001We know if any other committee members pop up. Um all right, we will call the meeting to order here at 8:05 a.m. Um no superintendent fail today. He is out on a personal um wave that will stop his wedding, which is great. Um we will the assistant superintendent report we figured out is the item also under old business. So we'll just jump down there first. Um, old business. We'll go to item B first. The review budget timeline document and committee coordination. Katie put a copy of the uh timeline within the folder. I also forwarded it all something that um was shared to us in the committee budget coordination committee um and put that in the folder as well. Um just like a a reference that's from 2018 one they've used in the past in case
002that is kind of helpful. But I think just kind of talking through the I don't know if folks have had a chance to kind of look through the fall and winter timelines for budget development. Um like framing or anything in particular you want to apply to this? >> Um I think the [clears throat] the framing would be um for the budget calendar. So the budget calendar of course is it in accordance with school committee policies. DBC which is the budget deadline and schedule >> and then DBD and budget planning. So in those school committee policies there's reference to the fact that we need to have a budget calendar which gives the community um an opportunity to see like the timing around our budget work. And so the framing of the the draft calendar which I
003think it is a draft very rough draft for now in the timing as we um experienced last year that the timing can be somewhat fluid. Um, and so I have typically organized it by the season, saying like during the summer, this is the work that will be completed. In the fall, this is the work specific to the budget process that will be completed. And there's references to many aspects of the budget. It's not just the budget development process, but the summer reflects that we are closing the budget from the previous fiscal year and opening the budget from this year. And that is helping frame the work that we're doing for FY27 budget development. Um, and the summer again is when we find out some pretty important news about our grants, our federal grants, which are
004entitlement grants. Um and that funding is very much um dependent on the federal budget and um what's happening at the federal level. So we always try to keep a very close eye on that um because that money specifically the special education grants fund a pretty significant part of um our expenses for or it helped to offset some of the costs that we see through the operating budget. In fall is when there's references to FY27 budget preparation. Um and then of course in the winter that work continues with more meetings with some of the um town departments and some other committees. And then spring of course is when um we are doing a lot of the work to make sure that we will um be closing FY26 and then also town meeting where um the budget
005will be voted for FY27. So right now the under spring 2026 it says FY26 but that should be 27. So I'll update that. And [snorts] then in addition to this, last year we also started um putting in a description of the meeting and the timing around when those meetings will occur, which I think is very helpful and I think it more aligns with the um schedule that you had put in the folder, the one that was shared from 2018 because it more references the existing meetings um whether it be a school committee meeting, could be a finance subcommittee meeting, and when those meetings will occur. Um, and so once we do find out the dates of some of the meetings, we can of course update either the um the grid that's attached to this draft
006calendar or we can put it right in the calendar whatever way fits best. So this also would go to sorry um so we have the you know John on a calendar that's looking out so this would be dropped in there already for the dates that we're looking at presentations or if they're not we can >> if they're not absolutely >> and so just to let you all know that um John and I met with um the town finance department heads. So, we met with Carla, um, Phoebe, the HR director, Amy Dexter, Joanne McCarthy, and Nick Milano, um, just to talk about kind of the timing, the process, just our initial conversations around FY127. We had that meeting earlier in the week. Um, and they are wonderful, really like helpful and collaborative, and they want to
007be able to support us through that process. Um, and so I'm sure that that was the first meeting of many. Um, but we did talk about and I know that um, the town administrator has also mentioned coming to either this meeting or another meeting and talking about like the revenue forecast for the town because that's a really important piece of our work, right, when we're creating the budget is just having um, the information to know what the revenue forecasts are looking like. Um, and so we talked about some of that, but very, it's kind of more at a preliminary level um, earlier in the week, and I would anticipate that we'll have follow-up meetings and on a pretty regular basis moving forward. >> Yeah, I think the thing that um, makes me think a couple
008things. So yeah, I forg the email from uh Milano um John around stick with him. Typically he we did or last year we did two meetings. We came in with a revenue forecast presentation somewhere in October and it might be in that very bottom table. Um uh yeah well it ended up being like 116 it looks like. And then we did expense forecasts were um you know in December um and so now we're trying to move that up and mix proposal maybe do those together. It seems earlier than maybe last year um obviously like to see if the override is [snorts] off the table for this year. So maybe that's why they get to us earlier. Um so that dates will share as October 12th. >> So when he does this this year it'll be
009a revenue forecast for FY27 >> and then an expense forecast. What what is an expense forecast? >> So the expense is like what they are anticipating there the town expenses to go up in terms of eating away at that revenue. uh because that part of the conversation is out of the revenue, what percentage goes to schools versus the town. Uh what are the things that the town doesn't have much control over regarding maybe health benefits being a primary driver last year? We anticipate being a primary driver this year. Um and so, you know, once that slice is kind of taken away, what is left? what percent increase does the town administrator envision each department getting? Um, and then you know where does that compare to kind of what we need for level service increase or
010is it going to need something less or really good and potentially something more for us or for other departments? That's where the black and white kind of math of exactly dollars in but it's like information on what they're basically thinking the pie will look like in terms of revenue and terms if yeah if we can get that in October that's great because that significantly impacts Katie's point our abilities like to have these conversations on there's no point having a conversation about adding a physician or even maintaining level service if their revenue forecasts are very dire and we need to be actually what cuts might look like versus what program enhancements we can look at. So, uh it was the 15th of October. Um, so yeah. So again, I assume Katie and John were getting like
011some of this in advance of that meeting, but I think that's usually helpful for this scale questions. A couple years ago, we did that with the finance subcommittee last year. Obviously, the new budget coordination committ questions asked, but this feels a bit redundant because he's probably gonna do that same presentation to the budget coordination committee. >> Yeah. >> But it probably just needs to be redundant because Amanda is not there that conversation this committee presenting. So >> and we won't have all the time we might want in that meeting to dig into school. >> Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. a question. >> Yes. And you talk about this a little bit. Have we seen any federal um grants yet or is this just the application process and then we wouldn't know about the federal funding until later?
012>> So earlier in the summer we weren't sure if we were going to receive the entitlements. Then um the federal government said yes, you will receive the entitlement. So we saw we were able to see what allegations that we were going to receive for all the federal grants. >> Okay. >> And so now it's it's kind of strange how they do it because they tell you what your entitlement is and then you have to apply for it. >> And so now we're going through the application process. I was in a meeting yesterday um with some other school business administrators and we were talking specifically about the school lunch program which is federally funded and um the contact that was there from department of education was telling us that there isn't a federal budget right now
013and that they're concerned about that because a lot of the funding for the national school lunch program is federally funded and so she was saying you know there are some concerns returns with our federal entitlement grants. Those will still be allocated to us. There will be no delays in receiving the money, but there may be some delays for Dece. And so those delays would then be passed down to each one of the um municipalities um within the government. And then the school lunch program also, I didn't realize this, but extends to um daycarees and other settings as well. So, I think we just all of that being said, I think we just have to be careful about kind of tracking because it seems as though during the summer we we weren't sure and then we
014received the entitlement and now it's kind of like a it feels like a little bit of a we're not sure about this other program um that has federal components to it which is school lunch. So, um we just have to keep on um keeping an eye on it. But I will say the one area that um concerns me just talking about 27 is the special education grant. So it's going to be um we receive about $1.3 million. That's our allocation in special education grant funding. So that obviously would have a really significant impact. That's about 1.5% of our overall budget. um >> concern about that one >> just in case. So if if they're saying, "Okay, yes, we were releasing these federal funds to you for this year." So that's for FY26, but then they
015turn around and say, "But we're discontinuing it for FY2." just one of the the um starts and stops of how that federal funding is looking then it would just be a concern because because it is over a million levels of pretty significant increase that we would have to incorporate into the budget. So it's just something that we just have to keep on tracking and >> and what's the timing of the timing of that next summer? Is that the spring? It's next summer. >> It will be next summer. Yeah. So unfortunately that time was chunky too. >> Yeah. [clears throat] >> And is there any just a there are grants that have been kind of you sort of are hearing like a stop start like allocated like >> pulled back out. >> So are we watch
016like is there a constant watching piece of it as well? And is that and is that is that where the school lunch program comes in allocated full? >> Okay. >> Right now school lunch program is part of so when the federal government goes into a shutdown um certain things shut down and certain things will continue. So funding for the military and certain components that you could just completely shut down. So funding for um ESSA and IDA which is our special education grants that is not impacted by a government shutdown. the N national. >> Um, okay. I had a question on when because again I think a lot of our internal stuff last year was as always is this kind of dependent upon getting that information from the town projections that control revenue. Um, where do
017you see, you know, if we have kind of a 10-in 15 meeting with the county administrator, where do you see kind of you and John >> first coming back with budget scenarios or priorities or like starting kind of a internal budget timeline? Like what are the you do you see the steps kind of being the same? It's just a very different obviously budget season than where we were last year for the multitude of reasons. So I hopefully this maybe more ideal scenario >> like what what do you see as kind of after we get that information you see as the steps in terms of what you all want to bring to us what feedback you need from us in that process get us through. >> So um we will start our budget work internally within
018the school department. So with the principles and the um department heads and directors we'll start that work soon. Um and then um we'll have meetings. So we already have meetings scheduled with the principles to talk about the budget and talk about what the needs will be. I know that John has said and I don't want to speak for him but just in supporting the work um just thinking about it almost as like a zerobased budget approach and looking at what do we have what do we know that we absolutely need and if there's any shifts that we can make and so I think that approach is somewhat new and it will take time for us to to talk about it and to go through that process um but that work will take place in October
019October and I think that will probably go into the early parts of November and then I believe our initial plan is to do an initial presentation to the full school committee um either at the end of November, so the second November meeting or the first meeting in December. So that would be kind of like that initial budget presentation. Um, and then that gives us the opportunity to have a few meetings to be able to talk about some of the changes that we could potentially make for some of the adjustments that that committee would like to see. And then um with the anticipation that we have a finalized budget that we could have um kind of voted approved and provided to the town by the end of January. um from u this committee's perspective obviously we
020like I think last year we did a there's kind of level service >> as the baseline we had one kind of meeting or presentation on that we looked at the space budget after that. So >> that's kind of a waste of time actually then cut back and then we did a cut budgets uh and looked at those scenarios after that. >> Um would the your thought given you're doing kind of a survey budgeting approach be really that kind of division doesn't make sense. really you're going to say here is the budget that we are kind of thinking about whether it's level service or slightly above based upon the revenue forecast or slightly below >> based on forecast that's that's kind of like one presentation we can provide feedback >> okay >> yes >> I think
021just knowing we know that the revenue although the revenue forecast can fluctuate a a little bit is not going to fluctuate. So I think just doing >> yeah I think [clears throat] um I know in talking to John he's talked about sort of like doing that zerobased >> as you're going through >> almost like I'm just going to give an example left column right column right left column is you know, here's what we need to here's the minimum that we need to >> do the school, then we add layer in and then if there are things that say people said, "Oh, we need but you know, to your point, well, if that comes in, something out, >> right? >> Is that I'm going to call it like a parking lot or a needs column." Is
022there would there be the opportunity to have sort of that um narrative to the budget to say, you know, here are some of the things that came in from a budget perspective. This is where we are. So we're not to your point >> voting or we're not there isn't a presentation around the needs but there's discussion about you know >> reality of the budget that this is you know this is what we have and this is what we're funding but here were some of the things that we weren't able to do. So I think it's just helpful to kind of >> have that understanding of it. >> Does that make sense? >> in the context. Yeah. And it's just more to say I think it's always I think it's always good to know sort of
023what was left behind. >> Absolutely. >> And it doesn't mean that there isn't a need for it and we're not presenting a needsbased budget, but it's good to know >> what the opportunity cost is. >> And we I know in previous budget cycles just because a need isn't funded doesn't mean that need goes away. And I think just continuously reminding >> Yeah. >> everyone of that. I know um some of the items that were on that needsbased budget were items that were on it for multiple years and so knowing that that truly is something that we but it just hasn't we haven't been able to fit it into the budget in the past. I do think going through a zerobased budget approach that we can look at that those needs and say like how can
024we incorporate that into the budget and are there areas that we can maybe shift either staffing levels or um some of the purchases that we're making so that we can still try to accomplish or um fund the needs that we have been talking about for so many years. So, I think hopeful [clears throat] that that will be a part of the process. And I think the work that we did over the summer um just in making sure that we you know this year we will we are only spending up to what the budget is has been allocated to us and some of the work that we did over the summer and looking at some of the positions that may have been open that we um left unfilled for this year. I think that helped us
025start that process of thinking about how the work is done and how positions are funded through the budget. And so I think all of that work that we started will just continue through this process. And so it will be helpful to be able to say like we know I know for me a focus area that um we'll talk about is transportation. like how can we or can we reallocate resources to be able to um make sure that we can provide transportation to more students. >> So I mean I think I think both those things are great. I think you're you're right that at some point having some you're right I guess that some point having some public conversation about >> what are the unmet needs is helpful for this >> clarity for like you go
026into in future years wanted this for a while we can so yeah that's great I do think that the conversation on priorities and even just you know even before we necessarily get a budget number just to say like what are the things y'all are looking at trying to accomplish from the priority perspective within this budget is it transportation is it something else classiz all kinds of different things like what what are the things y'all are seeing that you're trying to discuss I think having an initial conversation of >> hearing data from y'all feedback from the committee at large I think would be um helpful to castenic and I think your to your point you're able to have a conversation about like, okay, we've all kind of agreed the district said transportation was a priority. They
027wanted to kind of get through. Now, let's talk about like what is that tradeoff of >> when um like K use the example of transportation. Um I think sorry and I got my chat yesterday so I'm like a little foggy vlog today. Um I think so that families don't experience like yeartoyear >> whiplash on priorities like what I think would be unfortunate is if we said next year transportation's a priority fund >> what whatever the things are extra buses and other transportation and the following year it's like well now there's some other priorities so transportation is going to go back down I would like to again I'm not looking for like Uh, I'm not expecting us to make like a permanent commitment to something in perpetuity, >> but I think making a making trying to
028create this so it's a long-term financial commitment. >> Yes. >> And to to something and maybe a long-term financial commitment, not to something else so that we can create, >> you know, predictability in services year over year. >> Yeah. For families. And something that John has said that I think has really resonated with me because it kind of summarizes um some of how I was feeling too is it's not good to go from having like an A+ budget to an F budget. >> Yeah. you want to make sure that it's it's better to have like that B Budget, but knowing that you're going to have that B budget year over year over year because it provides that good um just kind of that sustainability, right? And and like you said, we want to make sure
029that the families kind of um know what to expect so they're not having these pretty significant impacts to their kids at the start of the year. So, I think that's that's really important. That's a huge part of like kind of blocking out three to five years. >> Um I think what I can do um work with Katie is kind of those as she mentioned the table kind of below >> update that slightly with some kind of maybe anticipated >> dates for some of these things. Obviously we have the information on the um not select board finance committee but the sound administrators um can talk quickly about the war committee coordination we'll see >> um and so I guess so Nathan I don't know but we reached out to the war care to [clears throat] get
030on the same page just around what the coordination will look like I think they're changing some things from the warrant committee side and some things they're trying to restrengthen in terms of like the use of subcommittees things like this. So I don't think we are 100% on the same page with them are like what they want and which is what >> right >> we are what we think would be helpful but my perspective the goal is like how do we educate them as much as possible in a way that is manageable and not um not feeling like 12 oneoff conversations and then say manageable especially for Katie and John who a lot of other things to do outside of that coordination. Um, so I, you know, it seems like, uh, Jay held to meet with
031John. >> I don't know if any of you have reached out to Jay. >> I was wait I I've spoken to Jay, so I was letting John. >> Okay. >> But I will circle back. >> I think I'm wondering if it would make sense um as this actual calendar gets populated like if we look out and just propose. I mean, so it's almost like let's if there's a way to take a step back and you look at it and say as we're adjusting this where do we see the timeline working and what do we see the presentations to the war committee looking like and then to that point then it would be um maybe it would be incumbent on Jay to then look at this and say okay that would be I if I have
032a subcommittee or a WC rep or something like that versus a fuller committee presentation. So I think you know what I mean like almost like present our planning schedule and then see where it makes sense for them to do fit out because I don't know that there's a lot of extra meetings that we need to have and then maybe looking at that it gives them the opportunity to say well could we add in extra you know like a meeting and such and such a to kick it off because then we also have our the meeting schedule for finance subcommittee meetings if there's more details >> that they need or feel like they want to get up to speed or we'll watch these but that might be a way to just use a framework conversation with
033J to see you know what are we missing Yeah, I I think we Yeah, I mean I'm happy to share, you know, the idea of us in October >> to present to them on the budget like we did last year since I think we can reshare what presentation we did last year. That was one thing I wanted to um see if we can pull up today and just talk about starting to find the presentation we did last year budget process. But I think aligning on like what that is to send to them an advanced fee rate. Y >> I just >> seem I don't know if this is because from the select board side select board never goes to the warrant committee from what I've seen the last two years but it's always the town
034administrator. >> Yes. >> The select board members never attend they never defend a warrant article. They never form the warrant committee article. It's always the town administrator regardless of the article. And so I don't know if that's Jay's perspective of why he's going through the superintendent and it's like thinking something similar in terms of the superintendent's role similar to the town administrator. I don't want to get in the way of what we as a committee think is effective. Obviously I drove a lot more of that last year. I'm happy to do that if that is helpful. If it is actually more helpful for you and John to work directly with the war committee, I guess we can do that. I'm just worried about the burden that puts on you and John. Um just another thing
035kind of within this and so I just want to make sure we or again it's the chair it seems like he's also reaching out directly from chair to chair >> right >> which again is maybe his prerogative and I'm I'm not trying to like say it needs to go through me at all but I don't want to be mindful you do a lot of other things as chair of the school committee so I think I just love sense of where does the committee see like who is owning kind of working pushing this through with the because I think I'm seeing it as my role as finance chair. And Jay clearly does not see that as my role right now. And so I don't know if that's something that's okay or that we want to actually
036kind of reframe and say this is how as a school committee we'd like you to work with. >> Right. >> The only thing I can think is that you know if there are places where and I'm I can't think of an example off the top of my head but the majority of the work for the school committee that goes in front of the war committee has to do with budget. >> Yeah. But there are things that aren't that there are things that we weigh in on in which case I would be involved and John be involved. So I don't know if he's thinking of sort of the global relationship piece and then from within that okay if we are discussing finance and presenting the budget um you know similar to the way that you and
037Lizzie did it last year that you and I would go before them. I think that that piece would be important. So I think it's it has to maybe do with with the relationship as a whole as opposed to necessarily specific to just finance and that might be why that piece is and then that's just easy to say you know as we're coming in and we're doing a presentation you know Mark would be involved if it had to do with the school build say there's something that as a committee we're voting on support of something within the um school budget committee then again what V2 would be. Do you know what I mean? Like I think it's then just recognizing that maybe there's more outside the scope of finance that would would um drive the relationship
038with the war committee. So maybe it's just setting that stage. Um but from there I do agree that it's you know coming in and doing that presentation. Um and then if you know I think it's ideal you know it's sort of two presentations. one the one that we do sort of that overview that great 101 you did and maybe there's something we're adding to it. >> I think John had the perspective on that things that might be helpful and then coming in again and presenting the budget. I think the one thing um Mark that you do see with the other committee so that the select board doesn't go in because I think while they're there their warrants they're the ones putting in the warrants you did see >> they would have like in the past
039um Chief Kenya has gone in spoken to the warrant committee you've seen the fire department go in the you know some of those cases some of the bigger portions of the >> staff staff within that um >> but yeah I've never seen the select board go in unless there unless there were sort of more um a couple of years ago swap I feel like we they came in I think ones that are sort of >> more complicated and involved and not necessarily um committee specific >> yeah I don't have again I'm happy for them to do whatever they want I just was flagging that as I didn't know if that was the lens in which Jay was viewing it again like the police chief and so they want to talk to the police chief and
040so they want to talk to the superintendent they don't want to talk to us >> right >> the committee side >> maybe we're fine with that y'all are fine with that I just >> I worry generally about the burden that we place on the department staff >> all this process I I generally our role is like trying to take some of that off >> I agree about, you know, public kind of board support. So, >> I think if we have a meeting and just hear maybe if there's a piece of that that we're missing or if it's just confirming that with both of us that we meet with Jay. But I agree. I I do agree. I think, you know, it's it's getting a sense. I think he's trying to just maybe acknowledge and see
041how John wants to work together. Um, but then I do think it's us coming in doing that work, presenting the work, answering the questions, having the meetings obviously with you guys in so let me just I'll reach back out to Jay and I'll just um check in with John first to make sure that check his schedule and just toss it up and then we'll circle back and so I don't know because I think they're still I'm not I think I think they've determined their structure for the finance subcommittee where there's not really for the finance representation school committee's finance representation more committee but um I think just getting clarity how that um you help me find the warrant the presentation we did to the warrant committee last not crazy right >> at the beginning beginning
042yeah before the budget not the budget So, did that answer that? >> Yes. No, no, that's fine. >> I just want to make sure I Yeah, I hear what you're saying. >> I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be dismissive. I think that's that's that's fine. I just I don't want to step on >> anything. I I don't want to step on toes, but I also want to >> do what I think the committee is needing the chair finance committee to do. And so, just like whatever that role is, right, >> tell me because it seems like again that might be shifting a bit in terms of what the war committee chair wants to do. And so, again, I'm not I won't take away strong feelings just make sure. So I believe last year the when
043we went um to the warrant committee meeting the initial meeting which I believe was in October >> we shared the budget calendar the budget FAQ >> and then Peter spoke to pieces of the implementation plan and so I don't know that we do like >> slides >> um but I'm sure that I had sent those documents so if you want I can just put those in the folder for today's meeting once I find what we had originally shared. >> Yeah. >> Would that be helpful? >> Yeah, I I think so. I can also go find the recording of that meeting too. Last year I just reamiliarized myself with what we did. But I think and again request Jay had which is a good one is just what would be the agenda of what are we
044trying to present? You're right though. >> So I want us to align on that but I think you're right. The calendar was one. the calendar and at least the budget FAQs. Those were the two um documents that I shared that we shared the board and committee and then I know Peter talked about kind of the some of the steps through the implementation plan but I don't know if there was a document that we shared with that. Mhm. >> Um would there be other parts of like how the budget works similar to kind of some of the umformational sessions you provided to us last year that we should do around >> yeah special circuit transportation? Um I think when I think of the list of questions that we had gotten about the budget kind of later
045in the process later in the the year um I say last year it was actually probably this year in March um it was um in thinking about that list of questions I wonder if it would be more helpful to go to a meeting and just kind of give a broad overview about school finance. Maybe not the FAQs, but more of like how does special education funding work, how does school pretty much like school finance, how does that work, you know, the pieces of the school budget, I believe, I'm not sure how familiar the members are. So we could try to do more a high level >> and then um and then of course if there are certain programmatic questions then John um and Carla if Carla were to attend the meeting speak to the questions
046as well. >> Yeah. I just think the because some of the things that came even sort of I guess it's in the vein of the FAQ but like when you first come in like what's a revolving fund you know what you know >> what's the general fund sort of even the things that we just talk about like how's that funded versus how are funds funded >> versus you know because I think you see all of those things I think if there are kind of big big buckets >> of that I think that piece is helpful because someone first came to community schools is do you know what I mean? So I think it's helpful, but then looking I think looking at the FAQs that came out and figure out if there's a way to kind
047of like roll some of those up into sort of broader topics and then to your and then your we get into questions if it's our budget. I think it'd be helpful if we again are able to like put together a pretty clear agenda of what we're going to cover and share that with the war committee can provide any feedback right whatever process they have say hey we'd like to learn more about X or Y >> I think we could do that >> right >> yeah just depends on um another one I think again if you do have a presentation that kind of covered all this [clears throat] to us. This is the level service versus level budget. >> Yes. >> So yeah, I think all that previously shared just we don't have slides share agenda.
048>> Sure to get back. I think the other thing that was might be helpful but um and we could pick out the pieces around but I think on the MAFC side there's a really helpful example of sort of role of the school committee versus role of the administration and I think it helps to kind of do that and I don't know if there's maybe that's something we work with J just say then here's the role the warrant committee within this. So sort of like if if there and maybe I think he's done a little bit of that but I do even if we pulled out that piece that if we had clarity around like okay this is what this what the you know what the administration does this is the school committee's role within this
049and it could be could pull out the ones around you know around budget around because I think sometimes there's some confusion around >> what our role is within that people in peace management might be helpful as we as we flush it out. See if that fits. Thoughts on what we should Okay. Will we able to clean up the FAQ documents we last year just so long some were very specific to last year that >> so I believe that there is kind of an updated document and I don't want to >> I'll have to double check I believe that there was kind of a I don't want to say paired down but we had taken those really specific questions to the override >> and reshared that on the budget web page. Um, so I can double
050check and see if it's there, but I know Stephanie um was going to post it there. And if we haven't post it, we can we can post it there. It's very specific to Um any other Okay. So, just to kind of close loop on what we're doing there, the draft calendar, I'll work on updating that slightly. The table part at least is fun. currently have and I'll share that with y'all for feedback. Talk about that for the next meeting. Thank you. K you'll double check that. So that's already done. You can share that before and then um you will put together kind of an agenda for the presentation [clears throat] to us probably given well we're trying to meet with in October maybe. Sorry. Um, so I'm just wondering from a timeline, we're not meeting
051again until October 1st. Um, maybe we might actually want feedback from the committee before our October first meeting discuss that. >> Yeah. >> So, is it possible we can put an agenda together in the next week and then share that? Katie, you can share that around if anybody has feedback directly Katie for updates with J. >> Sorry, Mark. You want to try to do this for town meeting? >> No, I Well, I'm hoping we can given we don't meet for two weeks, at least get kind of a sense of what the agenda should be for the presentation for the war committee and share that with the war committee um to see if if were able to get feedback for the first to help guide our conversation for the first. I think more committee shared they
052wanted they're at this point wrapping up their work around the one articles for fall town meeting. So they're not ready for us yet and Jay has said October would be great. So be wrapped up here in two weeks with words comments on the one done by September October. >> So pulling together an agenda for the warrant committee meeting. Yeah. So that we can review so we can share it with them and get feedback from John. I mean from Jay >> or maybe. Yeah. That's that's I guess my proposal event. Yeah, >> feels right because otherwise we're not setting it until the first and then we're not getting feedback and discussing the feedback until the 15th. >> Makes sense. Or we can see we see that point a time in which we would need to meet
053more. You know, I know we met a lot because it had to do with the budget, but then looking at >> Yeah, they're meeting up. >> They were meeting weekly doing things or is there a time that we would want to do it? I think that it's beneficial. [clears throat] >> My thought is if we think we aren't having enough time to discuss the things and provide want to meet more frequently that's like why we andor that there's something urgent that we want to like be consistent. I don't know what meeting on a weekly basis what we'd be getting Katie what Katie and J would be benefiting from in terms of like feedback from us >> at this point. >> I could see like once they bring in their budget priorities like oh maybe we
054actually want to meet another time to have a little bit more in depth conversation about those things for the next group committee meeting >> but we can decide that as we go along. >> Yeah. Okay. I just wanted Yeah, their timeline is also I mean they complete the budget by December >> 7 budget like timeline >> and by um is that committee finishes the budget by >> school committee votes on FY18 full budget proposal Do we know if that's what actually happened in I I don't know >> this is just what >> the detailed planning process >> I don't know if they actually >> was that that may have been um I don't know if that was overhead >> it does say contingent non-contingent >> and and of course so it's we're usually working backwards
055from one town meeting is scheduled too. So >> yeah, >> depending on when that >> I think town meeting is actually a week earlier maybe this year. So um yeah this >> yeah I don't I mean I just don't from an internal standpoint of like talking to all principles and seeing how things are going and assessing kind of what you want to make for next year >> doing all that in August. Um, anything else on kind of the budget timeline? >> I guess the other >> Oh, um, we did get an >> Sure. Yeah, we can vote on >> No, we would just we could just >> That's great. Yeah, we did have the budget coordination committee this meeting. Friday after school. That's the given. Yes. Um yeah. So I think just leave here tonight
056but talks just on like what is the purpose of the convenience? What is the purpose to accomplish work in progress? >> Yeah. some discussion like line item assessments time a lot of discussion like five planning just great um and good race you know right now we're in budget season because it's a sh committee to share information as opposed to decision making that's so that everybody has the same information at the same time. >> Yeah. >> Correct. >> Yeah. And that was some of the conversation around like it's going to feel a little bit redundant presented. I don't know if we'll present it before or after he presents it to us here, but >> yeah. Uh great else [snorts] on budget coordination. All right. Um we are close to time here. Um finance report structure. I
057just wanted to kind of close this out. I think we got a generally good conversation on this. U my my recollection of where we landed is the kind of cost center uh reports is one that is easily doable kind of from the financial system. It aligns with reporting and the way in which calls out things. But then in addition to that the committee kind of identifying particular areas in which we would like more information on and that top level memo additional detail outside standard report. That's something we can buy on an annual potentially quarterly basis that just communicate that advance job. >> Yeah. I mean I think anything where there's variance of county >> and then yeah [clears throat] >> are you referring to kind of like just special topics of interest that we might
058want to go deeper on talking about budget driven >> well I think I think your point is a good one on yeah any significant variance [clears throat] will bring to our attention I in my opinion like this year given our concerns sort of the issues around the um special education line items last year that on the quart basis within those kind of budgets that we looked at that level of detail a little bit more detail in those areas and what is a big cost center provided to us previously and just essentially those same like areas that were big budget drivers last year within current years context It's like they get updates on those within the core of the reports to see how they're tracking the current year saying our updated budget forecast. >> I think
059maybe even if there are areas where there were two pain points last year and there were maybe things that [laughter] from process standpoint. I mean, I wasn't wasn't in place or wasn't this isn't as throwing any anybody under a bus, but maybe wasn't followed or like say there was a procedure or process that sort of >> became lax and that now is sort of reinstituted that helps to ensure that those things aren't coming in later that you didn't know that there was such and such because there was no PO or no memo done or anything. So, um I guess if there are things that you have seen or you and John have seen that you've changed or instituted that then show how an area that you that had been in deficit last year or there
060are challenges things have been put in place to address. >> So you have kind of better overview or insight that helpful. Maybe I know there was a little like POS being done etc. But are there other areas maybe around you know like maybe sort of the stipen piece or like oh that was a little bit of surprise but if there are things that you've learned since then that then show how we might not be in that in that situation too. Does that make sense? But if there are things like that that could be brought forward as well. Oh we discovered this here to be put in place. Um, I think that might be helpful. >> We can I don't know if it would make sense to kind of reference that in the memo section too
061>> because I think the difficult piece is some of that wasn't necessarily reflected in the financial report and that's why it was like >> Yeah. >> Well, it like it I don't want to say it came as a surprise, but it was how did we not know about it? Right. >> Yes. And so, um, I think just being able to provide contextual and saying like we know that we will have this expense, it's not necessarily reflected in this report, but we anticipate that we can see shifts in these specific areas in the future. >> I don't know if that would be helpful. And then, yeah, >> I think first quarter it's difficult because it is so early in the year. Um but of course if there's any changes or kind of shifts to the information
062that we need to provide then we can always look at that. Second quarter is a little bit better because we have even more information and then of course the third quarter is really important because it then we start projecting out what the balance is going to be then. So, can you always try to shift and provide more or less information depending on how the report structure is working? >> It's a fair way of kind of summarizing that it's like budget process improvements were highlighting. >> Yeah. >> Wants to share. >> Yeah. Yeah. Uh >> that makes sense to you if there are things [clears throat] that are >> highlights. Yeah, >> definitely. >> Okay. >> Yeah. I think even just around KD department is doing as a whole around this. Yeah. Not situation. Um so
063the three things I have in addition to kind of standard line item variance of concern budget process improvements learnings prior order and then targeted areas of concern as identified by this committee was putting the special education lines coverage lines. >> Isn't there also like extra duties. Alignment on that. Um uh moving on to new business discussion of revolving accounts. Uh we don't have John here today be part of that. Is that something that we this kind of gets into um next meeting agenda items. So I'll just say we'll defer that for now. Uh budget coordination committee reports that out of order that apologies for the down there. Um we have no vote on meeting minutes uh discussion. Next uh meeting date and agenda. So again our next meeting is 101. It's it's an issue and
064agenda items. We hope to um review budget calendar um view warrant committee presentation agenda feedback. >> Sorry, just to confirm is there school that day? The building's open. I didn't know I can't tell. >> Second. Second. >> No, this um the second is now >> wait. No, we're talking about the first >> we are. Okay. >> Sorry. [clears throat] >> Um question. There is there is a date to >> the second. >> It's it's the next day. >> Is the second. >> Uh all right. Um so we'll uh hopefully be able to talk about the warb presentation uh team will have an administrator. I will confirm with them that we're all set. Um do we think we'll have time um to discuss kind of the revolving accounts on 101 there? Maybe y'all would bring to
065us kind of discussions around like and probably not. Okay. >> I don't I think that that will probably require more. Okay. >> So, I would almost [snorts] um do we have that meeting about next week? >> October, right? >> Yeah. No problem. 29. Yeah, >> 20 then. All right, then we'll move down to um Is there a motion to adjourn? Second. Uh, all in favor is adjourned at 907. Thanks everybody. Thank you.