CorpusRecord 74397

12.16.25 B.O.E. Work Session & Business Meeting Part I

A searchable transcript preserved as part of the Discourse Corpus. Passage numbers provide stable references within this record; verify quotations against the original recording when available.

Source
YouTube / Germantown Municipal School District
Date
2025-12-17
Location
Shelby County, TN
Material
Transcript
Extent
3,843 words · about 22 min
Collected
2026-06-08

Transcript

Verbatim source text

001Ladies and gentlemen, uh, good evening and welcome to the GMSD Board of Education work session, Wednesday, this 16th of December, 2025. The meeting is now called to order at 5:33 p.m. The first item on the agenda is um an opportunity for Superintendent Manuel to provide us with an update on the HHS master plan progress. >> You say it's me, but I think this could actually be all of us. >> Yes, all of us. Um as you know, this has been a process that we've been working on I I would say five or six um years now, I think. Um, Chairman Strain, you actually attended several meetings with us with the city uh, administration and then handed the baton off to uh, Chairman Griffith so that we could work through this process. You know, we went

002engaged through a a big process to engage all of our stakeholders and and think about what could Houston High School be uh, so that we could come up to the 21st century standards for for what we and the programs that we have in our school. And so it's been an ongoing process. We've been having those joint meetings with the city. Uh and you know that we are not done with that process, but we wanted the board to have time to talk about where we are um in our discussions with them. So as you know, um anytime that the property values increase, uh it's the windfall law, I think is the unofficial name for it. the city cannot just take all the additional taxes when our property values go up. They have to uh reinstate and

003and move the tax rate uh so that they're not getting a windfall of taxes. But in doing so, when they did that, they did not lower it all the way down based on those increases. They did keep some additional tax revenue uh for educational purposes and for city purposes. And they pushed this out through their communications. So, know that um they did include in that last tax change that they did when they were um restating the the tax rate, they did include um about $10 million worth of debt services in order to fund um improvements at Houston High School. So we have had those discussions when we met with the joint BMA and BOE um meetings that we we knew that that is something that uh we were looking at and that is uh the

004primary first amount of money that we are going to look at and I think after our last meeting Chairman Griffith you can say um I'm feel fairly confident that that is something that we are going to be able to work with once this all um settles out. So do you feel comfortable in saying that that is um what we are going to receive based on our discussions? >> Yes, I would say that as it's as it was left a week or so ago in our most recent get together with city administration. Again, I want to thank Superintendent Superintendent Emanuel and Deputy Superintendent Kathy for participating in those gatherings um being very prepared and um providing good context for our um budget and funding and also our needs. What I understood is exactly what superintendent just

005said is that and when we pointedly asked this question just to be clear that the um tax rate that he just described that was announced by the city, the most recent adjustment that is earmarked toward the $10 million that had been described as something that um they had approved in their recent budget and what has continued to be mentioned in our joint work sessions with the city. I think that we are all hopeful that there would be additional um funding from other identified sources, whether that be getting creative or um with private partnerships. Um some of the things that we've uh looked at and some of the aldermen have recommended, it will ultimately come to them to determine how they may identify those streams. again, we can only bring the need and then do the

006work based on what is allocated for us. And I think that's what we're here to talk about tonight. >> So, um, that's going to be really our first steps. And I think that one of the things that we need to talk about with our communities and and you know, as a board, um, we have been tackling and and biting off projects from our strategic plan as we've been going through this. So the example would be I think they had allocated about 6 to7 million and the original plans to um upgrade the stadium. So they were talking about moving the stadium about 50 ft uh redoing the stands. We have already completed that um project uh last summer uh when we have the new uh stands, we have the new track. Uh know that we have

007accomplished that. We have done ceiling ting grid in a portion of the high school. Uh know that um we are looking at the back property. They're going through the architect and engineering process right now now so that we can add um and we're going to go out to bid hopefully both a turf field and we can get a track around it but if not we would be looking at um turf field first probably but that'll be a board decision. So, we are tackling those projects um one at a time as as best as possible, but know that I think the next steps for us um based upon that $10 million that they said they're going to give us um we are going to go back to the drawing board with our administration at the school,

008with our stakeholders, our staff members, and talk about the needs. Now, we've already we already know what those major needs are. Uh primarily, we've been talking about the orchestra room that's in the old plant manager's office. uh know that that is something that we want to address. Uh we've been talking about visual arts space. The fact that we have an art class um that is occurring in a essentially a storage room that's in between science labs is another area that we want to accomplish. We're looking at choir space. Um so know that that space is is important for us. And so not a full fine arts wing like we were looking at in the big plans, but know that we're looking at those fine arts um spaces. And then the school has been talking about

009the cafeteria space. Know that that is a a big need when they talk about how they build their schedule because the number of students they can fit in that cafeteria space determines the whole schedule because you're having to build around um that lunch schedule. So that we're going to try to accomplish all of that with that first um influx of of money that we receive. Um, and we're optimistic about what we can do, but we want to work with the the staff members, the administration who are using those spaces to help design and really do this. And we're g and if we don't if we accomplish more than that, that's wonderful, too. Um, but know that those are going to be the first priorities for us. Um, so um that'll be first step. Then it

010gets a little bit um unclear as far as next steps for us. So, one of the things that the the city has said and and they're optimistic about what they can accomplish for us, but know that um in the discussions that we've had with the um BMA and um and the BOE, they've been talking about cash flowing projects. And so, you know, that's their their preference because they do have limitations around um their debt capacity. So, the reason that we are looking at the fine arts spaces that small addition with with $10 million you can't accomplish big projects. So, we can't have a a a full varsity gym space with with the 10 mill. You can't do that with $10 million. We can't do a full uh auditorium um new auditorium with $10 million. So,

011what we're talking about doing um with those spaces or or what can we accomplish? So, that'll be the next step for us to work with the city uh over the next few years. how can we um renovate um our auditorium spaces so that we can fit at least two grades of students into that auditorium space and um don't have the plastic chairs that are are breaking as you're sitting in that auditorium space. Um but that's an objective for us is to renovate that auditorium space. So the city has said that um they want to partner with us on how can we cash flow and and work to accomplish a renovation on the auditorium. And then the the next objective for us uh and they're saying about seven to eight years um that we would be

012looking at the next big um funding stream for us and how can we accomplish a varsity gym for us that can fit the student body in it so that we can have a pep rally with all the students there. So um those are the challenges for us. uh in the discussions they've said that um I think they gain um as they're paying down on their debts uh about two to$ two and a half million dollars a year and I think you all been those meetings Mr. Ellis you can jump in anytime too um that's how much they gain in debt capacity uh each year so looking at seven to eight years for us um you know there would be a a pot of money that that we would be um hopeful to receive. So, um,

013Chairman Griffith or any board members, if you'all want to talk about next steps or, um, what information we want to discuss, but that's really the update that we have for, um, our negotiations right now and our discussions with the city. I just wanted to reiterate something that was just noted by the superintendent that in the most recent gettogether it was absolutely expressed that while this grand plan that we've continued to pair back whittle down and um you know pull out nice to haves versus need to haves u from the things that were identified from our stakeholders both on campus and in the community that this long range what I'm going to hope is more a six to sevenyear plan to get to this auditorium goal is indeed a renovation. You know, I think that that

014was the big takeaway. It's like, okay, there's a big difference between tearing it down and building it up and that it was going to just incur all kinds of other um parts of the project, road work, this and that on campus. And that this we can still have nice things. We've done it before where we've renovated and still achieved the ultimate goal that we're trying to which is capacity and upgrades and updating. Um so that is going to be a bit of the message I think that needs to be clear to the world and the community that we serve is it's not that it's kicking the can down the road. It's the next chunk of the bigger project that the city feels like they can help us substantially um you know get a hold of

015financially so that that's next. It's is it in the timeline that I mean no we all want it yesterday, right? I think that's the thing and I think that's what we're going to hear and part of our um community outreach and and conversations are going to, you know, we're going to do a lot of listening, but we're also going to have to tell the real story. And I think it's important to go, we're not going to build a brand new house, but we are trying our best to take the resources that are being, you know, budgeted down the road to get quality renovations that are really going to serve our students. >> I just got two things. Um, so for I guess the revision of the plan that we're going to do, what's the realistic

016timeline? Because I I guess I'm looking at it right now. Time is money. And so like how quickly do you think we can pivot to something to where when we get and I don't know, I'm I'm going to think positively here and think that the the money would be earlier uh next fiscal year rather than later. Um, and so let's just say that we have, you know, 10 million at our disposal in, you know, August 1st of 2026. How quickly would we be able to try to pivot to get moving on something? That's the first part. Mr. >> Yeah. So, just for so people who are watching, um, they were saying that they would be going out to bond um this fall. So whether that's a So we're not clear on um the exact timing

017of when they're going to go out to bond. So So cash in hand um that's okay >> not completely defined. >> Second, I know we're going to need it. Are we able to get down to the penny on what we've already spent over there? So I'm thinking of stadium, ceiling tile and grid elevator, you know, any anything that intercom system. uh because I think that's going to be important to have to show here's our contribution to the project because I don't want it to be said that we didn't contribute more than you know our fair share or whatever because I I think that that will come up. So I want to make sure that we have it to the penny. Yes. Hey, here's what we've contributed and you know and we've done our part to

018help >> and that'll be part of our communications too. Um some of the challenges that we faced um were around our five-year um plan, our master's facility plan. And I don't know if you remember some of those discussions that we had as a group. Um they really wanted us to look at going all the way through five years and looking at putting a revenue stream with each project um on our five-year plan. I had several problems with that. Um the first problem I have with that um is the fact that we don't have defined revenue streams. um know that this board has been budgeting on average about a million dollars towards that capital improvement um plan when we look we'll look at our capital improvement plan. So we can be fairly sure uh unless we

019see declines in revenue and then that's going to be one of the first areas that we would cut would be that u but secondly our biggest pot of money is from the Shelby County Commission. As you know we don't have a direct link to the uh Shelby County Commission. We receive our um WFTD ADA share based on our number of students that we have. So, when they do a request for um capital improvements, we get our share of that money. Now, I can tell you the average, we've been receiving about $2.5 million. Um but you you've read the news and seen that there's no expectation that we're going to receive capital funds um going into this next year unless Shelby County Commission uh and Shelby County Schools um clears up some of their their challenges.

020So, I do not think it would be wise to count on projects being completed with those defined revenues. So, I don't feel good saying year five from now, we're going to have 2 and a.5 million from Shelby County and it's going to be used for this project. Um, I don't think that's a valid um use of our time. The other challenge I have with that is the fact that um the city in in the past four years has not funded projects from that five-year plan. So, why are we trying to muddy the waters or stick those two parts of the plan together? Um, so we have said to them, our ask is for them, and this is what we reiterated with them, our ask for them is to fund the Houston High School plans. We

021are going to work with our other revenue streams to fund those other projects at our other schools. We're asking them to fund uh Houston High School. So, when we submit our capital improvement projects, you know, Mr. Kathy in the past has been submitting every project we have to them, and they've been choosing every now and then. I think it's been four years since they came in with uh Houston Middle School's project. Um, but know that we are not going to do that. We are just going to be submitting Houston High School to them uh for our requests. >> And that was made abundantly clear. I anticipate that being the kind of public push out of the next joint work session. Um, while we've maintained that from the beginning, it is now crystal clear on both

022sides. And I appreciate what board member Curry was asking because that was my very question last week in the most recent meeting and was the reminder of all the things that we've already pulled out of the plan. Um, we're well up to I bet, excuse me, Mr. Kathy did some quick math while we were at the table the other day and it was almost 6 million just in some of the things that we've already pulled as the lowhanging fruit that we wanted to achieve for um, you know, things that we could afford. So, um that is all that we have as far as updates unless you all have other questions or concerns about um what next steps are for us. Um I know that um I think it was shared with us that the city

023had postponed their vote on um changing their debt capacity. Um but I think that was enable in order for them to just fully answer all the questions from their alderman. It wasn't necessarily a sign that they weren't going to change their debt capacity for for future years. projects. >> Um, >> sorry, I just had a question. So, you know, they're going to go out to bonds in the fall and that's $10 million. I mean, when do you if you have any idea when can you expect that $10 million to be put to use in our schools if we get it before the end of 201? >> So, so in the in the fall, we will receive it during the next fiscal year. So, so my guess is uh we are going to proceed with all

024of our plans developing and designing with the architects and and get everything ready to spend that $10 million so that hopefully when we get ready to do that um we'll be ready to break ground and proceed. So that's our objective. We made it very clear that we are going to continue to do good work, be good stewards, business as usual with our existing plan, but that we were also not going to waste any time uh doing exactly what was just described, which is being ready so that we're not losing any more time because again, time is money. We've also waited a few years longer than we had hoped. So, we want to get going as soon as absolutely possible. >> Well, Mr. Gates, what you may have been thinking too is, you know, when we

025start seeing something done at the school, I mean, I think it would be at least at the earliest be the summer of 27 before we could start. >> Yeah, that's a fair >> Yeah. While we can while we share constituencies, his is is a little more like like are we going to get something while we're in while we're here? Now, that that doesn't mean that you're not going to see work work done. So, as you know, um this board has said that we are moving forward with that back property. The city has released that property to us. So, we're going forward with the that process to have a turf and track back there hopefully both. Um but we are going to go through that process, design that and you'll see that before you you see

026the 10 million put to use. So, there are great things coming. Also too, um, when we look at what's on tap for us for the projects, finishing the ceiling tile and grid project, which means LED lightings in in the school, bathroom renovations, all those things are proceeding, but those aren't coming from the city funds. That's that's from us. >> Right. I think it's important to, Mr. gates for you to tell your fellow students. That again, while as I understand it, going forward, we'll only be submitting capital improvement requests related to the high school plan, that doesn't mean that's the only things that we will be doing at with the high school. We will still continue to put money into and complete other projects as we can, you know, balanced with our other properties. Yeah, y'all

027done a great job of informing me and and uh students understand exactly where we are. So, we're super excited. I was just making, you know, this is new $10 million. Um that's a lot of money. There's a lot of things that can be done with that. So, um you know, it's important to set expectations. >> Yes. Yes. It's very good. But I always like to temper expectations. Just so everybody can be aware, our addition at Houston Middle School, for example, was a $17 million project. So, uh, if you think about Houston Middle School's addition, taking that and scaling that back down, you you'll see something that that's not as as grand as what we have at Houston Middle School or not as much. It'll still be grand. It'll still be really good, but it won't

028have as much square feet. >> Are there any other questions or comments on agenda item number one? Agenda item number two is further business. I would like to ask um our legislative liaison, board member Curry, since we are considering the legislative agenda this evening, do you have a preference as to how we discuss that? I'm assuming that it gets added to the agenda. >> Yeah, I'm I'm trying to be sensitive to time here. Uh so we're going to have to have a super quick discussion. Um, basically >> I was asking if I didn't know if you wanted to to open it up the discussion um during the business meeting if we add it to the agenda to be considered or if you want to do I think we have you >> I'd like to see

029if maybe Mr. Curry could just highlight any changes from the last changes in that. Yeah. So and then we'll do that. Yeah. So thank you. Uh every section is the same minus one. Uh early childhood special education funding no changes to that. Accountability and transparency no changes to that. I think that we're still advocating for that. Uh they had the hearings this summer to address some of those items. We have not seen the reports. The reports I think are supposed to be due any day now. So, we'll see what comes out of those. But I think those are items worth still pursuing. Uh providing additional incentives to encourage individuals to enter into and remain in the teaching profession. I think that stays the same. And then finally, allow school districts use the ACT or SAT

030suites of assessments instead of the statemandated assessments. I think that all stays the same. The section that I wondered if we needed to just either modify or exclude at this point uh was dealing with the school choice uh that we support the rights of parents to choose the educational outcome. We do not support the use of taxpayer dollars and it refers to the education freedom act. That's law that's not changing. Um, I don't know how much oxygen in my opinion. I mean, we can say our objections, but nothing we do or say is going to change the course of the general assembly there. So, I think the question at this point is is how much ink do we dedicate to that. I think we're against it. I mean, we can have I I think if

031we were to reward it, it would be fully fund items like early childhood special education before adding to the vouchers. Do something like that. But just saying, "Hey, we're against vouchers at this point." that that ship has sailed. It's not coming back. So, you know, I think fundamentally we're against it, but I'm also like if if we have if we're bringing in, you know, Chairman White, you know, we might give, hey, you know, we're we're not for an expansion, but the reality is is that we're not going to spend our meeting time with him talking about that. we're going to be talking about the assessments and then the early childhood special education things probably that um you know that maybe we can influence the outcome on. So I'm trying to I'm just trying to be

032realistic about our footing on that and that that would be the only suggestion that I have is either a modification or removing that but again I serve at the will of the board on that. I'm very I would absolutely like to keep something on there and understand what you're saying about modifying frankly just to that end about our not supporting the expansion. However we could best word that would be my recommendation. >> Yeah. I mean I I would keep it. I mean the general assembly the speaker of the house is already discussing an additional $20,000 scholarships to $7,000 a scholarship. I think it's a very live issue uh in in addition to not only the the act from last year but expanding the ESA act. And so I think we certainly need to keep it

033in there. >> I'm typing here on the fly. I think what we'll say is we're going to leave the first sentence in there saying that we fully support the right of parents to choose the educational um outcome that yield the best or options that yield the best outcome. However, the board does not support the expansion of the education freedom scholarship. Do we say without do we want to do the quality? >> I mean, I would just keep it as is if it was if it's me. Well, well, I think the thing is is that we are saying I think we were referring to So, we're saying such as the Education Freedom Act of 2025. So, do Okay. Okay. Say, >> right. Oh, I'm sorry. Could you add like keep it as is since that's been

034enacted? think I understand what you're saying, but if since it says such as I just said air quotes, y'all. >> Um, >> you'd say such as such as >> expanding current Yeah. >> voucher >> reference the proposed expansion, >> which is frankly the talking point that we're opposed to. >> So such as Okay, so we'll say accountability as public schools such as expansion of the of the Okay, so I think we're adding basically three words there. expansion of the >> Okay, >> I think that's the message. >> Yeah. I I just like I said, I I wanted it on record, but also know that again, like if we're going to meet with legislators in Nashville, that's not coming up. We're trying >> Oh, it might. Um >> Well, let's remember, you know, $7,000 a student

035towards capital improvements could go a long way. >> Probably could. >> Instead of vouchers. >> Okay. So anyway, that it's it's pretty straight uh to the point on that. Um I we'll see. I think the the session is going to be a little bit abbreviated with Easter coming earlier. They're and it's an election year, so they're going to want to get out of town as quickly as possible. So I don't know how much um is really going to be accomplished up there um coming up. Um we'll see. But uh this would be uh you know that my plan would be if if it's added to the agenda for my legislative report, I will just read in to the record the agenda and then take a vote on it at that time based on the reading

036in. >> So the only question we have before us then is do we want to add it as an action items or do you want to add it under the consent agenda? >> Um I I don't know. We'll just let's just have it as an action item. >> I think that sounds good. We will we will modify the agenda as we get into the session. >> Make the motion to improve as amended. >> Great. Is there uh any further further business? there is uh for the sake of time I'll be as brief as possible on this but I would like to um start a I guess discussion uh amongst us uh regarding uh any legality that is present for us to put some guards uh in our policies and procedures when it comes to determining

037if children are residing out of the district. uh based upon the policies that we currently have and when we uh remove uh those children from the classroom if it is found that they are residing out of the district. Uh I am bringing this to the board's attention uh as something I think we should have a further discussion on due to the fact I've heard a few times uh particularly uh towards the end of the semester uh that children have been removed from the schools because they have been found to not be residing in the district. I think our enforcement of those procedures and policies is very important. However, I do think that we possibly need to have some discussion and maybe bring in Miss Speakman's counsel on this regarding do we have the ability to

038set a time, you know, if if we find out, you know, with two weeks left in in the semester, hey, we we don't have to take action then for the sake of the child's, you know, education, health, all the things that come could come along with that. uh and then just you know enforce the action at the start of the next semester or whatever uh time frame that we decide is appropriate but I do believe that a discussion on that is in order. >> Thank you. Um we can work on um future one identifying some of the questions u proposed to legal just to get some direction and then um have a discussion maybe at the upcoming work session around that at the turn of the year. Hard to believe we're here. Thank you very

039much. Anything else? The December 16th, 2025 work session is adjourned at 6:02 M.

This transcript may contain errors introduced by automated or source-provided captioning. Bracketed descriptions such as [Music] are retained from the source. Passage divisions are editorial aids and do not alter the wording.