CorpusRecord 256113

NBGSD Board Meeting - November 12, 2025

A searchable transcript preserved as part of the Discourse Corpus. Passage numbers provide stable references within this record; verify quotations against the original recording when available.

Source
YouTube / Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union
Date
2025-11-14
Location
Bennington County, VT
Material
Transcript
Extent
5,056 words · about 29 min
Collected
2026-07-03

Transcript

Verbatim source text

001Okay, we're all set. >> Okay. Um 6:31 we'll open the meet this meeting of the North Pennington graded school district credential committee for November 12th, 2025. and I'll look for public comments, but I see no one to offer them. So, we'll skip to the finance report. Okay. Um, so everybody has the treasures report. Um, again, nothing out of the ordinary there. Um, we're good on cash flow for the time being. um and we will be fine. Um to tie into tax collection, um that process, tax day was Monday. Um so now it's a matter of getting the last minute things processed. I have the preliminary cash flow for the uh graded school district and the Mount Anthony Union High School um from the state. So, those checks will get cut um most likely end of

002next week, beginning of the week of Thanksgiving. Um I want to get them in before the holiday just because then the holiday pushes over to December. Um so, just for records and bookkeeping and things, if I get them in at the end of this month, then it's going to be a little cleaner. Um so, my plan is to get that done prior to Thanksgiving. Um, as we started last year, the village of North Bennington is going to pay both of those out in full. Um, I'll have my last minute calculations to make sure that that's still going to be fine. I don't have any reason to think that it won't be. So, that'll be just like it was. And then the village retains um the collection for the delinquencies. And then at the end of

003the year, I think it was March or April this year, uh, the state does the final calculations. And for as long as I've been doing it, and I believe Mary said for as long as she was doing it, there's always an overpayment and then it comes back, it goes back to the village. Um, just based on how the state does their calculations at year end versus the preliminary stuff. Um, those items there. Um, Rey received a check for a donation from an estate of a resident. Um, I have that check. I'm going to quickly chat with Renee in the next day or two. Um, when I stop in to sign checks just to verify my thoughts on what we should do with it. Um, which ties into my next statement. We are in the process

004of the RFP for banking services. Um, final proposals. Did we put Friday, Renee, or Monday? I couldn't remember. Friday. Um, so Friday, final proposals are due. Um, questions were due by October 31st. We had two institutions that had some additional questions which were very straightforward. Um, so Renee and I were able to get those uh get the items answered and to them that they needed. So, um, we anticipate at least three institutions submitting proposals, um, that we know of, the two that had questions and one other one that let us know that they were going to send a proposal over. So, um, that'll be good. We'll have three to compare and figure out what's going to be best moving forward. Um, that is pretty much all I have right now. Um unless anybody has any

005other questions. >> Uh the check that you have just for um recordkeeping purposes like it's the board's responsibility to accept any donation. So we would just want the minutes to reflect that after the board discusses it of course and then of we can talk about it tomorrow or whenever if the board has accepted it and we can then deposit. >> Okay. Um, so yeah. So I know it was discussed at a prior meeting. I just don't think Ry had the final amount. Um, so do you just need that final amount or can we pull the Does it need to be the exact amount in the minutes? Renee, >> I think that would be good for Lori to have. Yeah. So then the auditors, you know, look at it. >> Yep. They >> I do have

006that here on my desk somewhere. So I will grab that and then I will jump back in. Um, I have many piles going on right now with taxes, but I do know that I have that checked somewhere here. >> 9700 and something something something. >> Here it is. Let's see. I'll tell you the exact amount and then if we need the formal vote, we can have it and then go from there. Um, okay. So, from the estate of Joan Zageda, Za Ga Ta, and I apologize if I'm pronouncing that incorrectly, the total donated amount is $9,73022. Um, and there was no restriction um that was given to Ry on these funds. >> No, not restricted. another [clears throat] perfect thing to note in the minutes. So, thank you for that. [laughter] >> Yep. >> so

007do you need a vote to accept it then? >> I guess we do. I wouldn't have thought of it, but that makes sense. >> So, move. >> I'll second it. All in favor? Any discussion? Pieran, do you have anything to say? >> No. >> Okay. All in favor of accepting the donation from the estate of Jones Sagata in the amount of 9,700 >> uh sorry 34 >> $3022 $30 973022 >> I gan >> I All right. Thank you. So, we have accepted this donation and uh Doug will figure out where to put it. >> Uh I don't you know we have one fund which is was established with money from um >> Terry Eric. Terry Eric Terry >> Eric. Yep. >> Yep. Uh, I don't you know, are you going to establish a separate phone

008for this? >> Well, that's what I'm going to chat with Renee about. Um, under normal circumstances, I probably would have just thrown it into another CD to to earn highest rate of interest. Um, but given what else is going on right now, um, we may just put it into the current money market, earmark that dollar amount, and then once we decide where we're going to land with everything, we can make that choice at that time. Um, because I'd hate to have one account tied up when we're trying to transition things over. Um, so for a short period of time, I don't think it's going to be a big deal. and given the the small dollar amount to put it in um to the money market for for a holding period um while we get things

009maneuvered, especially since it's unrestricted. If it was restricted, it'd be a whole different conversation. Um but with it being unrestricted um we'll we'll figure out the best route for shortterm and then long term. >> Yeah. And I mean we can certainly set up a separate fund to isolate the money and then you can do whatever you want in terms of >> right for for record keeping. Exactly. Yep. >> Okay. All right. Well, as I think I said the last time, we're going to leave it in your hands. You and Renee are going to figure it out. So, thank you. >> Yep. All right. I'm gonna jump off and process more taxes. >> Okay. Thank you, Doug, for your being here and explaining and prompting us to do the >> No problem. Have a good evening,

010everybody. >> Thank you. >> Good night. >> Uh, the next item on the agenda is consent agenda. Agenda has >> right here. Consent agenda has the minutes for the October 8th, 2025 meeting and also a warrant for $22,816. So, why don't we approve the minutes first? I'll make a motion that we approve the minutes for October 8th. >> I'll second that. >> Thank you. Are there any questions or observations, comments on those minutes? Seeing none offered, I call the question. Are we all? Well, we need a second, right? >> Did we second? Yes, >> I second. >> Okay. Sorry. I I I put it I was the first. Okay, that's so uh yes and all in favor. Yes. >> I >> that's and I am in favor of unanimous warrants. Okay, I'll just review the

011warrants. the warrant typically there's payroll warrant which uh pays the treasurer Doug Muji and then pays the stipens to Karen and myself and Matthew um and >> and Lonnie >> and money the ponte disordered uh plus the f associated payroll taxes because it's treated as a payroll item by the finest department. >> Yeah. >> Okay. And so um so that's that account for those payroll items account for $6,431. And the main de of the warrants pays Catamount access television $300. Is that a monthly fee? I don't remember. I think it is. >> It depends on how many meetings there are. I can actually look it up to see how many meetings were covered under that. I think it's that's not just one. There's a few on there, >> but um we only have one meeting.

012>> I think this is the first payment though, so it could be July, August. >> Okay. >> September, October. >> That's for $300. Uh payment to Lori LOL for meeting minutes for October 8th. That's $50. Then we have some u monies going to the southwest Vermont Supervisory Union for administrative services, audit, early education program, financial services, HR administration, sped administration, and tech administration, which total $49,8046. And then the largest sum is tuition to the village school for 78 students $146,95429. Total of that warrant is 196 384.75. Okay. So warrants um just are as described. Um I make a motion that we uh we uh that we pay the warrants. >> So moved. >> Thank you, Matthew. Um and uh any comments or questions? Anybody else? Okay, I call the question. All in favor of paying

013the warrants. I >> I >> That's all of us. Thank you. >> And your CAT TV bill was for a quarter. A whole quarter. >> Thank you. That makes sense. Three months or something. So um we having done the consent agenda policies there are none listed superintendence report >> I actually do have some >> oh my goodness >> um >> so superintendent Payne um asked me to share with you all that the SVSU meeting uh next week, which is going to be bumped up a week ahead of time uh because of the Thanksgiving holiday later this month, um will be the quote unquote official kickoff of budget season. So, he will open a budget review and discussions um at that SVSU meeting. Um and then of course with this uh credential committee and then all

014of our other boards too will be deep into it December and January. Um he also asked me to let everybody know that um on the SVSU website actually I I share folks at home are interested in seeing where all of this information is on the SPS. VSU website. If you go to departments and superintendent office, >> um this is where he is keeping um the reports that have been presented by various departments. >> Okay. >> Um at board meetings uh starting you know this fiscal year. Um the goals are here for both u the SVSU and Superintendent Payne. >> Okay. And then um we have developed a a school funding road map which is just a a a visual that he put together to try to help the public understand and explain um how voting

015on a budget actually turns into your tax bill that you receive at home. So that's there for people to to take a look at. Um and then also on the website we have an act 73 information tab. >> Okay. >> So we have the text of um of the legislation and then over here some other uh information. So this this will continue to evolve as more and more comes out through the upcoming legislative session. But just want folks to know that that these resources are here on [clears throat] on the SVSU website. >> Okay. >> So those are there. Um he also wanted me to share that uh there are two audits currently underway. Um we have retained uh services of the Vermont School Board Association to be reviewing our policies. Um so they are

016going through that and then um we also retained Dr. Megan Roy to do an evaluation of our special education >> student services >> yeah student services programming. So he will be sharing out um the results of those audits um in the coming weeks and months. >> Okay. >> And then finally he will eventually when he's available to get to here he's in in Arlington right now. Yeah. >> Um he would like to come and introduce our new interim assistant superintendent, Beth Forge. >> Okay. Um, [clears throat] I requested I sent a request to uh Superintendent Payne and to Scott McCannanny, the chair of the SDSU that we have an item on the agenda for the SCSU meeting to talk about whether the SU would like to submit a comment to the act 73 website or

017whatever where the comments go about that. So we would we would u like to remain as an as as a supervisory union [clears throat] under a supervisory union settlement where supervisory union provides services and their individual districts and boards. >> Okay. I sent that to them and I've received absolutely no comment yet. So I will talk to them I'll try to talk to both of them in the next day or so because uh from my perspective that's important for our district and for Sangate since we are nonoperating districts. Therefore, allow students to have choice of programs that are acceptable to the state and we wish to continue doing that, don't we? Which leads me to a question for the board. You're done with your report, right? >> I am. >> Okay. Um, so on act

01873, last month I talked about whether this board should u make its own preferences known uh and put them in the record for this act 73 commission on redistricting. And um so I would um I guess we could have a discussion or we could say that's what we want to do and and I guess I would work on a draft to submit um crickets. Matthew, >> what do you want? I don't know. [clears throat] >> You don't know what? >> I don't know what you want. Well, from as far as I know, the the easiest way for our district to maintain a choice program is to be part of a supervisory unit because then we would maintain a board. Now, it's possible that if if and it's possible if this became a supervisory district as

019part of a district change, a much larger district, which most likely would include us in our neighbors to the north in Manchester, um it's possible that they would maintain find a way to deal with choice as a policy in the district, not as a as a governance situation as determined by the governance of the board. Um but um it also seems more difficult to do it that way. They they obviously will have to be allowing for Bird Burton and Long Trail to continue as their primary secondary institutions at the high school level. Uh but they I'm just saying that if that's that's what ends up happening, we end up in a an amalgamated district which has been proposed in certain cases on certain maps together. then it [clears throat] it'll make it more difficult for

020us to m maintain the system we have of choice for our students at prek6 level >> have we not made it very clear and does not everybody in the room of concern understand what our preference is. In what room? This room? Yes, we understand that. In this room, yes. >> No, I mean the room of decision makers. >> Uh, I don't know that they know that. >> Okay. >> I mean, certain people know it, you know, like our our senator, state senators know it >> and have been trying to look out for that. But this uh I listened to the not the final meeting of the redistricting committee and but they did make a decision in that meeting on Monday to forward one plan to the state and it is not a map. It is

021a plan >> which is um does not meet the conditions that were set upon him. Basically, Zilly Saunders came and spoke and said exactly that [clears throat] because it is not a map. It is a proposal for u constructing larger districts that utilize a [clears throat] cooperative services. Uh setup to take care of certain issues that we we have difficulty with now in terms of uh special education children who need services we can't provide within the district. That's uh and uh other things that a board of cooperative educational services the Boseies would do as defined under now under Vermont state law from couple sessions back what do you know you know the number of that the Bosey's bill I don't but it doesn't mean that [clears throat] any rate >> ray Where did you get

022that most recent? There was a meeting this week. >> Monday. I >> I audited a fair amount of it. Um and I've gone back and listened to the parts that I missed because I went out for various reasons. Um and um uh it appeared that the committee itself took Zoe Saunders remarks to be a very strong critique of what they were doing, but they continued to do it. Uh and they they had two proposals really on the table. One was uh a redistricting state redist redistricting according to a um CTE locations and uh that one also deliberately preserved um choice districts or at least some choice districts um where they're where they actually had choices to and uh the committee uh voted on that one and it did not win favor. The other was the

023proposal to construct this system that would entail as as a way of helping smaller schools out and schools. Even this district, this this SU has issues with um in its various districts with students who needs uh special education services that cannot be provided locally. And uh one of one of the items on the agenda for Boseis is to to help with special education in in a number of different ways beyond uh being a site for those students to be given services. uh also there would be training and uh professional development and there are some other things which I don't remember they also conceived of it as a way of possibly improving CTE ultimately but it's a very complicated proposal 150 pages long and um it has almost no infrastructure for Boseis yet in the states

024if it's a it's a pro it's a big project in addition to the redistricting challenge so who knows what's going to happen to that when it gets to the legislature um and uh the authors of the proposal uh take a disfavorable view toward tuitioning districts. >> Where can one listen to this or see it? >> I could send you the link >> is it through >> this moment? >> Is it through the state? Uh >> no it's it's to Orca which is I guess the Waterberry area or maybe they Monty or Waterberry. >> They doesn't the redistricting have their own website where they're posting their meetings or >> Yes, but the the actual uh video of it is on Oregon and [clears throat] I can send the link. >> Please please do. I'd like to

025send that. at any rate. >> And yes, I I think a letter now that I understand um what's going on here, but we need to send something somewhere. >> The I will say this. I will ask our senator Seth Seth Bonds uh whether he agrees with that idea before I go sending it off. >> It's a good move. >> Yeah. And I I did send him a query as to what he thought of what the committee did on Monday, but I haven't heard any response to it. imagine he's not that happy about it. Um yeah, I didn't think certainly Scott Beck wasn't happy about it and u the u there was another person that was working with him on it and both of those guys were voted for it and one other person on the

026committee that left a deficit before they could even get to 50/50. So, I don't have much more to say about it because I am at a knowledge deficit about all these proposals. I have only heard what I listen to and there's 150 pages for me to look at and I haven't gotten to that. Um, so I will draft something and uh send it to all of you and I will send it to Seth and see if he thinks it's a good idea to send it and then if it is, I will send it. >> Thank you. As always, >> the second item on our chair's agenda is census, but I don't think we have anything to talk about there. I think there's I haven't seen any changes in the numbers that we talked about last

027month which is that there are 59 students going to uh elementary schools other than the village school and there's 78 at the village school. So that tells us the K6 number or roughly. Yeah, we don't know the weights of these pupils yet, but >> that's the ADM that we know. And then there's the the preK component which I I haven't seen any data on that yet. They usually publish it, but >> yeah, the collection ADM collection closes the end of this week and then they'll start sending their drafts back to us to confirm. >> Right. >> Um my understanding is that they are going to try diligently to meet statutory requirement this year and have it done and frozen by mid December. >> Oh my goodness. >> [laughter] >> Well, that's never happened before. So,

028why why would it have to now? >> Well, and they're they're still underst staffed, >> correct? >> Yes. And it hasn't gotten any support. No, >> has it? >> No. >> Okay. So, so we don't expect it before January really to be further. >> Exactly. >> Hey, that's that's it for the census. Um, I had an item suggesting we adjust the board stipens since we have uh $4,000 in the stipen line items and we distributed 3,200 of it. Of course, there is additional taxes that show up in our budget in our budget expense for because of the deductions from the employer side of the FICO deductions. Um, however, it it just seemed to me we I I normally think of that as just a fixed amount that gets distributed completely, but because we've been short

029of emperor for two uh two cycles really of votes, um I thought maybe we could just distribute the whole and And of course I have to make it more complicated and say, "Hey, by the way, >> what's this? You said you said I couldn't do it on my own site." Well, that's what he said. >> Okay. You said bring it up and that's that's why I bring it up. I can't just apparently I can't just say adjust the stipens to distribute the whole equally among the board that exists. Uh so the question is does is there agreement or you don't care what >> so essentially that the public doesn't vote on on your stipens directly. It's indirectly because it's budgeted five at $800 each since there's only four of you. We could do $1,000 each,

030but I just wanted to have some type of documentation saying that it was discussed and the committee either approved it or didn't. And then we can process that. >> This is probably a good thing for the audit, too. Yes. So, >> I don't have any strong feelings about it. I'm I'm I'm uh I'm fine with with the remainder going back into the budget. I don't know if >> Kieran, who else we have here tonight? >> Me. Karen and me. That's it. >> I'm indifferent. >> You're indifferent. Okay. So, I I would say we leave it the way it is. >> Yeah. >> And we'll talk about it when we make the budget for next year. >> Okay. >> Although, of course, we we may, you know, we may get lucky and find someone to fill

031our vacancy. >> That'd be nice. >> Yeah. All right. So, moving on to the special education budget. So, I Can I go back to that point? >> Sure. >> This is my original thought on this is that um >> so what's on the table? An extra $1,000? >> No, it's $800 on the table. So that really does need to go to Ry and I would like to Ry does does 10 times actually does 99% of the work on this board and as if we have that empty spot I think I would just like to him for him to get that extra money. >> I'm good with that. You make our lives easier, Ray. >> Yeah, I'm trying to. [laughter] >> Well, I appreciate that. >> Can we vote on that? That >> sure >> the

032remaining $800 available uh goes to the chair of the board. Okay, that's the proposal. >> That's a motion. >> And Kieran and seconded. >> All right, so I guess we're going to vote. You guys, I'll call the vote. >> All in favor? >> I >> Okay, I'm going to abstain, but it passes, right? >> Very good. And and Matt, just so you know, this isn't out of the ordinary because with other boards, um they have they do give additional some of them, not all of them, some of them do give additional funding, >> uh to board chairs. >> And I, you know, I don't think this I think this is a sort of a oneoff because we have the money this year. If if we end up with five people on this board again, um

033I think we just go back to it was >> we'll discuss that when we can, but at this point >> say Ray, wouldn't it be beneficial to look at maybe just kind of coming up with a kind of like a tiered system, you know, the board >> Well, we could talk about that >> kind of thing. >> We could talk about that during budgeting. Yeah, >> because we we have the choice then when we're doing budget. >> All right. Uh special education budget. Um I because of the fact that uh the special ed director had said asked him to show me the costs. Uh, I thought, well, it'd be useful to look at what the what the actual budget is and where it's going in a, you know, what it's contracted to pay. Um, so,

034um, would they have this? >> It was in the packet. Yes. I share. Yes, if he was. >> So you guys see this now? >> Yes. >> Yeah. >> Okay. So the spe our total special education budget this this is not a number that was in our actual budget because the costs were such that there was no need to budget in the the line items that would be subject to property taxes. Uh so we have this global budget of 666,000 and change. We have an incoming census block, right? That's money coming in this year, 46,000. We have estimated extraordinary reimbursement. that could you explain what extraordinary is there? >> Yes. So when we have any expenditures related to um a particular students education that exceeds um for this year I believe the threshold is $67,638.

035So any dollar beyond that gets reimbursed at 95% for every dollar in in excess of that. And that's the reimbursement, >> right? >> That's estimated in this case. And then the in the fund balance is the rollover year after year of unspent money for students from our district >> specifically specifically for uh special education. >> Yes, I assume that context. >> Yep. Um, so that's uh 223,000 basically. >> And actually, and I did put the note in there. What you had available this year was 376,000, but I took >> right >> basically what we needed to zero out the assessment and then I used the rest of it uh to apply >> to the early education, right, >> assessment. >> All right. So this but the estimated expenses there's quite a lot of money stacked

036up there on de supply side and then the estimated expenses ends up at being 601 480. So if nothing else, nothing changes which you know of course things always change but maybe for these kids nothing and u we we have a a surplus. Right. >> Right. And that surplus basically would if you looked at the supply side up there would be the difference between the 300 something 376 >> no >> this is potentially >> yeah this is potentially what you'll have carrying over >> carried to offset FY20 >> this would end up in the fund balance for next next budget. agencies >> 28 not 27 correct >> you know so >> so I think it was just a good exercise um for Dr. Abbott to go through to just make sure, you know, we were

037sharing out where things were. >> Yes. >> Um and I think she was just nervous that we we were overexpending what we had budgeted, but >> um once I got it on paper for her, she was like, "Oh, okay. Thank you." >> Yes. Well, that's good. It I was useful for me to ask that question. So you see that the village school is providing the bulk of these services or at least a good chunk of them. The special education staff for the SCSU is providing services for students that from our district in uh local public schools. And uh I did ask the number of those, but I don't care if we know because it's it's a small number most likely, right? And um therefore it would be kind of not in our perview to mention

038it, I think. And then there's out of district tuition and transportation together. Those are only 79,000 versus 80,000. >> Okay. I've read that it's just transportation before, but it's both. >> Correct. >> Okay. Usually the transportation is almost equal with the tuition on these things. Often often it's >> well when you split it multiple ways, the cost can be. >> Okay. And then there are some other there's there's uh Southshore got some money for it clinical services from UCS teleotherapy services SLP services sorry and SBMC SLP services and some vision services. It all adds up to a very substantial sum. But there will be as as it looks right now, there will be a roll over surplus to FY 28. Okay. Um then the other thing is u which I actually you don't have a

039sheet for do you? >> Um the last thing on it's other so I don't know. other well I I uh I have to confess that I overlooked an email from Tim from the village school about the expenses to close out the IAQ grant and uh I did send that off to you to Kieran and Matt. You've looked at it. >> Yep. Yeah. I wish I I'm going to try to I'm gonna have to get it on screen so I can look at it again. >> And Tim sent a late um >> Yeah, I saw that. Uh I there's a a difference in shoot a difference. Yes, it's actually lower than I thought it was. >> Yes. >> And he can explain that, I think. Once I get it up so I can see it. No,

040I can't do this. I'm just just making mistakes. That's cuz I have a long complicated password. Okay. Well, it went from it went from 11 I mean 111301 down to 93 8:45. >> Well, so the I I think the thing I wanted to discuss there there are two two parts to this really. um you know uh there's Okay, so let me just run down the major items uh major not major money but uh the items here. There's um part of part of what Tim is considering cost is loss of rental income for the summer when they were actually doing the work in the building because there are usually there's usually some rental income from a daycare service. That's 8,000 uh ex additional summer cleaning from the what the contractors created in terms of mess. And

041then u there are hours that Tim and our facilities manager put in on the project getting it ready. you know, working with the centerline architects, working with Derek Seager when he was alive, working on the project, working with the contractors, Naylor and Green and um then that's another set of expenses. Then there are additional expenses that centerline architects had that were not paid out of the grant. And where is all that? My life is that I need to look at the next screen. Okay. Then um yeah, then that's about $24,000. And then um [clears throat] there is the um total overrun on construction versus the actual budget the actual IAQ grant which was turns out to be well you have that Dem you can you can bring that up because I don't have that in

042front of me. Yeah. He was >> there we go. >> Uh so what you're looking at there is uh the overrun for Naylor and Breen was about $38,000. >> Okay. >> Um so you you I I you had >> I see I I >> I had I combined I combined Yeah. So you put two things together to get that 63,000. >> So the um it was about 38,000 for nailer and breen and 24,000 for center line. Yes. >> Um and that and those combined are the 63,000. >> Okay. So, um I want to make sure that the board I mean because we do have to pay this although we can't do it tonight because it's not a warranted item but um I want the board to be comfortable with the way this you know the

043items that I discussed I mentioned and I'm obviously we had to pay the construction expenses and the additional uh centerline expenses is and uh since our local construction managers were Tim and um Terren. >> Yeah. Uh we we should pay for that. Um I guess the one I was thinking about was um loss of income. We cover that. That's okay with the board. >> [snorts] >> Well, yeah. I mean I think it's rational [clears throat] but >> at the same time Tim's other question was about uh >> well let's just settle the the amount of this in these two invoices first and then we can talk about the uh return of investment on investment. What what what impact does this have on our on the uh >> it it's it's well within what we I

044mean it's less than half of what we put aside >> for the sinking for the yeah >> I remember we put aside I think 200 was it 200,000 or 250 >> 203,000 yeah >> okay >> so this within within uh range and it's better than what Rey had originally calculated and we're looking at 938, right? >> Yeah, something like that. Yeah, >> I'm >> I I actually I want to congratulate Tim and Terrence on the work that they did and um I fully expected all of that money to be expended and uh they saved us some money or you know overall the project came in uh without too many difficulties that created extra expense. Yeah. >> No, for the age of the building and stuff like that, it was very surprising that we didn't have

045as many hiccups as we anticipated we might. >> Yeah. >> So, I'm good with that. Do we need a motion? >> Um, yeah, I guess if we've got the amount there again. What What' you say it was? 98 something. >> 93844. make a motion to approve that expenditure. >> I'll second. >> All right. All in favor? >> I Okay. So the the other question was um actually a question for it relates to our lease agreement and um Tim do you want to make your argument Tim? Well, I just I just wanted to point out that I mean obviously we we secured the grant, we managed the whole project and it's for a building that's not ours. So, um I just was wondering if there's any way we could um get some sort of um relief

046um on our lease payments for the you know, we've we've added we've added um you know, so much value to the building itself. >> You still there? >> Yeah. All right. Are you still there? >> Yes. Can you hear us? >> Yep. >> Um, >> did I lose you? I'm sorry. >> We're here. >> Okay. >> At least I am. I don't know if >> y'an's here. >> Yep. >> Okay. Well, >> I I think this deserves a little uh not a quick response myself because, you know, the we we haven't I I don't know if we've the rent has been something that we've we're given to help with the school financial situation. Uh and Personally, I never particularly I mean we we were >> it was the sort of a community perspective that we

047needed to charge rent for the building and u it does it is useful to us because it helps helps us pay for the expenses we have to pay for in terms of building based on our concept of what how the lease go that it's we have certain expenses that we have to deal with because >> what's all that noise? >> Yeah, I don't know. >> Is that >> is Oh, Tim Tim's at a thing. I bet he's at a an event or something. Oh, okay. All right. Sorry. Uh, >> my thought on that is that we've not raised the uh the lease amount since the inception of this school, I don't believe. >> Nope, we have none. >> So, that's what um 13 years or >> Yes, over 13 years. Um, and I I get

048Tim's point. They they did the work to >> Yes, they did >> do this stuff, but at the same time, we just devoted to uh to >> pay some >> to pay them for for that work. And you know again ultimately it's about the survival of the school but I don't I would think the argument is if if the building's been made more valuable or uh more better place for people to be. Then one might argue that it's uh one might increase the rent because of the because of the improvements in the building. So I think that kind of goes both ways. I don't know how to >> Yeah, you could you could think about >> you know you now have a building. >> If we were if we were a commercial landlord, we would

049tech, couldn't we? >> Right. Right. >> And we're not. And but we also have uh been uh [sighs and gasps] modulating the the the rent terms based on student occupancy. Right. So, >> yep. Yes. >> So, we've already adjusted the rent for the last most most of the last three years anyway, maybe five. So that's a hard one for me in in with respect to the fact that we that rent uh does help modulate the the tax structure yeartoear. I don't know. I don't know if Tim was what he was thinking about in terms of percentage or >> Right. >> I I don't have a specific number in mind. I was just wanted to float the idea and then we could come up with a formal proposal to see what kind of investment this does

050for the building. You know, how much does it improve the value of the building? Anything like that. That's not something that I have the expertise to answer. But my thought was to just entertain the idea and then we could try and find out what what it actually might be valued at. >> Well, we we can't act on this anyway, right? >> No, we can't. And um I I Let me see. Do we do we have we signed the new lease last year? Is that not correct? Because we had failed to actually >> Yeah, I think we did last year. >> So, we can't toss this into a lease negotiation. U Well, we could. I mean, we could decide to that we wanted to >> conduct a negotiation about the lease and change it. >> So,

051yeah, I we might as well go ahead and have this discussion. I I don't know. I it strikes me that u I think uh I agree with with Matt that you know it seems like we paid for the the investment of time at least to some extent. I mean it wasn't a very high rate but uh um and we have were given a lot of rent over the past few years uh to accommodate enrollment which um I understand it's basically would be helpful if if um the school did not you know reduce had a reduced reduced cost of being in the building and um maybe we could think about reducing the rent and maybe that's the way we should think about it. Well, that's not that doesn't give me any criteria to think about it,

052but uh it does start me thinking about the issue. [clears throat] Um, >> yeah, I think we ought to sit down and talk about this some more because um >> yeah, >> I don't have a strong opinion about it right now. I don't feel comfortable with it. If the board would um approve, may perhaps Ray and I can sit down with Tim um and perhaps a member of their their board um and have this discussion, but it's not anything we can do tonight. So, >> no, we can't can't do it tonight. So, We just brought it up and um we'll talk about it some more, but I I think um um maybe we should sit down, Dan, Matt, and I and maybe somebody from the village school board and hash it out a little bit

053more, even if come up with an idea. Okay, >> that sounds worthwhile. Thank you. >> Yeah. So that being that's the end of our meeting. Um because I don't think there's anything else to bring up. That was another after all. And I don't have any FYIs on here. >> I'll make a motion to adjurnn. >> Second. >> All right. Then all in favor? Hi. >> Hi. >> I'm the last one to >> be in favor. So, yes, we're done. Thank you very much, gentlemen. Thank you, Lori.

This transcript may contain errors introduced by automated or source-provided captioning. Bracketed descriptions such as [Music] are retained from the source. Passage divisions are editorial aids and do not alter the wording.