001Good evening everyone. Today is Thursday, December 4th, 2025 and this is a meeting of the Milford School Committee. We will start with invitation to speak. There's no one here, so we can pass on that one. We'll go to announcements, correspondence, and distribution. Does anybody have anything? >> Uh, we had two birthdays this week. Happy birthday to Craig and happy birthday to Chris Wilson. >> Thank you for that acknowledgement. We really appreciate that. [laughter] Anything else? >> I have a quick one. Um I just went to Woodland's math literacy or art night tonight and it was a great showing um by a lot of the families. Um the parking lot was packed which um surprised me that I couldn't find a spot. Um, and we went I went into the literacy and art rooms and I
002was really [clears throat] excited to see there were high school students there from the art national honors society and applicants from the Spanish uh national honor society um leading the workshops in terms of drawing snowmen um and some family engagement activities and then reading some stories um as well in English, Spanish and Portuguese. So it was great to see the it wasn't the staff members standing in front of the families, it was high school students um doing the work. So, a huge shout out to um Michelle Sarah, Shannon Roach, and Megan Gavaleri for organizing that family engagement intense night. And then I will do another quick shout out for Shining Star did a preschool escape the room uh escape the school event on Monday and it was they did a fabulous job. Um it was
003all different classrooms. the families had to kind of travel between and then they took a big family picture at the end um like an escape room with signs and a background and everything. So families were engaged in doing some math and looking at shapes and numbers and counting which was great to see. >> Awesome. >> I have I have two um one um we're in the middle of our holiday music festivals across the district and we had a few a couple this week I think a couple last week and more to come. So, if you have a chance, um I believe they're on our our district website um on the I don't know which page it's on, but the calendar for events. Um come by and and see one of those concerts if you can.
004They're fantastic. Um the other thing is our building uh we worked with our building trades uh program over here at the high school. Um, and we made we the the people the the folks in the shop, the kids in the shop made a um a float for us to put into the Santa parade that's happening this week. It's um it goes along with our literacy theme. So, it's a literacy themed uh float and it encompasses all of our schools. So, they they made all the different logos of our schools out of wood. Um there's books represented. It's pretty cool float. So that'll be in the in the parade. I'll be marching in it with Carrie. Um any of you are certainly welcome to to march with us if you want to. Um but that's that's
005this Sunday at 4:30. Um our float will be in line at 3. So uh we're looking forward to that. That'll be a good event. And shout out to the kids. The kids did a great job on it. >> Awesome. Uh the only thing I I'll jump on is that the concerts, the Woodland fifth grade concert was Tuesday night and I was there. Um it was really impressive to see the orchestra, the band, and the chorus all somehow combined. I know they had a practice um a couple weeks ago at Woodland where the the dismissal of the chorus and orchestra combined was a bigger dismissal than a regular day's dismissal after school. So it was wild to watch the orchestration of that, but the music was fantastic. So definitely you can get to any more of
006those shows. They did a great job. All right, we can move to the general chairperson update. So, I have a few things tonight. I'll start with the MSBA project, [clears throat] and I'll thank um Chris ahead of time for providing this update earlier today. There was a site walkthrough that was done last Wednesday with several interested architectural firms. The OPM um our OPM was present um and gave building information in a projected timeline. And there was also a tour of the building on the grounds. Principal Otland and Superintendent Conigley highlighted the educational and infrastructure deficiencies for the group as well during this time. And the next milestone is Wednesday, December 18th, and that is when the architectural service proposals are due. Anything more to toss into that? Are we good? Okay. Next topic I have
007on here is the budget meeting planning. um was thinking probably a week or two ago about this and it crossed my mind that I wanted to bring up to the group whether or not we would be interested in adding an additional session earlier than we currently have scheduled. Right now we have Wednesday the 28th and Thursday the 29th, both from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. That worked fairly well last year. However, we did have numerous other meetings after that. And the reason I'm bringing this up is because we're likely going to have, I would imagine, six to eight potential negotiation meetings somewhere in the March to May time frame. So I wanted to know if people preferred adding one more session earlier on the Saturday before, which would be the 24th, to try to knock out
008more budget before we ended up with a a heavier schedule in the um in the winter. So thoughts on that? So the [clears throat] big Okay. >> No, go ahead. Go ahead. >> I was going to say the big sat the longer Saturday meeting would be the 24th. >> 24th I believe was what um when mentioned would be doable without >> messing up any timelines or any planning. They already have them please. >> Okay. So what I would say is not that I want to necessarily add anything more to the traditional budget session, but I think our budget subcommittee has some more work to do and we've have some topics on the table that might need further discussion. So I'd like to leave something open. I don't want to schedule anything, but I think there's
009going to be a lot of development between now and January 24th that we might have some more things on the table other than traditional, you know, maybe a some of the things we've been talking about for the last year or two. Just to put it vaguely, >> does it make sense to put >> that on everybody's radar? Not necessarily to book a date, but we have some [clears throat] things that have been on the table that we might need to discuss in addition to to the traditional Okay. >> um initiative [clears throat] requests. >> Okay. Would it make sense then to potentially bookmark or uh I guess tentatively schedule something for the 24th of that Saturday morning um to give us >> So we don't have a schedule now. >> Right now we only have
010the Wednesdays of the 28th and 29th. >> I think it makes sense to put that as a placeholder. I think there's a lot of >> significant things >> being discussed right now and it's >> it's only one Saturday and it's only 8 to 12 or 9 to 12 whatever presumably. Okay. [snorts] >> Um, >> yeah, I don't want to I don't want to rush through some of the important things that are >> Sure. >> I think because it's budget, it's important >> of course. >> Um, I think scheduling the dates now so we can block our calendars. It's easier to schedule them out and then if we don't need them, we can always kill them. >> Exactly. >> Right. So can we get great can we also get the subcommittee meeting scheduled as if you
011want to meet do you want to meet before or after the holiday do you think and with the 24th as being like the day that everything needs to be done and actually it probably should be done a week even a week before that at least >> I have this the 20th um as the day budget document due to So really what I want to what I want to leave on the table if I can is things we've talked about in the past, things that we haven't really finalized yet. Nothing to do with the traditional operational budget, okay? >> But things that we've already talked about and we have hanging >> and I that I think need attention. I don't want to go any deeper tonight. >> Okay. >> But um >> maybe one before the
012first and one after the first on the budget subcommittee level. Things we've already talked about things but things that need more discussion. >> Okay. So, we'll we'll have um we'll have Melissa work on that with uh for us like tomorrow or early next week. So, >> so with that, if we can do a budget one either before or after both and then just I mean whether it's a Saturday or another date that's not traditional initiative discussion in that mix. Know if that makes sense. >> Say it again. So, we want one before the first, one after. >> We want a budget subcommittee either before or after both. >> Yep. before after the first of both. >> For the purpose of discussing things that are really >> somewhat related to the budget, but not traditional um
013uh initiatives. >> Yeah. >> Things we've talked about last budget cycle, previous budget cycle. They're not new, but they're >> ongoing. >> Yeah. They're not they're not traditional principal initiatives. >> Okay. And then >> how long do you need the meeting to be >> with both? >> I mean, I need it to be five minutes, but [laughter] Maybe an hour for both. Hour and an hour. >> Excellent. We'll um we'll add the 24th to that morning. Whatever we typically did for that window and then we'll >> and and just realize that like when when I think when set the date for the 20th, it was anticipating that the the the meeting we would have would be later. So, that's going to give you all less time to see the documents before the Saturday. >> That
014will shorten our review period if everyone's okay with that. >> That's fun. >> All right. >> Make it work. >> Um I I know it's probably been said before, but uh it'd be great if we can get the documents out, you know, before we have meetings. Um you know, a few days ahead of time >> for any budget stuff. >> We're going to get four days ahead of >> the 20th. >> Okay. Just making sure. My apologies. Said so January 20th. I just assumed December 20th because that's traditionally you had always >> Yeah. for Christmas. >> No, we're talking about our meeting which would be January. >> I realized that but I'm sorry. >> I guess all your budgets from your your principles and and department heads are due when >> we're in the middle
015of budget meetings right now. >> Correct. That's what I assumed. >> And then we got to give time for when to put it all together. >> Correct. >> And then I I guess It's been on the you've you've had it on the uh books for January 20th. >> Okay. >> Which was fine. I that's what I was getting at. It was fine when the meeting was the what? 27th 28th. >> Yeah. Yes. >> You had eight days, but now you don't because we opened it to Saturday. So I don't >> I don't know that when can back it up any further, >> right? Still a lot of work to do. >> No. And that's how we ended up on the 24th. That was the one that was the one option earlier. So, we could do
016that or we could do something. Um, >> I'm sorry. I may I may even be contradicting myself, but >> we have the 28th and 29th. >> Yes. >> What is the 24th? >> The 24th was a thought of adding an another day early for the budget before we end up in a cycle of negotiation meetings on top of the other meetings. Just trying to see if people wanted to spread out their time. >> All right. So, >> while we had we could go to early February and add one after those two days instead. >> Again, I may be contraing myself. I don't think we need the 24th. I guess maybe I was taking the opportunity to say that we have some non-traditional budget items, you know, non-recurring >> or things that have happened in the
017past that I just want to have a budget subcommittee on before the 28th or 29th. Maybe I didn't articulate that well. Maybe I didn't think it through well. >> Yep. So, the the the point of this specific this specific topic um that I put in here was to see if we wanted an additional day on the calendar to try to knock out more budget stuff for the general and new initiatives piece if people don't feel like we need it, that's fine. Um if you want to schedule another one early to try to get it done earlier than we did last year because last year we had I want to say three or four meetings that went into March by the time we were done. trying to avoid. >> So I don't think we need to
018push it to that Saturday. Um again I had two digressing converging whatever you want to call it thoughts. I was thinking about other topics not the traditional ones. I don't think we need to rush the traditional ones. I think 20 29th is fine. I'll leave it up to everybody else. I'll be there on the 24th. >> I I mean if can have it available for the 20th so that way we can meet on the 24th. I think that would be ideal given like what you're saying with the contract negotiations like >> it first. >> Yeah. I mean even even if it's like a shorter initial session at least we at least get a little bit more conversation going but I'm fine either way. >> Can I guess one thing I want to add. We've been
019through are we almost done? We probably done half of our meetings already. >> I was going to update we had seven and we have nine to go. almost half. Um the way that it's looking is we're going to have less probably far less new initiatives than we've had in the past. >> Okay. >> Right. Is that fair to say? >> Not yet. >> Not ready to say that. >> It's just >> I don't know. And >> that's how it's trending. >> It's trending that way. It's trending that way. >> So it's guaranteed to be that way. So, [laughter] >> why don't we why don't we hold the idea of adding [clears throat] the 24th for now, which we still have quite a bit of time. And as you guys get a better feel, >> if
020you feel like there's going to be a lot of things we get hung up on, maybe we add it. If not, >> we'll skip it for now. Go with those first two days. >> Yeah. >> All right. >> This isn't something we have to iron out tonight. We we can we can communicate on >> do we want to have a meeting on this date? Yes or no? Outside of a meeting, >> I just want to block off dates early. >> I just Yeah, >> exactly. I wanted to bring it up while we had the time and the calendar available, but we'll uh we'll revisit it in the end of the month. >> And one other thing, Mr. Chair, is I'm flexible on those two dates. And it's just obviously we have a 7:00 meeting time.
021Would it would it benefit everybody to start an hour early at 6? >> Yes. >> For those two >> for those those two 6 to 9 instead of 7 to 9. >> Yeah. Like, you know. >> All right. That's something we can >> It's 6:00 to 9 or 6 to 8. >> When do we have those? >> Uh it's a Wednesday and Thursday, the 28th 28th and 29th. So, >> but I will defer to others that may have more engagements. >> Wednesday might be tough. Thursday. >> Fine. And again, 7 o'clock's okay with me. >> I have time. I can I can >> Want to throw it out there as a potential scenario. >> All right. We'll keep this on the radar. >> Okay. Makes sense. >> Thank you. Um, next topic. I lost it.
022Where is it? >> All right. Next topic is the school committee office hours. So, I'm bringing this up again because someone in the community actually reminded me that um we talked about this I believe in May and we talked about the idea of doing it again and it seemed like there was some interest potentially and then I think we hit initiatives uh the uh improvement plans and we never revisited it. So, we need to get back to it and and wrap this discussion up. So, I feel like we've half had this discussion a handful of times since I've been on the committee. Um my understanding and maybe John has the history on this is that this was something that was offered in the past. There was no participation from what I understand. So it stopped
023because committee members were sitting in a room for an hour multiple times a month and no one was going. Um the idea in theory obviously makes sense to have more accessibility. However, the first thing I think we really need to think about um in terms of office hours is does it actually add value to the community versus what we have right now which is invitation to speak and email. So, that's one of the questions I'd like to work out and if there's a value to it, and we believe there is, um, I would like to nail down potential uh, individuals that could commit to some sort of sessions and early evenings. But I guess let's start with just whether or not there's a value for it, John. >> So, I I'll certainly give you my
024opinion. We're seven elected officials. We're we all are highly accessible, I think, phone, email, uh, in person. I don't know what an office hour does that somebody can't reach us in any other through any other avenue. And I know that any individual meeting in the office hours isn't speaking for the whole committee. They're just hearing a resident's um thoughts or complaints or anything else. I don't see the it's not something I see as adding a whole lot of value. Of course, more accessibility is more value add, but I just don't see the need. I mean, what What's the problem? Who who can't reach whom? I mean I mean I can call you, any resident can call you, me, or anybody else. They all know where I live. They can reach me in many different fashions.
025So I don't know why we're going to do that. I I know that there was in the past it was it was done for a reason and I think it was um a good will, a good gesture. I don't know that anything came of it and that's just my personal opinion. I mean and I know that was done with all highly um uh good intentions. >> Okay. >> Yeah, I agree with John. We, you know, I was part of that time frame where we had the office hours and I believe yeah, a few people did show up at the beginning and then it it rarely fell off. Like like John had just said, we have our our emails are posted. If someone emails us, we can certainly have a conversation with them by sharing off
026our phone numbers. So the accessibility is there to to reach out to us. I'm not opposed to at least trying it once or twice. I just feel that, you know, myself personally, I don't get a lot of emails from from outside uh the unless it's just this general working group uh forformational purposes, but other than that, people aren't really reaching out to with with questions uh regarding the school district. So, again, we can try it. I just don't foresee it having a lot of of traction, but certainly worth seeing if it if it'll work. >> Awesome. Yeah, I I I tend to agree. Um I would love the idea of more accessibility, but we do have invitation to speak here. You can email the chair to put on an appointment. You have our emails. Um
027again, I I do agree with you, Chris. If you wanted to give it a little bit of try, I'm fine with that, too. But, um I also just feel in a setting like that, you know, I don't want anyone to misinterpret what I say to be the voice of the committee either. So, I feel like that's another, you know, avenue that gives me a little bit of pause in participating in that. But, um, I would say if we want to create more accessibility, we should probably do it here first and then maybe um, you know, expand office hours if necessary, but I don't have a suggestion what we should do here either, but just more my thoughts. >> So, fortunate for me because I feel like it depends on how we engage and how do
028we how do we get an audience? um being here, if people have to come to us, can we go to them? I do think that putting office hours directed towards maybe a certain like a an area a a like showing up somewhere maybe that could stir people to have like, oh, I actually I did have a question, you know, but unfortunately I I haven't seen that engagement anywhere. And that's that's I don't know. I'm just not I'm I'm new with this so I'm not really sure like how like how to approach it really. >> Um just hearing the talk so I um I know I brought this up last session like spring, right? Um I reached out to a couple friends who were in PTO's and didn't get a didn't get a good response because
029my my thought to Derek's point is general office hours I think people aren't just going to show, right? it's just too it's too broad, >> right? So, I was like, "Oh, let's go with PTOs." It just didn't seem like a a good fit. Um, but then I also realized um recently that, you know, when you look at like office hours of like, you know, congressional um elected officials, it's office hours for them. It's not office hours for Congress, right? To these points, we can't have an office hours for the committee because we can't speak on behalf of the committee. And so if Chris Wilson wants to have office hours for him and any constituents who want to talk to Chris, that makes sense. But to have a school committee office hours doesn't really make any
030sense to me. Um, so as we go through this evolution, just thinking about it now, a feedback session, stuff like that, sure. And I I agree with Derek if it's targeted, you know, if we want to go after like, you know, parents at certain schools or show up at certain like teacher events to do something. But I I I I think the the more I hear about this general office hours for school committee doesn't make sense because we do it twice a month at invitation to speak. So it's my two cents. >> Just just to add to put in perspective, we know our role here and the general public may not. It's it's basically budget policy etc. I don't we have a highly accessible administration. Anybody that has a problem shouldn't be reaching out to
031the administration. We're not day-to-day operations. Again, we have full confidence. I think we all do in our administration. My encouragement would be that if you have a question or problem directed to the administration and it goes teacher, assistant principal, principal, assistant superintendent, superintendent, but we're not going to answer 99% of the questions that people that are going to attend this type of format forum um are going to have. We're we're going to kind of set false expectations. I mean, you want to know how much we spent? Oh, we're your guys. That's it. Or girls, guys. No, no disrespect, men. You know, we're your people. We're your board. But do you see where I'm going with this? It's it we don't want to we don't we don't want to set up unrealistic expectations. The administration's here
032five days a week. Well, probably some sometimes seven. >> Excellent. All right. So, I hear it loud and clear. There's just right now it doesn't seem like that that's the right place for it. So, we will officially close that topic for now. It'll come up maybe another day when we're not here. Who knows? All right. Thank you for that. Uh I'm going to jump us over to agenda item six so we can get to the class size discussion if nobody has any concern with that shifting. No. All right. So, let's move on to the report of the superintendent of schools. >> Okay. Um we've invited um Sher Peterson and Nick Molinari from uh Milford Teachers Association um to come have a discussion about our class sizes. Um I think before we start with class sizes,
033I I just want to have a a I actually want to flip it and talk about enrollment numbers. Um you all I think I believe have the um in your agenda online you have a link to um open architects. They have the same open architects um link but you can go in there and look at enrollment and you can look at um what's there this year versus what's there what we had last year. Um, and we're currently uh losing approximately 20 to 30 students a month. So, um, as the year has gone on, we're down uh, hold on, I lost it. Now we are down. We started the year at uh 4317 and we are down to 4266. All right. So down I don't know what's quick math 50 60 kids but roughly 60 kids
034from the start of the the school year. So losing 20 to 30 a month. Um which losing the difference between like this year and in other years is we normally lose a number of students on any given month. The difference is we would always have somebody we would always have groups of kids backfilling those positions. So, our turn rate, um, we'd lose a bunch of kids and we'd get a bunch of kids. So, but we'd always be on the positive side of that. This year, um, it's a little bit of the opposite. Well, it's a lot of bit of the opposite. We're losing kids, but we're not back filling that those seats with other students. Um, so it's something that we are keeping an eye on. Um, you can see there's there's a chart as
035you open Open Architects, um, of where the last three years have gone. Um, but I think over the next two or three months it'll be it'll be kind of telling as to where this will go for the rest of the year because usually January, February, and even into March, we see an uptick of students um coming into our district. Um the in in South America, the summer is winding down around February and March. Their new school year kicks in. So it's it's kind of the right time when um if they're going to leave those countries and come to this country. Um that's usually when we see students coming in around that time. Um but it is a trend that we are keeping an eye on and we'll see what happens over the next couple months.
036Um but it's I don't know. It's it's it's concerning right now. We'll just see where it goes. I I don't. So, I'm going to shift it over to um Sher and Nick to talk about uh courses. >> Hi everybody. Thanks for having us. Uh so, we come twice a year, but usually we only come once a year uh to go over the course numbers. And generally what I'll do is I'll put in Craig, do they have the same screen I do where they can look at >> Well, just tell them which one you I mean, we can always we can always put it here and I can share and you can tell me and what you want to share. >> Yes. So, I'm looking at uh enrollment. It says enrollment- committee. And I'll go through
037to each of the schools. So, right now I'm on Memorial. And I'll just scroll through from top to bottom and see anything that pops out. We have a number that we try to stick to of 24 and we're doing really well with that. Uh one of the things that does stick out though is the constitution of each class. So sometimes uh you may be at a number of say 20 students which is great but 55% are e 30% are IEP and 29% uh of that group are both. Uh so that's going to be a pretty challenging class. Um so those are things that stuck out to me at Memorial. We've also got one of the things that I can't see is who else is in this room. So, if that's one teacher in that room,
038that's uh that's really difficult. But when Craig and I have uh Craig Spren to some of these schools uh and a lot of times there's more than that, but that's not reflected in these numbers here. Uh which I can't see. Um so Craig would be able to speak better about who's got TAs. I know all of the kindergartens have TAS. So when I look at those numbers, I know, okay, there's at least two in there. Um but you do have that issue of you know, if I've got uh 47% eelss at that level, chances are they speak very limited English at that level, and if neither the teacher nor the TA uh does, that uh adds to the difficulty of teaching that class, even when the numbers are pretty low. Um it's similar at Shining
039Star. shining star. There were only two classes that I think um popped up as being somewhat difficult because of those numbers of eelss and IEPs in the same room. Yeah. So, see like the second one there, uh, 15 students, 15 preschoolers, 14% IEP, 40 uh, sorry, 40% e, 47% IEP, and a 40% over overlap. >> But now, Craig, can you tell from looking at this how many people I'm assuming that's not one teacher in a room with >> No, if you see if you see a number with um, if you see IEPs in a class, there's going to be there's going to be support in that room >> when there's over a certain amount. Correct. that there's >> no when there's IEPs, it's telling you there's it's an inclusion room. So there'll be >> so
040there's always somebody >> there's there's going to either be a teach there'll be a teacher assigned but they'll either be a teacher or a TA in practice but a teacher will be assigned. >> Okay, gotcha. Um okay, that's helpful to know. Uh when I looked at the high school numbers, if you want to click on the high school, uh the first thing I did was run the report for anything 25 or over because our our number to look at is 24. That's kind of that threshold number. And there weren't that many, but what I did notice is that a lot of them were in uh core classes. So history's English um seem to be pretty high in those numbers as well as algebra. Uh yet not so much with the electives talking points at the
041bottom there is something completely different. It must be in our schedule. >> It's just it's not an actual class. Uh so those high numbers uh we can just sort of >> Yeah. That's just how you have to do it so that it can read talking points can read. Yeah. So, the first thing that I I thought of when I saw those numbers that are getting a little bit high, um that might be problematic when we shift to a new uh graduation requirement, uh framework because we're no longer using the MCCAST. I know that Mora Hilly gave a press conference the other day where they're planning something much more comprehensive and with potentially a capstone uh component to it >> years down the road. >> Yeah. But something to maybe keep in mind, uh, because we're
042going to have to be testing these kids and figuring that out ourselves. Um, and if we've got our faculty already committed to classes these big, we might consider adding more to the core because those are the subjects that are going to be tested. I think it's now expanded from math, English, and I think history, and science are also going to be tested there, too. Uh, so that was one of the things that popped out at the high school. >> All right. So, I I have to interrupt if I can. if I can. You have to you have to back up for me. We're here we're here to talk class sizes, right? >> Yes. >> And you keep talking about a bunch of different demographics within the class size, which is lost on me right now.
043>> Okay. >> Um, so we >> You don't have to do it now. You can send me a summary later. I don't want to I don't want to derail the whole conversation. Sure. >> We're here for class size and you're talking about a bunch of other demographics that I can't follow right now. I'm willing to not willing to I don't want to derail you right now. I'm not willing to argue, but you got to put this in a little better context for me in the future if you can. >> Yeah, >> because I'm not seeing it here and I I can't find that page. I'm like I can see it up there obviously. >> Right. So, the makeup of the class is relevant when you're talking. >> Of course it is. >> It's going to
044be more difficult to teach a class depending on the makeup of >> I totally get that, but I just need I need it parsed out for me because I'm not here every day. >> Okay, gotcha. >> I mean, you guys are you guys are talking the language, you know, Craig, Carrie, you you both, >> right? Um, but I'm not talking that language. So, back I don't want to say back it up if you can >> um >> give me a followup or something because I get what you're saying, but it's it's it's it's hard to digest right here right now. >> Gotcha. Well, Craig's answered my question for the elementary schools where there's additional people anytime we see that IEP number increase for the high school. Uh, that hasn't been a factor with these numbers
045I'm looking at. This is regardless of any demographics. the core uh are our largest classes and I think that's something to consider uh moving forward especially with the new uh frameworks that were potentially going to be not frameworks the new graduation requirements that are going to roll up. Did you have a question Mike? >> I did. So are are the CL over high level are the class sizes better than last year? >> I'd say about the same. >> It depends on how you define better. Just general numbers wise, I think they're about >> slower. Are they what I mean, what are we talking about? Do we have lower class sizes in our elementary schools? Yes, we have I mean, >> but let me put it this way. We have lower enrollment, right? Same amount of
046teachers. So, we have lower class sizes. >> That's also for like so class size from last year to this year super high level. Are we trending better? Sounds like we are. That's >> however I mean it's it's it's very >> it's very much it's more complicated than that. >> Of course. It's very Yeah. I just wanted to get >> like the way that we used to do this report was we have 15 we have 15 English sections in eighth grade. Uh we have 15 eighth grade English sections. we would take the number of eighth grade students, divide it by 15, and say that our class size is x 20, right? Because we did the the math. But it's it's much more nuance than that, right? Like Sher will tell you, she has a class of
047she has one or two classes of 27 or 28 students, but then she also has two or three classes of 14, 15 or whatever it is, right? So, it's on the one hand, she has some high class sizes. On the other hand, there's lower class sizes, but if you average it together, >> from a committee, >> from my perspective, a committee's perspective, I think we're entering budget season. >> And so, the reason I asked that is super high level is, you know, are we looking like we need to add more teachers or or not? And that's where my mind is going. So, it sounds like that the class sizes have gone >> a little smaller >> than last year, which is a good trend. >> Um, and so, yeah, and of course, it's nuance. I
048totally agree. When we get into the individual education, that's a whole whole new story. >> I want I want to >> just from the 50,000 foot level, are we you know, >> where are we going? So that's a I just want to >> 50,000 ft. We have 14 memory class >> and and I also think Yeah, you're right. And I also think that um what also complicates it is if you just want to roll out a um a high school with core classes and be done with it, you can have really probably nice even classes, nice and small. But if you want to like add elective classes and and do all these different things, there has to be a sacrifice somewhere because you have to take something out of the schedule to create this other
049class which would then increase class sizes over here. That makes sense to you, right? like >> yeah the TP >> you have to get rid of a a 10th grade English class to create a a different sort of English elective over here which would make this increase but then also you're adding this other class size and I think you can see over here um the higher class sizes to Nick's earlier point when you look at EL and IEP um as he was pointing pointing out earlier, it's AP calculus, for example, it's 28 students, but it's pretty homogeneous, >> can I ask a really simple question? Um, >> and we could spend hours digging into the, you know, right? So, and I get it from the the the the deeper the the closer you get to
050it, the more nuanced. Um, and I think I probably asked this before. When we talk about the class sizes, what is the goal that we want to leave with? >> Right. >> I I'll answer that, Mike, because um several years ago, many contract negotiations ago, uh, we talked about the language in the contract that says that you guys will do your best to keep class size averages at 24. And every year class size averages were 24. and it looked fantastic because the class size average was 24. >> Um, but as teachers, you know, we said, >> yeah, the average is 24, but that doesn't mean that we're not teaching classes of 30 or 31 or 32 because at the time there were classes that were that big. And so we added into our contract language
051that we would come and present to you guys a more thorough or more slightly and more indepth um report on what the class sizes actually were as opposed to just looking at the class size averages, right? Um and since we've been doing this, the class size averages have dropped. And we have seen some of those classes that were 31 or 32 go into the 20s, 28 and 27. Um, at Stacy, uh, the numbers look pretty good. Most of the larger class sizes are like your honors classes in the eighth grade. So, you know, it it's they're not there's not the support that you would need when you have 28 kids. Um the seventh grade classes are a bit concerning when I poked my nose into them. Uh the numbers are still under 24. Um but
052when I discussed this with a couple people in the no, they did say that um we're still short some support staff. So that we have classes of 19 and 20 and 21 that have high numbers of EL and IEP kids or kids that are both. and we haven't been able to hire um the support staff needed and they we do have those job postings out and I know that we're trying to get that fixed. Uh but that was definitely um at the schools that I looked at which were Stacy and Brookside um and Woodland, those were definitely some concerning class size um and class makeups. Um, again, you know, it's there's teacher shortage, shortage of people going into education. I don't necessarily think this is something that the school committee is not doing to address
053it. Um, it just is. This is what's happening in our district right now. Um >> uh one thing uh that this discussion doesn't really address but still relevant and we're working on it with Craig. Last time we met we were going to have a committee a case load committee for those individual providers and what uh they're dealing with and some of those have very large case loads which it's not a class but it's still the amount of people uh uh that they're working with. So, we had it in the contract last year that we're going to do a report and I don't think that committee ever ended up coming to fruition. Is that your understanding too, Craig? >> I wasn't part of a committee. >> Yeah, we we are. Yeah, that is. >> So, we're
054going to reestablish that committee hopefully before negotiations too, so we've got some uh data to deal with. Uh but the sooner we can do that the better because I know I've heard from BCBAS uh that are are saying that we need more BCBAs there and there's a few other service providers uh too that could probably potentially uh add more members there. Yes. >> To uh I agree with John. You guys are talking the lingo again. I have I but my point is if there's a a report supposed to be provided where's the report? >> Well that that's >> right. So like there's nothing for me to look at because as a school comm I want to make sure going the budget cycle that we have the appropriate class sizes and your input for nuance is
055super important. >> Yeah. >> But I don't have any like we have access to this but that's you know >> well that yeah that's exactly why I'm bringing it up because as good as these class numbers are we're not seeing any of those case load numbers. So somehow that needs to be >> So that means nothing to me. Sorry I know what that means. a case. So if you are a speech language pathologist for example >> or a guidance counselor, you would have you wouldn't have class sizes. You would have case loads. So how many students are you servicing per month? How many students do you meet with? How many parents do you meet with per month? Um and the state has guidelines um and that's what the committee is going to be looking at.
056>> Is that part of the class sizes though? >> No, that's what I'm saying. >> Okay. So it is this focused on class sizes this topic. >> Yeah, it is. Yeah, >> I'm sorry. I'm I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm I'm just trying to say, you know, we I want to use the information to make sure that we're budgeting right and I don't have anything to look at. >> Gotcha. >> Right. So, >> that's what I'm >> We could sit here and listen to you guys talk, you know, lingo all night and it's not going to make much of a difference for me. >> So, so >> sorry. So, I'm trying to put this in context. I've been making a few gestures over here because I raised my arm like 19 times, but
057we're here to to put in context. We're here because of the contractual obligation to discuss classroom sizes. Is that fair to say? >> Yes. >> Um [snorts] and we're hearing don't don't we're [snorts] hearing that the set class size has decreased, >> but we're also hear me out, Nick. [laughter] >> That the intensity of the instruction has increased dramatically because of the case loads and the other things that I I can't articulate very well. >> Yeah. I don't know if it's dramatically or it's definitely some somewhat student. Yeah. >> So, we we're we're I think we want to accomplish two things. We're here to do the contractual obligation to hear about the class sizes, but we're also here to holistically solve or improve the situation. >> Yes. >> And and and that's what I'm all
058about. I'm not here to argue about I I was arguing about the fact that I don't understand it because I don't understand all the language that you're saying like I said earlier. But, [clears throat] um I am here to help >> hear it and address it and improve it if that makes sense. >> Yeah. I I agree. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I I want to help. >> Yes. So, uh >> give me information to help. >> I'm bringing it up just because it's something that's not captured in here that uh we do need to take into consideration that's closely related to class sizes, but for different faculty members and that we do have a committee that we're forming that's going to be able to give you more clear information about that. Is
059>> that accurate? >> It is. Ex. And we're going to be looking for school committee members to be honest because >> Mike just signed up. >> Sounds like careful what you wish for. >> It's in the contract that way. >> So can I look at algebra 2 one and two? I see that has 28 students uh 7% e 4%. What what do you think about that? Is that class size is >> what happened? >> Yeah, that's a tough question. >> Is that is that at the high school or >> At the high school >> algebra 2 what? H 01. >> So that would be an honors section of algebra 2. >> Just to give you context what that H stands for. >> I can talk about math a little bit in in terms of the
060math um sectioning and scheduling. >> There are sometimes decisions made where the honors sections are okay to be a little bit higher so that the CP and concept sections are a little bit lower. knowing stereotypically that some of our IEP and EL students are sitting in a concepts in a CP level course. Not that they don't have access to the honors, but stereotypically that's um what kind of happens. So that's where I think you guys are talking about like there's some give and take of do we make algebra 2 even of 24 across the board. We probably could do that, but a 24 class of concept students is very different than a 24 class of algebra 2 honor students. >> And you can have um students who are eelss or honor um honor IEPs if
061they're if they're their need is not in in math, right? They might have a a reading disability but can do fantastic in math and you would want to give them that opportunity to take those. We have a breakdown, but doesn't break it down as much as you need. >> Right. We and I we don't have that either, but I know that speaking from my own personal experience, I often have kids in my honors classes that are either L's or IEPs for um disabilities in other areas. >> Great. Glad I brought brought that example. >> Yeah. >> Break that one down. Perfect. there um other major topics you guys want to touch on that you didn't get a chance to speak about? >> I don't think so. I think we we covered it. >> Okay. So,
062I I'm just kind of wrapping up what I've been listening to and I think the data we have here is great. Um going into budget season, obviously you guys are going to work on that task force. >> Um especially those case loads. I think that we've had this discussion year after year with case loads about whether or not there's enough support staff in place. Obviously, the sooner we can get that information, the better because I think that that's always going to be a topic we're going to have to talk about at budget time. Um, as needs go up and down, we need to make sure we're providing people for that. So, um, that report would be awesome if you guys get us that sooner than later. Um, >> and when you need that person to
063join that, just let us know and we'll find somebody. >> All right, sounds good. [laughter] >> Nobody's looking at you, Mike. >> No, no, no. Having to help. >> All right. Thanks, folks. Thank you so much for your time. We appreciate it. >> Thank you. >> All right. We will bounce back to agenda item four, which is listed as outofstate travel request for the >> high school varsity cheerleaders um to nationals in Orlando. >> I almost forgot. Thank you. >> Is that about it? So um our cheerleaders are participate would like to request to participate in the nationals air nationals in Orlando Florida. Uh their plan is to head down is to come to school for a half a day on Thursday head down in the afternoon of Thursday March 12th. They will miss that
064half a day. The half a day that is already scheduled for Friday. It's the Friday the 13th is a half a day. They'll compete Saturday and Sunday, return Monday, and be back in school on Tuesday the 17th. Um they're hoping to defend their national title from last year's nationals. >> So they need they need a boat from you because it's an out ofstate travel request. So they're they're missing two days of school >> about >> technically technically yes >> two half days and a full day. >> Who pays for this? >> I don't know the answer to that. I think they do some fundraising. >> They do some fundraising and then they pay for it on their own. >> This is something that they've done for for years >> with with no issues. >> So
065I'm happy to make a motion to approve this out of state travel. Motion by Chris to approve, second by Derek. All in favor? It's unanimous. Thank you. All right. Uh we will move on to the MPS policy review. So there is one policy for now that we will talk about which is file JLCD administering medicine to students. Um there's an update or I should say just a kind of a red line change you'll see down in the fourth paragraph um changing vote to changing from vote to to authorize and um obviously just summarizing this policy in general um that's related to medicine and who's allowed to give medicine to students this also would bring um >> I can talk about >> please because I lost my place >> um yeah so at the last policy
066meeting. We talked about this. Basically, it authorizes the the the superintendent um to approve training for um Narcan. Um that's the the big lift, right? So, this was a recommendation from the the nursing director um to do it and so this the the policy committee supported it. We hope you guys support as well too. [clears throat] >> Is there anything else? I think that was >> this is the discussion phase by the way, just to make that clear. So far away. >> No more discussion on this. >> No discussion. Yeah. >> Okay. And I will look for a motion to approve file JLCD administering medicine to students. Motion by Brendan. Second by Derek. All in favor. Thank you. I did [clears throat] just want to also, you know, publicly thank Amy Leon of of Chris's
067Quarter and Police Chief um Tino as well for bringing this Narcan initiative um up around town. It's not just in the schools. they've put in other places obviously in the town as well and um I think it's a it's a good step obviously in protecting this community so we'll thank them for that. All right, so we'll go on to agenda item seven which is a report of the interimm assistant superintendent for teaching and learning. >> Great. Um thank you. So, there's another policy that we need to make some updates to, um, which is JF1, our middle school pathway exploration policy. Um, back in October, we this is a brand, this was a brand new policy that we, um, are required to put in place by Desi. Um, when we submitted it to Desi, we received
068two pieces of feedback. So, there's two um, changes that we need to make to our policy. The first piece of feedback um they provided to us said that while the middle school plans to integrate career exploration into middle school learning through the implementation of MYAP beginning in 2027, the policy should still include language on how the school is currently connecting awareness of secondary school options to students secondary and post-secondary academic and career planning. which is why you will see the red line um that deletes the words beginning in the fall of 2027 under the career exploration for middle school students. Um that is okay with us. We were going to do a slow roll of my cap starting this January with our grade 8 students. Um we will just do a faster roll as a
069result um of this requirement from DESIE. Um we do have a MYAP team advisory in place um which was a grant funded um through the high school and the middle school. So we have guidance counselors and administration already working on the implementation of this um program. And so the timeline is faster than we had planned to do but it is okay um to do this in starting in January. Um, just so you know, my CAP is really just a it's a framework um for students to kind of go through um that has to do with college, career, and civic readiness. Um, and it will include a platform that they track over the course of the year. So, they will kind of build this portfolio from sixth grade and then use it in their college planning
070up here at the high school. So, I think it's a really great um opportunity and um the pathway and the online system is all supported for free. So there's no financial implications here. The second piece of feedback that Dusty gave us was that the policy should clarify that seventh and eighth grade student names and addresses are shared by October 15th. Which is why under information sharing you see the change in language from upon request annually annually to by October 15th each year. Um which is really just a quick change there. Um and then as we were reviewing this um this policy is very Blackstone Valley Regional Technical Vocational Technical High School ready um focused and so we added the paragraph around what we're doing to kind of collaborate with Milford High School between Stacey Middle
071School especially as we look to bring in more CTE policies um programs for our students. Um so we wanted to make sure that that language was there so that if our students are going to BBT for a tour then they should be coming up to Milford High School for a tour. if they're getting information sessions from BBT, then we want to be providing them with that information sessions as well. So, we added that language. Um although Desi didn't require that addition here. This does require a vote because um it's a update to policy. >> Any discussion on that? >> Just a question. Isn't this the policy that we recently voted but now you're amending it? >> Exactly. This was back in October. Desi kicked it back to us and said you have to make these
072changes >> because it all sounds >> here's the change almost identical. >> Yes. >> But that's important to know. It's like >> Desi >> we submitted it to Desi and Desi kicked it back and said you're missing this and this and so that's why we have to come in front of you. >> That makes sense. >> Okay. I'll motion hold on. >> No more discussion. >> No. All right. I'll motion to accept the changes. >> All right. Uh motion by Brandon to accept the changes to the policy >> JF1. >> I'll second. >> Second by Chris. All in favor? >> Unanimous. >> And the last update I have is just around our um implementation of expeditary learning at the K5 level. Um we're, believe it or not, we're more than a third of the way
073through the school year. Um so we are more than a third of the way through our first year of implementation on expeditary learning. Um Carol Serverki who's our curriculum supervisor of literacy has really started working um closely with our instructional coaches um doing some language dives. A language dive is a core practice um as a part of the program that um supports students to look at and understand the structure of the language of a text really in the service of comprehension. And so she's collaborating on a bi-weekly basis now with the instructional coaches around this specific practice um to make sure that the coaches are comfortable with it, but then also to start to think about how do we get our teachers to start to implement this um core practice um with integrity and the
074way we want it to be implemented. So she's spending a lot of time building their content knowledge and expertise and pedagogical knowledge to get um the information to the teachers. Um the instructional coaches will also begin to engage with our TNTP consultant um on some monthly um professional development sessions that are part of our Prism grant that we have. Um I think that this is a great way to kind of bring an outside perspective in. They've done some learning walks and some data. So they've identified um some areas of growth in terms of our implementation and so they will be working together to address those areas of growth um and really problem solve and I think it's great um you know sometimes no matter what organization you're in you get a little blindsided by the
075way that we do things in an organization so this will give them a perspective from the outside to potentially make some shifts and changes um accordingly. Um a really quick highlight here is that the grade one Brookside team um just finished their modular one which is three units. Um the modular was called be a maker, solve problems and create fun. Um and uh at the end of the modular students were engaging in a performance assessment around creating something to benefit the classroom community. um they held an event on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving break where they called it maker mission celebration and the students shared their creations with each other and other staff members and district leadership kind of went and celebrated with them. Um and the grade one team was really enthusiastic around like having
076this expedentiary learning program allows us to do these types of events. Um and there was even a comment about bringing in the community next year to celebrate um some of the different inventions that the um students came up with or a maker mission um that they came up with. So I think that's a huge win in year one that we're already celebrating kind of student work um in a public internal way right now and hopefully that becomes something where we're engaging community and families um in the future. Um we're also in budget season as we talked about a little bit earlier. Um, so the literacy department is really looking at like what do we have as excess material um that will help us with some of the savings next year as we look to do
077our purchasing um for expedentiary learning. And honestly, that is like a huge shout out to the curriculum team leaders at the K5 uh level um for literacy that's really making sure we're counting the books correctly and what do we have and what does every teacher need in their classroom and that inventory management piece. Um so they're doing a great job um supporting Carol and doing that. it's it's tedious, time consuming work and so they're they're taking the lead on that which is great. Um my last update here has to do with Ignite which is our onetoone tutoring at um Brookside and um Memorial. We have 100 I mean 205 seats this year. It was a grant that we received to fund this. Um at the beginning of the year 165 of those students were placed
078in the kindergarten level skills group. Um, at the conclusion of the first cycle, which just happened, we saw 75% of those students progressed to grade one, um, which means 45% of our students have already moved a grade level in one cycle of one-on-one tutoring with Ignite, which is, um, huge data to celebrate. Um, and also a huge, um, thank you to the teachers for putting their kids on the one-to-one Chromebooks, um, with the tutor, but it's it's making a change for our kids and hopefully helping us close some of the, um, foundational literacy, phonics skills that we are not addressing with expedentiary learning because we're addressing the comprehension, building knowledge, um, piece of things there. So, that's what's going on with K5 literacy a lot, but um, some really good things, >> Mr. Sure. Can
079I ask you ahead? >> You sir, quick question. Um, obviously we've become a very technologydriven kind of >> uh people, how much time or are we looking at how much time is it truly like looking at, you know, paper versus screens? You know, I know that you just talked the only reason why I thought that you just talked about Ignite and how Ignite, it sounds like you're on a computer and that must be the a way of assessing that. >> Yeah. So, Ignite is onetoone tutoring online for 15 minutes a day. Okay. >> Um, so the kid gets on with their one-on-one tutor for just those 15 minutes. In terms of like time on screens for expedentiary learning, we've bought a ton of what they call trade books. So kids have the physical copy. There's
080about three to four kids per physical copy of the book. So there's six of the same book in the classroom at a time and they're sitting down on the rug looking at that book, engaging in that text. It's not text on the screen. >> Um the teachers do have powerpoints and stuff like that where they're using it um when it's whole group, but we bought all the teachers the physical copies of the books to do readalouds and all of that as well. >> I appreciate that. Yeah, like I said, it's we're trying to balance that out, right? Like technology is there to be able to utilize and it's it's the draw for students, but we also, you know, trying to still utilize, you know, >> pen and paper, >> correcting. [clears throat] >> Yeah. Yeah.
081I think only Ignite is the >> from what I talked about in terms of exponential learning and only >> it's it's a snapshot of their day. >> And it's important to note it's it's like a Zoom meeting, right? You're you're interacting with somebody. It's not like you're on the screen trying to read a book. You're interacting with the person on the screen. >> Okay. >> Screen time. It's still screen, but I think it's different. >> Different sort of screen time, right? >> Where it's interactive. >> Okay. >> Thank you. >> Yeah. Um question about or question comment about the Ignite onetoone learning. Um, I don't know if you're aware, uh, Jay Gogenaus, who's our congressman, um, he's actually proposed a new legislation for additional funding for one to one. Have you reached out to his
082office at all to like show him the data and like help support this initiative or any type of insight into where that's coming? I It's pretty new that he's introduced this, but you've been talking about it for a while specifically because of the pandemic learning or the lack of or the learning that we lost during that time frame. Yeah, I have not. But I >> I'll send you over. >> There was Yeah, send it to me. There was a group and Craig, I believe you were part of the group that went to the state house last year and did some lobbying around >> one-on-one literacy tutoring. >> Yeah. Um I don't remember if he was there or not. Um Brian Murray was there >> support us. Um, so we had we're part of an initial
083grant with 18 last year and there was some data that came out of that um through John's Hopkins um and they sort of led the charge in in lobbying at the state level for more funding for the one-on-one tutoring. Um, truth be told, could we use more funding? Uh, in other words, more seats, not at the not at the grade where not at grade one where they're offering it. Um, so I I we're fortunate to have the grant that we have for this year. It's it ends at the end of this year. So now we have to figure out what we're going to do for next year for the next first graders. But um at the very least, we're hoping that the first grade kids that we have in front of us now that are
084using Ignite are going to be put in a much better position in se in second grade um to continue to grow. >> And that's what we saw with our our students last year who are who we got the grant for. >> Will we have that dollar value for budget season? >> Yeah, we have it. >> Okay. Any other questions? >> All right. Thank you. >> We'll go to the report of the school business administrator next. >> Thank you. Um first I want to update our budget um process in the by 27 budget. Um this week we kick off our budget meetings and we met with seven schools um so far and we we don't um we do see a trend of last sleep initiatives this year but we have nine to go. So maybe some
085he heavy liftings next week. Um in the conversations we're looking clos at the uh level service needs, new initiatives and uh capital planning. Um the director of literacy elelll and uh special ed is always present to be part of the team. Um so the meetings is really about us listening and clarifying make sure uh the schools um has their needs that which feeds our district development plan. >> Um we see some initiatives that come back to the book that was not approved last year. Um we talk about Ignite um with with that's good news but with or without the grants we do we want to continue to see this student success um so we put some seeds on the elementary school's budget um and the workbooks we talk about workbooks um do we stick with
086more pen and paper right so this is all click >> um and um there's some Um, of course there's some initiatives that's based on compliance that's um just purely student needs at different levels. Um, the goal is to build a budget that is consistent, equitable, and align with our three district priorities. Uh, we're planning to u get information that will help us make decisions when we submit the district budget recommendations. Any questions about the budget update? um community use. I know we've talked about like the copier leases and whatnot being put into the operational budget. Is that the plan for uh the 27 >> would that be better served in the subcommittee because we don't have any real spreadsheets in front of us. >> I was asking that was the plan. >> We did start
087our work on we can defer. >> We did an assessment uh we can report at the subcommittee. Okay. Okay. Um so the school bids um procurement site um transportation bids are posted as of December 1st. Um they're also available on the website under business office tab if you're interested to look at it. Um for next staff we have a um voluntary pre- bid meeting scheduled for the 17th and the bids are due on the 28th. So the hope was um to have a u some number to look at for our first budget meetings, but but it doesn't matter. I can put the placeholder there um for the the bid numbers. Um uh we're still receiving questions and interest on other on call services for the >> um HVAC HVAC um project and other school project.
088And um so far we received um 20 29 OPM services request and 48 for designers. Um so the questions are due yes were due yesterday uh for the OPMS and um the bids are due next Thursday. Um, and once all the bids coming in, um, Greg already sent out emails to schedule the the committee to go over the bids and, um, select four up to four OPMs that serve us. >> And then the for the architectural on call services, um, questions are due on the 10th and the bids are due on the 17th. So, a lot of things are happening quickly. So, um there's a lot of work to go um like think about 48 bits to look at. Well, hopefully >> we don't know. >> No, we don't know. Um to look at um
089and I will keep you updated. >> Better bring coffee to that one. >> Yeah. Quick question regarding school buses. Um just I know that we're we're in this bid process >> and it was asked in the past and it may be too late. uh cameras on school buses and just >> it's in there. It is in there. >> We have >> because I know we currently do not. >> Didn't we have that as a separate? >> It's in the bid. We have two different We asked them to put in to put up two bids. One with one without >> cameras. Yes. >> Yeah. >> Any app tracking? >> Right now. >> Okay. >> Any what >> like app tracking like to see where the >> um they are using trans uh what reversal transer software.
090I know Hopington has the app tracking, but I don't know. >> I'm just curious. I know it's a thing. We don't own the app. We don't own the software, so it's up to the bus. Yeah, the bus. >> No, I Okay, just curious. >> Excellent. >> Good. >> All right. No other questions there. >> Okay. Excellent. So, we can move on to the consent agenda, which we're not really going to do. So, let me just take these one. [laughter] Let me take these one at a time since it's short anyway. Um, we do have 11 warrants in the amount of $724,110.33. >> So, moved. >> Motion by Michael. >> Second by John. All in favor? >> Unanimous. >> Okay. So, for the minutes, um, I apologize to Melissa ahead of time because I did not
091finish my note about a missing sentence earlier. So, um, but she's really fast. [laughter] Thank you. Um, just to finish the thought, the uh item number four for general chairperson update, there was a missing date in the statement, but it has since been uh magically placed into the note. [snorts] So, does anybody have anything else on the minutes? I see nothing. So, approval um of minutes for November 20th, 2025 regular session. Is there a motion for approval? >> Motion by Chris. Second. Second by Derek. All in favor? >> I see. Uh I'm working on counting and it's not going well right now. Five in favor and uh one abstain. >> Thank you. >> All right. Subcommittee updates. Were there any? No. No. That's easy. Future agenda items. Does anybody have anything um that is not
092on the long-term agenda that you would like to add? >> Figured I'd give everybody else a chance first. >> Sure. Two things. Uh job descriptions. That's something we've talked about in the past. Just want to get an update on where we are and where we're going. >> Job descriptions of what? be more specific. Do you mean reviewing them or was this >> is this probably like the org chart the top of the [laughter] >> You don't want to go on the tangent. >> So yeah, basically our org chart I there's >> I'll chime in later. >> Yeah, or chart I think is the one and then the secondary one is looking at the numerous stipened positions as we approach >> our budget season. >> Working on it. Well, we'll give you an update. >> Thanks.
093>> It's all I'm asking for, an update. >> Yeah. >> Want to keep it on the radar. >> Got it. >> Yeah. So, I I think just to reiterate what Chris said, we need to hit job description for every single position in this in this system. >> It's not going to get done overnight. It's not done in one year, but we need to start. I know Craig has started, so I'm not I'm not saying it like he hasn't, but um we we got to chip away at this. I mean whether it's a stifening position, a coaching position or I mean the teachers or I'm getting off on a tangent, but those are all well defined but there's so many positions under this umbrella that um have never been defined and they need to be they
094will be and and Craig's done amazing job at everything else and he's I imagine he's working on it but I don't want to lose focus on it either. All right. Nothing else. >> Thank you. That wraps it up for tonight. So, we do not have executive session. I just need a motion to adjurnn. So, moved. >> Motion by Michael, second by Chris. All in favor? Unanimous. Thank you everybody. Good night.