CorpusRecord 145403

2025-12-09 Board of Education’s Facilities Improvement and Oversight Committee

A searchable transcript preserved as part of the Discourse Corpus. Passage numbers provide stable references within this record; verify quotations against the original recording when available.

Source
YouTube / PPS Board of Education
Date
2025-12-10
Location
Multnomah County, OR
Material
Transcript
Extent
6,638 words · about 37 min
Collected
2026-06-21

Transcript

Verbatim source text

001Good afternoon everybody. Afternoon, evening. Um, the public meeting of the board of education's facilities improvement and oversight committee >> for December 9th, 2025 is called to order. Did you have a question? >> I mic I think it's just we've got a lively crowd tonight. [laughter] >> um, so good afternoon. Thanks for all uh thank you all for being here. And uh before we get started, I just want to share a preview of what's on our agenda today. We have public comment. Um we have the grant bowl update. Um BAC audit recommendations implementation. This is more of just a briefing on work we'll be doing more of next month. Um but just getting a sense of what needs to happen. Um going through the procedial report and the recommendations for Jefferson. Um, and sorry I I

002messed I messed up that transition from work life to board life. [laughter] [gasps] We're going to have a we're going to start this month. We're going to have a BAC audit recommendations implementation. This is related to um our BSA our audits over the last several years and we have a list of items we're going to start checking off of our lists and incorporating into our meetings uh each month so we can um um make sure that we get them all taken care of. So then we have proc report for uh Jefferson updates um BAC charter. This is what we're going to be setting the stage for for next month and then future agenda topics and next steps. So um do we want to do introductions? >> I mean >> can I can I say something

003too? So we just went through the agenda but um there's an item that was added late today >> that I have not had the time. I've had a crazy work life also. Um, and so, you know, last week you requested an extra five days, you know, or additional time to read. I'd like to also have the same um courtesy to have the time to read the materials. That would be the BAC charter. Um, yeah, I'd like to do that. I'd like to do that if and you know, it's if if we all need time to read, then I think we all need to be given the courtesy to read the materials. So, I know it's you've said it was urgent that we review it because of the timing of the BAC meeting next month, but

004that's a self-imposed, you know, that's not a hard >> I I don't think I've done I must not have been quite clear in my communication because what what's happening is next month on January 28th, the BAC is meeting to update their charter. So, I know the audit committee is working on this and uh our internal auditor has come to me suggesting that um there are some flags that she has for us as we work through the next month of things that we might want to um address or make recommendations for for that charter review that happens at the end of January. So, we have one meeting left in between now and then. So, this was just an opportunity for Janice to tell us um like I said more of a briefing of um what we

005should have our eye on. So my hope was that that would give us between now and our next meeting to actually think about it and just understand like what the ask is for next month, >> right? And again, this was added like this afternoon. I haven't literally had time even to read through my email today. So I'm asking for additional time that the the bond audit committee has a meeting in January >> at the end of January >> and they have another meeting coming up after that. So I'm asking for the courtesy, just the time to read the materials. I literally do not have time to read. Didn't have time to read today. Uh also just left from work a little bit early by the way. >> Um is >> and I'm just saying it's

006not necessarily an urgent thing. >> I'm I'm listening. I for for me as a committee chair I do feel the need. I have a you know sign significant amount of project management experience and I know that once we start talking about things now it gives us the runway to not be sitting in a meeting next month saying I don't understand what what we're supposed to do in this meeting to hand off for the next meeting. So it's really important to me that we have some advance advanced notice but I'm going to ask Liz in terms of the ability to share information and make sure it's not a serial meeting. Am I able to um take the information from our internal performance auditor, the recommendations? We we we have a shared document that a lot of

007these recommendations are in, but we're honing in on some that would be relevant to um some new um expenses that have been added to um our purview uh as FIO committee. So, I just want to make sure that I'm able to share information with um Director Chase Miller, vice chair to pass um so that we are prepared for the meeting in January and that we're making, you know, >> does that make sense? >> Yes. So, either directly or through the board office, you can send information out. You just can't have an exchange among a quorum of the board, which would be any two of you about that. But sending out that information one way, >> sure, >> you can certainly do that. >> Okay. So then I would I'm I'mable to that and um I

008would just I will touch base with our internal auditor tomorrow to share that information with you and um and we'll go from there. How's that sound? >> Well, it should come through the board office, I think. Is that correct? >> I think I can send it. I mean, whichever way I'll I'll check with you, Liz. >> Yeah. Is there Okay. Yeah. I want to I want to protocols which is different than a public meetings question about Okay. including the superintendent and Rosanne in those communications I think is the standard practice. >> Yes. So I was just asking for again for transparency um that we have time to complete the process and for then for time for me to read it. I appreciate it. >> No problem. >> I appreciate it too. >> Good teamwork guys.

009>> High five ladies. [laughter] >> Okay. So I'm gonna go ahead. We have a busy meeting today. Are you guys go ahead and just jump to public comment? Do we want to do introductions? I see a lot of familiar faces. Um, okay, >> perfect. Let's do it. Um, so next we have public comment. Please make sure when you begin your comments that you clearly state your name and spell your last name. We'll have two minutes to speak. Um, we ask that once you hear the sound of the alarm go off to please wrap up your comments. Um, and then after that um, we'll kick it over to John. So, let me pull up my list for today. Sorry guys, I'm like jumping between a bunch of uh documents here. Okay, [snorts] so first up, it

010looks like I need to zoom. It's like a hot mess up here today. Um Terrell Garrett. And then do you want to time or do you want me to time? >> I will time. Terrell canled just before we started. >> Okay, great. Okay. I mean, not great, but [laughter] next. Um, John Dwire. All right. Should I get going? Okay, cool. Um, hi, my name is John Dwire, DW. I'm here again speaking on behalf of Safe Structures PPS. Uh, I also have a fourth grader and first grader at Beverly Clearary School. We appreciate the progress that OSM shared at the November facilities committee meeting. It's encouraging to see PPS develop a riskbased framework for prioritizing size uh school repairs. Um however, we are here today to continue urging full transparency around how decisions are being made

011and how the final list of schools was determined. For example, Jackson Middle School received a risk score of 9.8 and has an enrollment of over 700 students. yet it was not prioritized for seismic work in the 2025 bond. Current and future Jackson families deserve a clear explanation for this decision. We're also surprised that two of the selected schools are lottery only rather than neighborhood schools with risk scores of 9.1 and nine. Their selection came at the expense of other higher risk neighborhood schools. uh because these programs draw students from across the district, we'd like to understand whether PPS considered the option of relocating those programs to safer campuses instead of prioritizing seismic work at the current sites. Additionally, of the nine schools chosen for retrofits, only one was a title one school. Several higher risk

012title one schools were not selected in this initial phase. We expect the district to ensure seismic retrofit projects are carried out with full transparency and an equity focused approach. We ask that OSM provide regular updates on project status and implementation. Transparency and decision-making will help the community understand how schools were selected and build confidence in future phases. We also call on the board to provide strong oversight not only for seismic projects but for all 2025 bond projects. Last week the bond accountability committee shared and I quote the 2025 2025 bond measure seismic scope said that funds were to fully fund 8 to 10 schools. There is concern that with limited funds and escalating costs, there may not be enough money to achieve that goal. This wasn't just aspirational language. It was a formal resolution adopted

013by the board and the explicit promise made to voters while seeking passage of the bond. Uh, I'll wrap up really quick. The district must honor that commitment it made to the community or it undermines the public trust that made this bond possible. We also want to acknowledge that $100 million is not nearly enough to address all the schools that need seismic work. We urge PPS to continue pursuing grants and other funding opportunities. And while major investments have been made on the high schools, too many lives are still at risk at other schools. Their safety must be treated with equal urgency as the district looks at it. >> Got to wrap up. I'm sorry. >> Yeah. I just want to say seismic improvements for these schools form the core of the next bond. >> Thank you.

014Appreciate it. Um and we will have a check-in next month. We'll be doing every other month's check-ins on seismic. So that will be coming up next month. So thanks for your comments. Um, Elijah Pro. >> Hi. Can you hear me? >> Yes. >> Hi. My name for the record is Elijah Props. P R O B as in boy S T. And I'm a parent of a now three-year-old son who lives across the street from Buckman Elementary. Um, I hope to enroll my son there in the fall of 2028. Um, so since you've heard from me before, I'd like to congratulate the board on taking big steps uh on the remaining high school modernizations as well as the Center for Black Student Excellence. Thank you also for the work done by this committee and PPS staff

015to get it to a point right where Beverly Clearary and Rose City Park are receiving full seismic upgrades and other schools are receiving improvements. These are all big milestones. Thank you again. Um so as a prospective Buckman parent and member of Strongtown's PDX, Portland Neighbors Welcome Bike Loud and Safe Structures PPS. I love my community and I know that my views are not just my own but shared by at least hundreds of folks. So here's my ask. Portland parents who are aware of the seismic safety risks in our elementary and middle schools request a request a plan from the district to make every school safe in an event of a full RIP 9.0 earthquake. Um when I look at not just Buckman uh but nearly all the schools surrounding Buckman, they all have home scores

016of 9.1, 9.0, 8.9, and 8.2. On a 10-point scale, is this safe and acceptable for our children? It's an honest question that I wonder to myself. I would imagine that some of these schools close as part of a consolidation effort, but it's hard to imagine them all closing. If it's truly a good 10 years before the district has bond money again, is there a plan to investigate additional funding sources, perhaps state level, federal level, or philanthropy? Um, that's that's a question to the board. And I want to make it clear that I do not blame the board uh for the gross amount of wealth hoarded by the millionaires and billionaires, some local to our region, who could theoretically cut a check to ensure the largest school district in Oregon is safe and modern. Thank you

017so much for your time and your Tyler's commitment to our children. I yield my remaining time. >> Thank you. Um, FE Great House. Good afternoon to everyone in this room working so hard on Dr. Armstrong's priority to bring safe buildings to PPS students and staff. I'm Dr. Fe greathouse with Safe Indoor Air for Oregon schools. If you are familiar with SAPOS, you might be expecting me to talk today in the middle of flu season about the many kids who are absent today because we still have lots to of work to do on clean air in classrooms. Uh but we are actually here today to talk about the fall heat wave and the temporary cooling measures. Bringing in major equipment to 15 schools on short notice was a big step forward. It showed initiative, creativity, and

018a commitment to action. To help the district learn from this effort, we've completed a report on our survey of teachers in the 15 schools. Teacher feedback uh indicates that the temporary cooling measures still need significant improvement. I'm going to be straight with you all uh and share that a lot of teacher feedback, not all but a lot, was extremely negative. Only 7% said that the hallway fans were effective at cooling their classrooms. Teachers described extreme noise, safety concerns, and student distraction. Uh at the same time, a much higher proportion of teachers who got portable air conditioners in their actual classroom reported that they were helpful and effective. Teachers top priorities for heat waves this coming spring are air conditioners in the hottest classrooms, upper floor windows being allowed to stay open overnight, and far more

019thoughtful placement of temporary equipment. Um, I have copies of this report to share with board members and uh staff that I'm aware of uh who work on these types of things. May I ask if you have the all the methodology behind sample size, kind of geographic spread, some of that um backend >> uh information. >> You'll see what's in the report and then if you have further questions, >> shoot me an email. >> Okay. Thank you. Oh, I was like, wait, where did she go? Are you Are you done? >> Okay. All right. [laughter] No, it's okay. I know. Thank you very much, Ephie. We really appreciate all your advocacy around this issue. Um, and Sasha Pock. >> Good afternoon. My name is Sasha Pollock. P O L A CK. I'm a Robert Gray parent.

020I've worked in the area of climate and clean energy policy for 15 years. I was really impressed when I first read the PPS climate policy. It is thorough and thoughtful and not only addresses facilities issues, but also the challenging topic of engaging young people on climate change. I appreciate the fact that this leadership team continues to show commitment to it, particularly in the design of new schools. We are already feeling the initial impacts of the changing climate. Locally, this is manifesting as more extreme weather, colder cold snaps, resulting in more snow days that can lengthen the school year, and especially more hot days, requiring regular cooling during the school year for the first time. It is clear we need to explore new solutions to high temperatures in our buildings. Both to increase effectiveness, reduce approximate

021health impacts of diesel to which children are more susceptible. Teachers in the SEO survey whose classrooms were near the diesel generators could smell diesel exhaust in their classrooms and also to align with PPS's climate goals. Of course, the primary focus of emergency heat response is regulating temperatures to ensure the safety of students and staff, but it is important to also remain true to PPS's commitment to increase energy efficiency, maximize the use of renewable energy resources, and minimize the use of fossil fuels. This is part of goal 1.1 of the climate policy. We are asking this new creative operations team to explore less fossil fuel intensive options to address extreme heat, including plug-in portable heat pumps as opposed to air conditioners, which are capable of effectively cooling large spaces are less than $300 each and would

022address many concerns expressed in the SEO survey. If supplemental power is needed, explore using electric batteries instead of diesel generators. Burning diesel causes significant localized health impacts and also emits greenhouse gases including black carbon which has a much higher impact on the climate than CO2. Unfortunately, going forward, extreme temperatures are going to be more and more commonplace and rather than being treated as a one-off crisis where all other policies can be ignored, they should be planned for and thought about well in advance to ensure that responses are aligned with the district's policies and practices, including minimization of the use of fossil fuels. Thank you. >> Thank you. >> Very well timed. Thank you. [laughter] Um, Shannon Kitrich little slow today. I had a battle with kidney stones yesterday. [snorts] Um, hi everyone. My name is

023Shannon Kitrich. Um, ki tt r i c k. I've been a teacher for 25 years and I am here to represent my students at Roosevelt High School. Did you know and thank you for talking about it, but Portland Public Schools has the strongest climate change response plan in the nation. I have done the research and I think the world um we are going to be climate neutral or carbon neutral by 2040 which is a big feat. Um, and as part of the Portland Clean Energy Fund grant, um, we have basically received $36 million and 2 million of that goes to student projects. Um, and every middle and high school, um, receive $10,000 per year for five years. Um, and I believe there's a strong potential for continued support. Um if our partnership with Portland Clean

024Energy Fund remains solid and the district can demonstrate measurable progress toward its climate impact goals. Um at present students are struggling to get infrastructure projects approved through facilities and that would meaningfully reduce the carbon um footprint. Students wanted to build a climate justice greenhouse this year but we told it wasn't feasible this year due to the workload of facilities. A student commented, "Miss Kitrich, at this rate, we're going to spend $2 million on posters and murals." Um, "My students plan to ask PAF to continue to support beyond the $36 million grant, but the district must show it genuine commitment to reducing climate projects and investing in green infrastructure. We ask facilities to prot prioritize studentled projects and ensure everyone supporting this work are properly resourced and compensated. of the PF funds. Um 10,000 was intended

025for student led projects and 5,000 was um to compensate um staff facilitating this work. Um yet teachers have only received a small portion of that amount um roughly $2,400. A considerable share appears to be redirected toward administrative costs, though it mean remains unclear what those costs include. Meanwhile, staff such as school secretaries, ordering um and um facilities employees are not being confiscated. Um students have faced significant obstacles trying to move the projects through. Um and moving forward, my hope is to remove the barriers preventing students from contributing meaningful um projects to um reduce our carbon footprint. Thank you for listening. >> Appreciate it, Shannon. >> Thank you. Okay, that wraps up our public comment and let's see here. Um, I'm going to turn this over to Dr. John Franco, senior chief of operations to start

026off today's presentation. >> Great. Thank you, uh, Director Lefort and school board members. So, as Director Lefort mentioned, we have, uh, three agenda items today. Uh we're first going to start out with uh an update in regards to the grant bowl. Uh then talk through some uh specific bond audit recommendations uh that were earmarked uh to provide some updates on. And then uh we'll talk through um the Prescidio report on Jefferson. And up to the dis we have uh Tom Audgers who's going to provide us uh an update on the Grand Bowl. >> You're smiling. Good [laughter] afternoon, directors. Good afternoon, Dr. Armstrong. Good afternoon, Dr. Franco. Good afternoon, Liz Large. Um, thank you very much for giving the opportunity. Here's a quick uh update on the grant bowl project. Uh, the permit package has

027been submitted to the city of Portland. The submitt has passed the initial screening and is officially in the city's intake process. No issues have been flagged, excuse me, have been flagged to date. Uh utility coordination, coordination with Pacific Power is underway. There are no known utility obstacles that would delay processing that we know at this time. We are confirming final service requirements and will update the committee as soon as Pacific Power completes its review. Lighting systems must go. Our lighting vendor informed us today that equipment lead time is on schedule. Based on preliminary signals, we expect the fabrication and delivery timeline to remain consistent with our target schedule. Musco scope does not cover all required electrical work. We are obtaining pricing from our internal electrical team uh for the remaining components. This added scope is

028expected to be straightforward and low risk in terms of cost and schedule. Uh with permits and intake and vendor timelines being confirmed, the project remains on track. Uh also some additional fun facts with uh our parks coordination. PPS showed some conceptual conceptual plans to Portland parks and recreation for Powell Park which is a shared use park space. Uh parks is reviewing those concept concepts and both agencies uh we will meet in early January to discuss next steps refinance refinements and potential improvements or coordination needs. This is part of a broader PPS effort to ensure district athletic programming is aligned with parks long-term park and recreational plans. Historically, PPS and Parks have had a mixed and sometimes informal structure for sharing or accessing fields and facilities used by schools and community sports groups. Parks is also

029moving towards a standardized feebased pay-to-play model for all field users, including Portland Public Schools, beginning next year. This won't have any impact on our services. [laughter] Our current risks are low. We are monitoring them. Uh final Pacific Power confirmation. Uh Musco lead time adjustments and coordination with electrical contractor with Musco's installation window. None of these currently threaten the overall project timeline and we will provide the committee with Musco leadtime update and any power Pacific power confirmation as soon as they are received. Are there any questions? Can you just restate what you said about Pal Park? I was really excited to hear something about that. So, one more one more time for those in the back. [laughter] >> Certainly, we Portland public schools showed a conceptual plan uh to uh to parks for Powell Park. Uh

030Parks is reviewing those concepts. Um it seems in the positive and both agents is going to come together in January to get aligned. >> So, there's an agreement for a meeting in January. That's great. That is great. Thank you. >> You're welcome. And so we're still hitting so March 1st is still our target for before track season starts. Yes, ma'am. >> Okay, great. Thanks. >> You're welcome. >> Same. >> Okay. Thank you, Tom. I'm going to go ahead and call up uh Sarah Norman and Darren Lee. Sarah's our senior director over OSM. and Darren Lee is uh one of our directors of construction who's going to walk us through uh some uh progress updates uh in reference to some bond audit recommendations. >> Can I can I jump in just real quick before I just

031want to share? So, we have a a list of bond audit recommendations from um several different bond audits that have um cropped up over the last few years. So our internal performance auditor has been preparing or has prepared a document that I'm sure we've all seen it that rolls up all of these. So um the idea is to sort of start chipping away at all of these things like whether it's you know two a month, three a month depending on what our agendas are like but just to start kind of taking a swipe at them and this is our first first day of that. So >> for Virginia I wanted to let you know that OSM has been doing that since the initial audit process. We have we also have a spreadsheet that we've been

032tracking progress on and have comments and who and like who on our audit committee is is the lead on that. And so that is work that that is work that this staff has been has ongoing been doing. So just wanted to let I just wanted to let you know that it's not new work. Yeah. >> I think what we have is just the stuff that's still outstanding. So this is Thank you. >> Yeah. >> Okay. um wanted to this is these I think there were four total total uh recommendations that um were brought to our attention u for FIO and this is uh clarify and memorialize contract I guess am I do I need to read the slide I'm just trying to okay so we we actually this is complete we actually have taken a

033lot of the recommend all of the um modifications that we've made to contract uh CMGC contracts moving forward um have been um incorporated and due to the feedback that we've received from the the audit. And so um we just wanted to kind of let you know that that's where we are. >> Yeah. And just addition on some of that um a lot of times uh in the midterm audit, we'll get recommendations and anything a priority that we feel is a priority we we aggressively go after. And this was one of them. We tried to get in front of the other Cleveland and Wells, but timing and uh didn't allow it. So, we were able to because of the switch from Anderson to Hoffman, we were able to get in front of that contract and make

034these uh 40 amendments to the contract from the >> That was one of my questions. If if we could see could provide a list of the 40 minutes. Maybe that's something you can just share with. They actually are part of you actually have them because they were they were part of the consent contract that we negotiated with Hoffman in their exhibit R in their contract and all of those all of those re um >> all of those changes to the contract that were agreed upon and negotiated at that time are are there. >> I love it. Okay. >> Okay. Moving to an update on the second. >> Um yeah, this is this is ongoing. Um I just wanted to let you know that we as you mentioned that we have quite a few audit um

035accountabilities for the overall bond program. Um executive leadership as of um current executive leadership is very active in the performance audit. In fact, I wanted to list here the on the seven-year performance audit that just kicked off. Um, John Franco, myself, Tom Rogers, Peter Peter Jay, I'm just gonna say Peter Jay. >> Yeah, perfect. >> Um, and other key members participated participated in the audit kickoff meeting. Um, and since have completed individual interviews. So, believe me, um, not only that, uh, the the performance auditor also interviews people uh, uh, board uh, board members as well and um, BAC. So, um, definitely executive leadership is involved in the overall audit process. Will there be a point person that we can connect with that you know >> I am the I am the point staff person for

036the performance audit. >> So I'll reach out to you in terms of like how to like you know best you know communicate this information. So >> our auditor has the same information like just what that workflow looks like because it's kind of it's kind of new. Okay. >> So um great. Okay. >> Yeah. >> Okay. So um this is uh the bond accountability committee uh quarterly reports. Uh we actually do have those on our website. I included the website in this slide. Listen, I know that our website went through a transformation recently [laughter] and and there have been some links and different things that have not have not been uh and until someone tells us we don't know, it's not there. And so just openly um but we are diligently working to make sure that

037all of those quarterly reports and everything are reported on a regular basis on the website. So, if there is something that you're not seeing or that we can update for you, please let us know and we'll we'll make sure to jump on it. >> Thank you. I just we I know we noticed that there were just a few, you know, that needed required access and I know this is like there's this website's a huge transition. I think we're all we're all feeling it. >> I kind of I feel like I knew where stuff was and now I'm not sure where stuff is. [laughter] >> Okay. It's a secret. So, so no. So, seriously, but if there's something you're looking for, please don't hesitate to reach out through uh Rosa. I mean, we'll we'll get it

038to you. >> Okay. Great. >> This one I'm gonna let you take. >> Yeah. So, this one it's kind of tied to the other one where we uh the other recommendation where we uh renegotiated the contract for >> [snorts] >> uh Hoffman. Um, a lot of these are internal from our internal auditors that our external auditor um interviewed and it's just things that have come up over the last the especially Benson where um some of our contract language was was vague and had some loopholes that the contractor could exploit and uh in a way that just made it really and um thus the 40 um adjustments and amendments to the other contracts. So, we just received a proposal from our internal auditor. Very happy to get in front of this because usually we do it

039at a kickoff and then a midterm audit and then by the end we're dealing with same thing we dealt with before, right? And so, we're getting in front of it this time. We have a a proposal uh under review right now and uh he'll be under contract and he's he's audited internally every project high school we've ever done. So he has that in institutional knowledge and ready to go. I could go into very uh specific details, but basically looking at direct labor and burden costs, there's 20 bullet points of that. Some contractor costs, materials, materials and equipment, other direct costs, uh GC's and GRs, how they they staff, uh across the board. So um he will definitely be involved um before we start negotiations which is usually about uh 25% construction docks or so. Um,

040so we'll we'll be uh in place with that contract, >> but I don't I don't want it to be lost that we are going to the one of the reasons that we are in CMGC contracts is because we are bringing the construction team on board ahead of time so that they are in the design meetings with us providing constructibility reviews and understanding the design intent behind a system that might not be completely designed. And so I want one of the reasons you go to a GMP is because it is a guaranteed maximum price. So the onus of all of this is on the contractor and we are going to hold those contractors accountable to PPS for that reason. And so yes, I understand this comment, but I also think it's a it's a change in

041how we manage our consultants and our contractors and really holding them accountable to the contract language that we currently have in place and the definition of what a GMP is. >> That's great. All good news. And so then the differences between Jeff and Wells and Cleveland are what we talked about on the first one that there were some that's the exhibit R. Okay, great. Thank you. >> Yep. >> Okay, so >> so that concludes the updates on the four um bond audit recommendations and and like Director Lefort said um specifically we'll be reviewing um try to review uh updates um at each FIO meeting. And so I think that that's actually a very good practice and and I think to uh Sarah's point like this has been an ongoing piece uh in terms of the

042staff consistently reviewing these pieces and so happy to provide that those updates moving forward. Um our next agenda topic is in regards to um uh our procidial report which you all have. Um and there here we have um um Brian Johnson who is the president of uh Precid. Very happy to have him there. We know Sarah. And then of course we have and then we have TJ um Watkins here who is also our who's going to be working very specifically with the team. uh she's going to be our um program director and so very happy to to have all three of them here and then we're just gonna they're just going to walk us through uh what's in the report. >> Yeah, this is uh I'm going to kick us off but I'm going to

043allow my teammates to actually chime in quite a bit. Uh uh this is the first time that we've had the opportunity to actually discuss this report. So we appreciate we appreciate the opportunity to to discuss it. We want to let you know that this was a this is our contract deliverable that we were requested to do at um on page four of our report. We actually reiterate the three main points of what this what this deliverable was to be. And so um and that is exactly what this report did. Um so we were tasked with providing a conceptual outline of opportunities that we could see to expedite the Jefferson project, the Jefferson modernization. And so you cannot comprehensively look at that program without looking at some of the work that some of the ideas that

044have already been that have already been presented. We noted within our report that we understood that these had been that these had been vetted. However, there's new leadership. There's new board members. There's new So we wanted to make sure again this is a comprehensive to the superintendent and to the district. So we have to we have to show you that those those opportunities are still there should they should they want to investigate them further. So I'm going to go directly into kind of the or the options. It's been a minute since I've looked at this report. So give me a second. All right. Our option number our option number one we called shell. And um what this what this did was it expedited the timeline of being able to move the students into the new

045building um by getting the first and second floors ready for the students while the interiors were still going on on the third and and fourth floor. Do you want to add anything? >> Yeah. And and just to clarify when we mean shell um the third and fourth floors um everything will be built simultaneously. So the structure everything hard everything would be built simultaneously. So the only work that would be remaining on the third and fourth floor would be like tenant finish out like finishes >> interiors >> interior interior things that wouldn't be uh a detriment to the student learning environment while they're on the first and second floor. >> Exactly. And so, so you have to have your HVAC systems up, you have to have your elevators up, you have to have your life safety

046systems up. And so that's what we mean by that. And so, believe me, we understand that you have to have all of those things in order to have occupancy. But what this did is it opp it was the opportunity to open up some of those big box spaces for the students a year earlier so that those students that are the students at Jefferson High School could experience that prior to their graduation. And so that's kind of why we didn't want to leave this off the report because it is an opportunity. Yes. Are there logistical things and coordination that need to take place and additional an additional um investigation into this option? Absolutely. But we we we really appreciated this option and again being able to get the students. It's all about the kids getting them

047in school and letting them have the opportunity to um appreciate the modernization that we're doing for them. And that's what this option is about. The second option which I did did not know if this if this was previously discussed. It was not in my to my knowledge that it was previously discussed. Um it this was actually building a port a portable educational village on site uh for the students. So this would be that the Jefferson students would then re re swing into the portable village that was actually in on site at Jefferson. So it wasn't taking them away from their community and their school. Um and so what this would do is obviously the first step would be um temporary uh temporary educational village. Um and then being able to de demolish the existing Jefferson

048High School building at the same time or uh at the same at the same time we would be able to go up with the new building and have bring down the old building. And of course, this is all in line with land use and permitting that we would have to all of these are by the way. We took all of that into consideration. We took the schedules that we had from the teams from the design teams and we actually put those into our schedule analysis within the report so that we had all of those accounted for with our schedule dates. >> Yeah. Um this this option is going to take a lot of coordination. Obviously having uh kids in a portable village, you got to think about where where they're going to eat, uh restrooms

049and things like that. and also the safety concern of kids being in portables. Um, so I mean it's it's an option, but it's going to take a lot of coordination in order to uh make this happen and make sure that the kids are safe and they have a great learning environment while they're in a portable village. >> So then three is not one that we need to talk about too much because you guys are aware of it. It's uh it's swinging the swinging the students off site. it's actually re, you know, providing a additional swing space for the students to go someplace else and and what that would do to the timeline and being able to speed this timeline because it would allow the existing Jefferson building to be demolished and then of course go

050up with the new building and have the fields done concurrently. So that I know that this has been investigated, you know, obviously, but you cannot do a comprehensive report without showing that there are schedule and um economic benefits to swinging students. I just want to add to that that there's there was significant community push back about swinging students because of the size of our city because of the distance from the community and because the community is already vulnerable and so you know moving them 11 miles away a student body of 400 we just thought we're just going to lose students. So >> the parents really advocated to keep them on site like we did at Lincoln and like we plan to do at IDB Wells. >> Yep. And I just I do want to say

051that Prescidio I mean in the report it says Prescidio is aware that Portland Public Schools voting community has previously rejected the swing proposed in option three. So I just I just want to make sure that everybody understands we I promise we've been plugged in with you guys with the community. We understood it. But when you're asked to do a comprehensive report, you can't not talk about that option. >> Absolutely. And I it's really for th those in the back. >> Yes. Exactly. Yes. So then we go so then we go through pros and cons of all all three options. Um and obviously I'm not going to read the report to you that's there. It's it's it's a public document. It's on the website I think at this point. Um and then we and after the

052pros and cons, we go through um design, permitting, construction schedule comparisons. And this is where I kind of talk through how we took what we had been what we had been provided by um the the team and laid that out through the three the three options. So we laid out we had the current plan and then we then we laid out options one, two, and three that I just went through for the overall um and kind of walk through that process. >> Yeah, I'd like to point out that you know each one of these options Presidio has experience. We've done all three of these options in in various other districts. Um, but we wanted to present all of them to you and it ultimately is uh up to the community and the board to decide

053on how to proceed on on Jefferson High School. But we wanted to make sure that we put all options on the table so the students could have a place to go uh soon as possible. >> So for the Shell option, have you you've done this like another high school like womb tomb with the shell option? >> Yes, ma'am. >> Where was that? Um, Dallas ISD, we've done that. For ISD as well, we've done those sale options >> and I've and I've done it in Washington DC as well. >> Okay. >> How does what is the so what's the process like from this point forward? Like how do we like what's what's happening right now to determine which one of these are move for? I know we're we've talked about the shell option or is that

054coming to the board? Has colis Hoffman weighed in? I'm just kind of curious. So John, I think this is >> Yeah. So I can uh touch base upon that and I I want to be clear that um obviously the swing is is definitely not something that we would even uh broach to director Deass's point. I think I think to Brian Johnson's point as well in terms of the portable city from a logistic logistics perspective that's not feasible. So from a staff perspective, worth exploring for sure and we wanted to use this as an opportunity to kind of gauge where you're all thinking is the shell option. that is definitely in our mind uh worth I think to Sarah's point um diving in a little deeper and actually figuring out some pieces logistically um because anytime

055again the whole purpose is accelerating the timeline for Jeff and um keeping that as the foundation and seeing that we and especially with with them having some experience doing this I think it's definitely worth and that would be our recommendation would be the shell for further exploration um to kind of figure that piece out. >> When will we know which one you want to >> I think the move forward with >> I think on the staff memo that went with the what that went with the report to the board I think staff actually said exactly what John just said um is that out of all three options the one that the new option that had been presented was the shell option and you know we may want to further investigate that option. It's so we

056the swing option is off the table. >> So there's two options. >> One isn't feasible. That's the portable village. >> It could be done with money, enough money and time. And the shell option, in my opinion, I've worked in occupied spaces before and it can be done with some creativity. Um it seems like really the only option. It is >> especially since you have experience doing this which I trust 100%. Um like Yeah. So there's really only the two the shell or the portable v portables village >> which again we have to think about electrifying and plumbing portables. >> Yeah. Yeah. >> And really I mean >> sewer connections >> all the things all the things and >> electrical connections >> because again this was turn this was October and now we're in December and

057of course we don't stop. I want the Jefferson community and the students to know we haven't stopped the community the team the team is working to push Jefferson forward and so we have we have continued on design documents we've continued with permitting we're actually have early release fields going so the educational portable village that window is a is closing if not closed at this point because we are we're going to be ready to start those fields June >> May 30th >> I was going to say groundbreaking is May 30th so Jefferson team's here. So I just want to make sure uh so so May 30th. So I think kind of that window is is closing as well. So >> So can I just note two things? Um thank you. So I had an opportunity to

058have an informal conversation with the lead for Kas Hoffman and I said, "Hey, have you you read do you know about this? Uh what are your fillins? What are your thoughts?" Again, it was an informal conversation and he said, "If we have permits and we have the drawing done before January 2027, we can act absolutely speed up to make sure that we get Jefferson open as early as possible." So, that's encouraging. I know that he still would need to have conversations with his team and our team, but he didn't bulk at it. He was like, "If I have the two things in place, permits and drawings, then we can absolutely push." And the other thing I just want to note is that while the window has closed for uh what we call portable village, we

059know that we don't have um necessarily swing sites up and running when we're ready to do some of those buildings that will need to be replaced for seismic upgrades. And so at some point we are going to have to have a conversation about how we stand up a uh portable uh village if you will to be able to house students while we make critical repairs that can't happen while they're in the building. So I just want to just put that out there just for later ideiation and conversation. >> Absolutely. And I've had also informal conversations with Bora Architects and uh Kus who is here and Kus Hoffman um because both of them were kind of oh my good goodness what are we doing like Sarah what are we doing because I mean you know what's

060going to affect and so uh they we are eager to sit down with the team the entire team um and and kind of talk through whatever option we may leadership may want us to investigate um we just just kind of waiting for that. So, >> so as long as we have the permits by January 2027, it should be fine. >> That's what it sound informally. That's what it sounds like. [laughter] >> I don't have that I don't have that in writing, Virginia. Okay. [sighs and gasps] >> Um >> is is early assistance available on those permits or no? >> We're actually working with the um major projects group and those meetings have been going really really well. Um, so they are they they're prepared for us and um we've been working really hard with land

061use to get our land use application actually it's in and um reviewed and pushing that forward as well. And so we're well on our way from a permitting perspective and uh I have bi-weekly calls with the lead of the major projects group at the city to try and coordinate when certain things are going to be coming in because we have three major projects actually four major projects that are about to start. And so, uh, just building that relationship with the city and letting them know that these things are coming, um, really really helps out. >> So, the the whole shell would go up. The students would be on the first and second floors. We'd have bathrooms, we'd have cafeteria, we'd have all of those things, and then the additional work would continue to happen on

062the third and fourth floors. Okay. I know that I heard some rumblings that they did something similar at Roosevelt, which was our first school that was modernized. I'm not sure how that happened, but there might be some. It's calling out there might be some institutional knowledge >> and and Benson to a to a degree. I don't know if we have folks maybe not prepared to speak to that, but I know that when Benson opened, we still had um the entire uh Anderson construction on the top floor occupied and still building out too. So, >> yes. >> Will the fields be done at this? So, the fields will be done as well. >> The fields will be actually Let me go back to that. Sorry. It's like you read it, but then when you can talk

063about it, you can kind of start to envision it. >> That option or the fields. >> I don't think the I don't think the football field will be done because we have to the the the demolition the demolition and the I sorry I have to go back and look. I just don't know this off the top of my head, but we have to demo the school and then that creates the the football field. So, it would not be done at the same time. That would still be ongoing as well. That's all I got. It's great. >> It sounds like we know which direction we're headed. >> Okay. >> Just thank you. I appreciate that. >> Thank you. >> Okay. So, um appreciate appreciate this. Obviously, we have um it's good to get some feedback and

064direction. So we will move forward with further exploration regards to the shell option. That's exciting. >> It is exciting. >> Yeah, >> that was even also exciting. It's I can't believe it's 5:25 and I think we're done. >> I love it. [laughter] >> I know. >> That's a great uh you just look shocked like what? [laughter] >> We're getting there. Everybody look, >> you know, just just keep this in mind for TLE on Thursday. >> Right. That's right. I'm watching [laughter] you. All right. So, um, oh, you know what? Hold on. There is one more thing. Committee members, um, I sent out an email last night and I'll continue to send it out. Are there any topics you want to add to future agendas today or do you want to email me? >> I'd like

065to email you. Yes. >> Okay, great. >> Okay, perfect. >> So, um, our next meeting of the facilities improvement and oversight committee is January 20th. I'm going to actually use the gavl say this meeting is adjourned just because I can. That's fine.

This transcript may contain errors introduced by automated or source-provided captioning. Bracketed descriptions such as [Music] are retained from the source. Passage divisions are editorial aids and do not alter the wording.