas this one's a little different. It's a direct award. The 16.9 million is a different part of funding than the student money, the $10,000 at each site. >> Okay. So for the student money,
090we heard from from uh >> one of our teachers was leading that at Roosevelt. >> Uh what sort of process or do we have in place to make sure that we're capturing those projects in that state? >> So >> previously and I'm saying this before the end of the year and like I said that manager left and so there has been lag 100%. we we haven't let it slide. But um towards the middle and end of last year, we had a lot of engagement with the schools, a lot of ideas coming through. As you can imagine, when the when the money was awarded, everyone was very very excited. And then um we had to hedge some of that excitement with some constraints and operational constraints because everyone wanted to build things that would cause I
091don't know some other other pest control and things like that. All stuff that has second and third order consequences. But um we have narrowed down most of our SC sites approximately 90% of the projects are approved about okay this is what you want to do great is this a sustainability plan so right now we're doing fine-tuning on a lot of the student plans so that can be sustainable for over the next four years and beyond >> and then so that's $10,000 every year for five years. >> Yes. Technically it's 15. >> Okay. >> 10,000 for the project 5,000 for a manager. >> Got it. Got it. Okay. Um and then for the 10 million that's PAT wizard, have you met with PAT yet? >> Personally, no. Unfortunately, uh PAT President Bernie and I are we're
092crossing streams every single time. We've we've we've been playing phone tag for about a week and a half now. >> Okay. >> So, I have not met with them, but I know that they have been met with, but I cannot firm exactly who that was and when that was, which is why I'm really excited to get a hold of President Boner. >> I just want [clears throat] Yeah, that's great. Cuz I just want to make sure cuz we talked about a quarterly cadence. Sure. >> September and we were hitting that cadence. >> So that's great. And then how so for Arita and Clark um how were those two selected >> based on thermal comfort and based on preventative maintenance issues with money that we could have meaningful projects done in a quickly amount of time
093fast amount of time so that we get some quick wins to help those sites. Great. I'm I'm curious about the thermal piece. Is it windows? Is it insulation? >> Fortunately, PF um put the kosh, excuse me. PF uh has denied >> windows. That was one of our big um initi I'd love to tell you about a great study we did um at Mary'sville that showed the impact of windows. Um it was it was really impressive. So, uh windows unfortunately piece said no longer. Originally it was >> now it is not which has forced us to change a lot of our plans. So PF rules are a moving target >> that we're constantly trying to keep. >> So are they talking about heat pumps then and other shell improvement or >> cuz it seems like windows
094would be >> we did a bunch of weather stripping instead of the windows. We went to weather stripping like around the doors so you know when the air's like flowing through. >> So that's actually quite a bit keeps a lot of the air on the right side of the door. Were they was it pressure tested? Was it was were the buildings tested uh audited before we decided to just put >> There were those technical energy audits and so some of that were lower based off of those audits. >> We also did some uh we had some recent sites that had pretty I said recent way too many times. I apologize, but facility condition assessments that had come out of cycle and so those sites gave us a lot more information about about that. >> Um,
095somebody knows just cuz you mentioned windows and if there is ends up being money left in the 2017 bond, a lot of those old windows, they are lead paint. They do generate mud dust. So, I would suspect that could easily fall into that bucket in terms of stabilization. parts of >> but a lot of them are painted shut because they they've taken care of addressed the lead issue by paling. >> So there [laughter] is no there's no dust generated if you can't open open >> also problem. >> Okay. Go ahead. >> Thank you John. John good evening directors. I'm super excited to share with you our procurement schedule. So this is for third-party services supporting across the 2025 bond programs. Um we work collaboratively with purchasing and contracting to develop three phases of procurement. Our
096first one was geotechnical services. So that was like our boilerplate establishment and requirements working with purchasing and contracting. And then we've divided the rest up between phase two and phase three. Um the big takeaway is the board can expect contracts presented for approval in mid midappril to midmay at three different board meetings. questions >> and these are all owner services that are necessary in order to execute all the programs that are in demand for the 2025 bond program. >> Next question is what exactly is it? >> This a this is is it this is for us to do anything that has to do with the 2025 bond program outside of the modernizations. This is for so and even we're actually >> CBSC athletic field. >> Well, CBSC is 2020. Well, >> so but but we're
097going to use these consultants on them too. But yes, this is owner these are owner um contracted consultants so that we can get um land use permitting going so that we can get uh bridging documents possibly together before we go out to bid for a full a full program. It's just it's a way to have our programs in design and in permitting quicker while we're while we're planning on the the construction. So that's what that's and this also I just wanted to mention this procurement schedule was shared with the board of education for the for your uh your 13th meeting that we unfortunately did not present at but this information was included in there. So if there's any questions please send submit them to Rosanne or any of the staff and we're happy to get
098back to you guys on any questions that you might have. This is the This is sort of like the other the other projects in the 20 >> kind of. Yes. I know. I I hate to call it that because they it's all it's all but it's it's huge. So, it's but these will help us um expedite the schedule that are necessary for everything that happens within the 2025 bond program. >> Is there anything on this uh this grid that you're anticipating not hitting in January in terms of uh all of these RFPs? So, the RFPs will be opened by on the 29th by the 29th. Um, is there Yeah. Is there any are we all we tracking? >> We're tracking right now. We've got a little bit of we've got a little bit of wiggle
099room on a couple of these just because depending on how many interviews and things that we need to do regular before, you know what I mean? So, we've got some wiggle room, but right now we're tracking and we're getting them into um along with everything else that goes into purchasing and contracting. I want to say that uh we're getting these in there as well. So, yes. >> Yeah. Yeah. And our our milestone dates for the board meetings per phase. You can see that first one is April 14th and then the 28th and um May 12th. Like those are still we're still tracking those days even though we may be off a couple days on the RFP. Um it has not affected those that >> projected on the 30th. Don't worry. [laughter] >> In general, it
100sounds like we're we're we're tracking stuff. >> Yeah. Okay, so that's a precursor to talk a little bit about athletics and I'm going to turn it over to Joanna. >> Good evening. So, um, kind of lead into this and follow on from that, right? So, all of the all of that work happens and nobody sees anything happening, right? We get our money. Why isn't it built? Um, there's a lot that has to happen in between. So, I know I talked to you all a few months ago and I was really hoping for a March first. These lights would be standing in the air. Um, that may not happen. Um, so we have our permits into the city. I mean, we have our drawings submitted to the city for permit. They're in review. We're getting comments
101back. We're going back and forth. [snorts] They are looking for some additional geotechnical information that we found out last week. Um, we've expedited through purchasing and contracting the PO to get our geotech on board. Um, and hopefully provide that update for the city, but that also means we have to go back to our subcontractor and have him confirm that his footings match that geotechnical report. Um we're in contact with Portland Power and PacPNLacific Power >> Pacific. Yeah. >> Um so and they're waiting also on the on the permitting to get their agreement together with us. The good news is their transformer is one that they have in stock along the item for that. Um so we can get that in. Um and they're then our own electrician. A lot of this electrical work happens underground.
102Um, so we're getting that specialty contractor who can do that underground work for us. Just a little to get down at the moment. Um, all that being said, March 1st, we're re-evaluating when we'll actually put the lights up because as you are probably aware, track and field has the largest number of athletes of anyone that goes on a field. So, we're working with athletics department to determine if we try to do those lights now or later and later being more like summer. Um, I I know there was some concern regarding lacrosse. >> Yes. >> And so, we will work with athletics, you know, athletics department. Everybody's going to put their heads together to try and find some solution for lacrosse. Just to bring uh you two up to speed, lacrosse, there is no backup field
103right now. Marshall is under construction and Delta Park where lacrosse normally would have played is not available. So, we've got a situation now where we were working against this March 1st date and there are 18 lacrosse games and now those practices and games which would were scheduled from 6 to 8 cannot happen unless you know I assume I would guess that our portable lights are the one of the ideas. >> That was not one of the ideas. No, >> we haven't really gotten to the ideas. So, this is late breaking news as of last week, right? >> Only the short week. So, um, yeah, we're going to put our heads together and figure out what's best for our athletes, which direction. >> I have a question. Um, is there, you know, temporary lights, everything is
104going to cost money. Is there a way to uh when you're working on occupied space, uh, do after hours work or or weekend second? >> Talked about that for this particular project. Just a brand new track in a brand new field. protecting it at all costs is really important. Yeah. >> Um so we will have we're going to have to put steel plating down along it >> um to the poles. >> Oh, okay. >> Yeah. To set the light poles up and so those are going to piggy back around. >> So to try and have we can't move them off >> when [snorts] we start construction, we need to kind of just stay there. >> Needs to be there >> until we until we can get out of there. Yeah. >> Um can't like >>
105work a little bit and go away for practice. Yeah. because of those plating. Makes sense. >> So, in terms of sense of urgency, it's real. I know that the team is concerned about having to cancel their season. Um, so I guess Tom, I'm kind of asking you like are we in a situation where um that may happen >> of cancing the cross? >> Yeah, they've asked me that question. They have to reschedule. Marshall Dio and team and OD they are very confident they can have a place for lacrosse to play and practice >> and and Marshall Asins just texted me and was supposed to be online but he said Marshall campus is available. >> Okay, so that work is done. >> Spoke with Eric. Okay, that's new information. >> So, late breaking, [laughter] you know,
106I guess the bottom line is like we will find a place and so once we heard about this, we got together with athletics to figure this piece. I mean, lacrosse, even though it's a club sport, there are kids and so we'll definitely find a place to play. >> And then for the geotechnical report, just because I was so close to this project, there is one that exists. >> Correct. So, it's We do not have to redo one. We just need to hire, we need to have on contract the geotechnical engineer so he go back to his old report and write a letter. Got it. >> Affirming. So, >> okay. >> Yes. The city is allowing us to just update. I know we did an updated letter in 19. So, we're going to do an updated
107letter now. >> Okay. That's great. Okay. >> So, it sounds like we're looking at summer. I would say probably >> I'm still >> I was told early on in my career never to give a date. >> I'll never forget that meeting because my boss pulled me in and he took a roll of blueprints and he shut the door. I was like, uhoh, I gave a date. >> Yeah, it's it's hard, right? We give dates cuz we want to try and and let people know what's going on, but the >> downside to that is when we miss it, it hurts, right? >> Yeah. Yeah. And everybody's heard March. So, >> well, it's been it's been a long it's just been March and there's just there have been a lot of delays. So, I don't have a
108problem with dates um goals at all. >> Thank you. >> Yeah. And so, the next part of our app update is all all the other um 25 2025 projects. So, um there are quite a few of them. Um there's some related to modernization, there's some related to athletic hubs. Um there are right baseball and softball field projects. So um all of these require design and many of them require land use through the city. So as TJ said, we've got the RFPs out for design teams right now. As soon as those come back, then we can figure out which design teams are on each projects. Um, we're also trying to really refine our land use and streamline it, right? So, we can begin kind of that land use process at that time as well. >> Um,
109so just I want to explain that a little bit better if you don't mind. Uh so the so the procurements that we are doing are pool procurements and um so what we're doing is we're qualifying all of our all of our architects, engineers, geotechnical any any uh material testing all of those agencies um at once and then we are having a and then we are that gives us a selection pool that we then can divvy out the work. So we're running the procurements on a program basis instead of a scope of work by scope of work by scope of work basis. That means that we will have multiple projects within the 2025 bond program in design and engineering to then execute construction instead of picking something figuring it all out and then having to do
110the design and then the construction at the same time. So what was happening was procurement was being done on a project by project or scope of work by scope of work basis not on a programmatic basis. So, I just wanted to explain that to you so you understood what >> what uh what Joanna meant when she said once that we can award them pro that's what that means and we're going to be doing it on a campus by campus basis. So, you're going to be able to see from a campus what's being done at that campus and who's assigned to it and what projects from the 2025 bond program will be at what that campus will is getting from the 2025 bond program. We have a lot of work in place. None of it's flashy.
111None of it's shovels in the ground. But we've got a lot of work going on by the team behind the scenes for sure. >> I love that you've reconsidered the procurement process and just just because you're stacking things up. Yeah, I really I really like that reconsideration of uh like having a pool that you can draw from so you the projects are not experiencing gaps >> in the schedule. I think that's really really clever and I know we'll we'll see the benefits um as things as we get multiple projects going at the same time. >> Just wanted to explain. >> No, that's fine. That's perfect. And it [laughter] kind of wraps back around, right? So when [snorts] people are like bonds here, let's go build it. We part of our building process, right, is all
112that stuff nobody can see. And so you won't see the golden shovels for a while. Um, and it's a typically like on on these athletic projects, I'm not even talking about modernizations, right? It's 12 to 18 months before we can start with actual physical construction. >> That's on your own land, right? >> That's on your own land. >> That is without land acquisition. Correct. >> That's right. That's on your own piece of property. So that so the land use though if it's if it's a field that's already there >> if it's a field that's already so that's why I say many of our projects >> but the newer ones need land use >> if we are replacing an existing turf field. So like what we did at Grant that is a uh there's no permit
113needed for that because we're taking that up but we're just replacing the same material down. So if we're replacing grass, does that require a land use permit? >> I think so. >> Yeah. Okay. So I think that that's happening. >> So >> and and even with say um you know expanding of the grandstands, you're adding people. So again land use >> like it's the same thing just getting slightly bigger. If you shift the field 4 in because you want to put something near land use. So >> could you provide a list of all of the projects like all bond athletic projects? Could you maybe follow up before the end of the week we can just send us a list of like what what those projects are and what RFPs have been sent out. >> Yes.
114So no dates. >> So no RFPs for the specific I shouldn't say no. There are a couple of >> Do you want to know what what what projects are in the in the in the 2025 bond for athletics? >> I mean, I know what they are. I just want to make sure they're okay because I'm wondering, but I'm thinking about Pal Park, which is a little bit >> how Park still. So, we have Grant High School Lights, um Grant High School seating, Roosevelt High School, um turf, softball field turf, Roosevelt High School grants. These are not in order of any I am [laughter] just I just real I just realized I'm going to read this off. These are not in order of any type of name. >> I'm literally just reading uh Roosevelt Roosevelt Grandstand
115West Silvin Middle School Field Marshall Hub Field and Lights uh Jackson Hub Field and Lights Franklin Upper Fields Jefferson Field and Pal Park. So we have we're tracking all of them and I believe that this was presented back at the either FIO meeting in September andor I could be wrong on that but I think it's I think it was September. Yeah. And somewhat of a planning time there was somewhat of a planning time line use timeline and then construction timeline associated with that. So for um for grant I brought this [snorts] up too that you know there's a whole master plan that I I know we need to reconnect um to see like everything that's in there because there are still things like there's no scoreboard, there's no bathrooms, there's no ticketing, there's no fence.
116Um are all of those things included or do we need to kind of regroup on that piece? We we probably need to regroup because the way it's defined is grant lights and grant seating. I'm looking at a document here and so and there's a there's money associated with those things and how it's called out. So we probably need to look at that and see what that how that ultimately that overall scope of work gets defined >> because what we'll end up is another >> and we don't want that to happen. Right. >> Was in there? >> Seems like >> it's in the long range facilities plan. I was that was I think how long was >> I was going to say not in the not in the not in the athletics I'm not saying it's
117not but not for the athletics portion of the 2025 >> it had been it was easily discussed but it's not in the 25 >> okay that brings us to our end presentation >> great other questions. >> I don't. >> Okay. Um, so if there are also as well if you have anything that you want to add to the next agenda, um, feel free to say so now or shoot me a note. I've not scheduled the next agenda setting, but it's about Okay, so our next meeting of the facilities improvement oversight committee is February 9th. Wow, that's soon. Um, [laughter] how that happened? >> Yeah, it's like in a week. >> Um, so, uh, yeah, this meeting is adjourned. Thank you so much everybody. You