001week we can talk about it tonight but as you know uh governor murphy this week also made mention of the fact that students who go all remote still have the opportunity or should have the opportunity it's a board's decision to play sports so if my child decided to go all remote and he or she was participating in football or volleyball they would still have the opportunity to do that but we would need a board resolution to do that so i am going to make a resolution uh for that next week i don't know if anybody wants to comment on that tonight uh if not i will have a resolution that will state specifically students who choose to go all remote can participate in sports or co-curricular activities after school same guidelines uh that students will
002go through so if students are being their temperatures are taken before they come to school during the day those students who are not here would go through the same quote yes just to make sure once school starts will athletes of any kind you know whether they're in school part of time whatever will they be tested before they start to practice that day or is that only at the beginning of the day once school starts well right right we're taking everyone's temperature as they enter the building as far as the sports is concerned the uh athletic association is supposed to come out with additional guidelines next week regarding what happens uh i think it's effective september 14th when there will be live practices okay so um at that time i should have more information okay but
003that's something i will i will check okay they're at a standstill that'll pick up again i think it's september 14th i think i have the date right it could be off a day or two but that's when they would start again and i think games will start somewhere around september 28th i think tennis starts on the 28th and then i think volleyball football october 1st i right around those dates and nothing has changed um since the last um set of guidelines that were sent by the athletic association but they are supposedly going to send something next week and mr porphido our athletic director uh always reviews that and summarizes it for me and i will then share that with the board as soon as i have more information yes we're still planning on having that
004that's a good question uh i did speak to mr barger and mr printo about having student orientation september eighth which is the day after labor day uh when we get back uh the seventh grade will probably break it up into um like a group a and a group b and the same thing with the ninth grade we haven't worked out a schedule yet but the in-person uh students will have an opportunity to go into the building and have an orientation that way the students who were all remote i guess we could do what we could do is plan a virtual orientation i think that that that's a good point i think what i would what i will do is i'll speak to mr wagner mr pinto and get information out to all freshmen all seventh
005graders that everyone whether you're remote or not i'll welcome to the orientation they can fill out an application there's a two-week waiting period from the time they throw out the application well again we're gonna we'll get we're gonna have to wait and see what what happens at that point you know once we begin school and we go all remote and the oil remote for the most part is going to be live then we may be able to adjust those guidelines the thing that we don't want to do is have kids coming in and out all the time because that disrupts class sizes it disrupts just it's just difficult it's a challenge for a teacher well the guidelines the guidelines say you can change once during the year and the guidelines did say that once the
006deadline was passed which was august 14th if you come to school and all of a sudden october 1st a parent decides i want my child to be all remote or i want them to come back either way they'd have to fill out an application and there'd be a two-week waiting period the only reason i stated initially a two-week waiting period is i just didn't know how the process is going to work once we get back if we see that they can wait three days and we can do it seamlessly then we'll do it but i don't think we'll find that out until we get back and put everything in place that's not clear what what the governor said is now just today he reiterated what he said he said districts that want to go all
007remote have to apply and his his words today and i'll quote him as best i can is you have to have a valid reason why you want to go all remote whatever that reason might be the ventilation system is poor staffing is a problem uh you have to have a reason and he has to approve it and you have to have a hard date as to when you're returning not open-ended now i know some districts spoke about well coming back the second market period other districts said and there's only a few so far that have gone and by the way no one's approved yet because the application to apply hasn't come out so districts are just saying the intent to go okay but in any case uh i don't know what he's going to say
008is a date some people are saying first marking period i don't know you know it's until people actually right right right edgewater and a couple of count of bergen county districts for whatever reason may feel that they're not ready for whatever reason have decided to go all remote as i had said um when i was on our my google meet with the staff i think at this point based on the plan that we submitted to the county that we're ready and the fact that 65 percent of our parents are interested in the high bed program tells me there is community interest or parental interest to have their kids in school even if it's half a day or two out of three days a week and so on and that's that's and we've got to be
009prepared when they do start here that are going to start school there's going to be some hiccups some adjustments etc i've done i've read some articles of reference to some states that have started already in the south midwest and there's going to be some hiccups so we're going to be hearing some rumors etcetera you know mike and lua just wish for the best at this point you know what health-wise we're we're working very closely with laurie lucanic from the local health department she will advise us in case a situation arises where we need a determination whether we have to quarantine or whatever hopefully that won't happen but the reality is maybe it will but she will guide us on that and uh we'll take the direction from her as far as you know will notify
010parents from my office notify staff if something were to happen give guidance but we we need laurie as the health official to give us more direction so we will rely on her expertise so again just to review so staff members will be back uh guidance counselors are back this thursday august 20th as per the new contract uh then um nurses come back august 28th as for the new contract and then staff members return september 1st and as i mentioned before we will have we have planned a number of professional development activities for staff that have to do with social and emotional uh issues regarding students who are coming back or oral remote uh health protocols the nurses will be doing some professional development so on and so forth there'll be other uh pd also for
011our staff that we're planning right now education classes are parents have the same opportunity same thing group a group b depending upon elementary high school services will be provided if it's otpt speech all those services remain mandated to to provide to the child's iep so we will be fulfilling those obligations anyone else uh before i look at the consent agenda any committee reports uh just on our end the building and grounds um i wasn't available for uh the boiler uh project meeting last week update because i had met with him later in the day and that project is moving along well they did recommend that we put the water softener in their for the boilers which we agreed on a lot of colgate 19 alterations are going on in the schools they're pretty much complete
012a lot of the summer projects that lou shared with us in his package tonight and he's been sharing throughout the summer uh everything's going along well uh and that would be it for uh building grounds on the personnel end of it as you know mike informed us so we're gonna have a middle school uh teacher uh resignation and uh we posted that job two staff members that are currently with us we're awaiting some state certification one got the paperwork and uh we'll tweet that at the august meeting we're just waiting for the italian teacher for the paperwork to come through the state everybody knows and loves simon bracco he's coming back to assist us as a high school special ed uh resource those appointments mr the panel will be made next much it on week
013i'll pass that along that's good to hear thank you any other committee reports okay so at this point i just want to point out a couple of items in the consent agenda we have a resolutions recommended by the superintendent of schools to accept the resignation of erin carson aaron is a was a pre-k handicap teacher with us see she resigned to take another position and you'll see later on in the agenda uh we filled that position already resolution to accept the resignation of steve coco middle school english teacher effective june 30th and we've posted that position we've advertised it and we will go through the interview process to fill that position um on page three second resolution kerry goal um as i recommend it to the personnel committee uh will be our pre-k handicap teacher
014who will take the place of aaron carson um effective september 1st uh m.a step one uh liz layton who's a full-time title one teacher with us at school number three has asked for and will get approval for an unpaid leave of absence beginning september 1st through december 31st and that's due to child care issues underneath that we have a resolution and i spoke to the personnel committee regarding this is a recommendation that came from our principals to uh give an additional stipend to four teacher aides who are going to assist the nurses this year we're going to call them nurses aides and in in addition to their regular teacher aid duties they will help the nurses out depending upon situations during the day there are in fact we're right now making plans mrs martinardi is
015making plans to have them uh trained for a full day in first aid and other things that might be important to their position but we're referring to them as teacher aid slash nurses aid they will get a 2 000 stipend for the 2020-21 school year as long as school is in session uh so that that'll be a help to our school nurses for this this particular year on page four um you know last time we had the first reading of policies which which we will approve next week we have one additional policy that's called the restart and recovery plan and basically what it is is it's our reopening plan in policy format and i did send the board through email a copy of that policy 1648 and it's basically our reopening plan but it's just
016in a formal policy and we'll be approving that next week prior to uh the opening of schools there's also a resolution for the revision of the calendar which i spoke about the september 9th day mr alfano i don't know if you have anything in finance well we'll be approving two resolutions regarding the digital divide award grant for roman one is the submission and one's accepting the awarding and mr capano alluded to that i sent out some electronic copies earlier in the week summer 20 projects the cobot expense table the covert fema spreadsheet and the bill list again i welcome any commentary or questions whether it's here or offline a text phone call email or whatever the case may be in regard to that but you know right now is we we have a tracking mechanism
017for all our covet expenses and then we have a fema spreadsheet that essentially we run through fema we've had two fema calls we submitted our application for review and we've had two fema calls this week and they're working on eligibility of our line items i can give you a quick overview is things like the observation room that we built looks like it's not going to be eligible the scanners when you enter the building looks like that's not going to be eligible but any supplies looks like sanitizer dispensers stuff like that will be eligible again they're going to re-review it they asked me to embellish more on some of the line items so i wrote another little term paper for them and submitted it last night so they're going to review again i should hear back
018from them on friday in regard to ellis both i'll keep everyone posted that's pretty much it on miami mr roman any questions from the board on the consent agenda uh motion to approve i'll make a motion was that uh teddy yes sir may i have a second if i may please i'll second that is mr shelley okay i'd like to pick a vote now if i may this is a brew mr capano yes mrs freda mr garcia dr pangoliano yes mr raincourt yeah mr shelley yes teddy yes okay so move want a motion to adjust okay at this time i'd like to call for a motion to adjourn and go into closed session so mr capana may i have a second please that was mr raincourt okay very good okay just as a reminder before
019before we start to stop the streaming board meeting next week august 26 7 pm again thank you very much thank you everyone thank you thanks for all your support i appreciate it